SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   brake question (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/brake-question-7763/)

woodman 11-12-2005 02:43 AM

brake question

Will the F4i calipers work with the SH master cylinder or do I need the matching master cylinder?

thanks

SlowHAWK 11-12-2005 10:20 AM

Re: brake question

I'd assume it will "work" but you'll probably have alot of travel at the lever..... the calipers pistons in the F4i, 929, RC, etc. are bigger, which I'm assuming will require you to push a bit more fluid to acutate correctly/easily.... I'd suggest matching the calipers to the MC you use to avoid any unwanted results.

J.

Riccardo 11-12-2005 04:45 PM

On my VTR I have 32-34mm front calipers, probably from a CBR 600, that work well with stock master cylinder.
Surely a bigger M/C will work better, less travel and more "feeling", but also the stock one is good enough.
Ciao

woodman 11-12-2005 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Riccardo";p=&quot (Post 12419)
On my VTR I have 32-34mm front calipers, probably from a CBR 600, that work well with stock master cylinder.
Surely a bigger M/C will work better, less travel and more "feeling", but also the stock one is good enough.
Ciao

Did you notice much improvement in braking with just replacing the calipers?

superbling 11-12-2005 08:58 PM

EBC HH++ pads and SS lines on the VTR calipers work REAL well too. If you want monster brakes, then swapping out calipers and the m/c is next.

Also, another thing that affects front brake performance/feedback is the tire. Replacing the OEM crap 204's for something more modern did wonders for my front end.

woodman 11-13-2005 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by superbling";p=&quot (Post 12431)
EBC HH++ pads and SS lines on the VTR calipers work REAL well too. If you want monster brakes, then swapping out calipers and the m/c is next.

Also, another thing that affects front brake performance/feedback is the tire. Replacing the OEM crap 204's for something more modern did wonders for my front end.

I have already replaced the brake lines with SS and there is a noticeable improvement in feel but the stopping power is still not good enough to suit me. Was'nt sure if HH pads would be enough of an improvement.
Some people who have done the SS lines and HH pads say it works good others say it does'nt. Initial bite is poor with the stock pads. It takes a hard squeeze right from the beginning.
I put on a set of Avon AV 49/50 SP Pro and took the SH for a ride down some of my favorite twisties yesterday and must say the difference between them and the stockers is like night and day. Better grip, more feel, quicker turn in and more stable. This is the first time I have used Avon tires and so far very impressed. Now to see how long they last.

superbling 11-13-2005 06:07 AM

Powerful initial bite is best thing about HH pads IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to steer you away from modding. In fact, once you consider new SS lines (approx $100) and HH pads (approx $75), you in the ball park of a a complete gsxr 6 piston (usually $200) or cbr/rc setup (under $200) and have a MUCH better brake system.

Riccardo 11-13-2005 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by woodman";p=&quot (Post 12421)

Absolutely yes!!!!!!!
I also ave SS line, but the difference between stock VTR calipers and "bigger" calipers like 929, 954, RC 51 etc. is impressive!!!!
Highly recommended!!!
Ciao

woodman 11-13-2005 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Riccardo";p=&quot (Post 12439)

Originally Posted by woodman";p=&quot (Post 12421)

Absolutely yes!!!!!!!
I also ave SS line, but the difference between stock VTR calipers and "bigger" calipers like 929, 954, RC 51 etc. is impressive!!!!
Highly recommended!!!
Ciao

Is there and difference in the lever travel with the calipers you installed?

Riccardo 11-21-2005 02:57 PM

Is there and difference in the lever travel with the calipers you installed?
Nothing significant!
Ciao

superhawk22 11-21-2005 04:34 PM

I put on a set of Avon AV 49/50 SP Pro and took the SH for a ride down some of my favorite twisties yesterday and must say the difference between them and the stockers is like night and day. Better grip, more feel, quicker turn in and more stable. This is the first time I have used Avon tires and so far very impressed. Now to see how long they last.[/quote]

Woodman I hope you have better luck with those than I did. I liked them as far as feel and stick, once they warmed up that is I almost lowsided once because they seem to take alittle longer to warm up. But unfortunatly I only got about 2800 out of the rear, this may be my fault because of how I ride. Let me know what youo get out of them if you remember.

woodman 11-21-2005 05:59 PM

I'll be sure to post how many miles I get out of them. So far grip is excellent, I have leaned it farther tha ever. First ride on the twisties I took them right to the edge. No chicken strips.

If I can get 2800 miles from them I'll be happy. Most sport tires around here won't see 2000 miles

superhawk22 11-21-2005 06:05 PM

Wow, :shock: you must have some rough roads or something. I usually get about 3500 out of a good sticky tire on hot Florida roads.

superhawk22 11-21-2005 06:07 PM

Oh and I agree with bling I have the 6 pot gsxr brakes and 320mm rotors and all I can say is HOLY SH!# do they stop on a dime!!!

woodman 11-21-2005 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot (Post 12716)
Wow, :shock: you must have some rough roads or something. I usually get about 3500 out of a good sticky tire on hot Florida roads.

Yes alot of our roads are rough chip and seal. Just took the rear Pilot Power off the back of my Aprilia Futura, a bike I don't ride hard, and it was down to the wear bars at 1800 miles with 2 plugs in it. The little stones would cut it. Metzerer M1's on my R1 were bald in 1300 miles. I spend alot of money each year for tires on 2 bikes.

woodman 11-21-2005 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot (Post 12717)
Oh and I agree with bling I have the 6 pot gsxr brakes and 320mm rotors and all I can say is HOLY SH!# do they stop on a dime!!!

Are you using the SH master cylinder with the Gixxer calipers?

superhawk22 11-21-2005 06:32 PM

Yes, I have a gsxr master but haven't put it on yet and truthfully I'm not sure I will. They work really well without it but I'm sure that has something to do with the larger rotors as well. I think they'll also work a little better with the other master but I used them for the first time on the track and it was a HUGE improvemet from when I had stock brakes on it.

woodman 11-22-2005 03:41 AM

Are you using 320mm rotors with the stock forks?

superhawk22 11-22-2005 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No, although they do have a kit at kneedraggers.com but it cost just about as much as I spent on my new front end. Gsxr front forks with 929/954 triples and RC51 wheel and rotors. Look on the forum under 929/954 front end if you want info on it. But this is before I got the 900rr wheel on back so it looks a little goofy.