SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Brake Issue (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/brake-issue-31499/)

Robster851 12-24-2013 01:56 AM

Brake Issue

Merry Christmas one and all

I'm a newbie on the forum here having just swapped a Ducati supersport for a VTR1000.

Obviously I like the honda as i've just bought it :D its easy to lookafter and no where near as single purpose as the duc.

But I'm a bit disappointed by the hondas brakes and front forks.

The brakes are pretty weak and there is a definate pulsing in them. I understand they're meant to be floating so after checking for solutions on the forum have checked the discs for any obvious glazing, checked the bobbins to make sure theyre free and just had the pads out to check. I was shocked to find they were some kind of Nissin HH pads -certainly dont have the bite or power of the brembos and that was with organic pads.

What should I be looking to check/ change next? I read somehwre here that the stock brake lines can lead to pulsing at the lever?? I'm looking to fit braided lines - will this fix this issue?

Any thoughts or input appreciated!

JamieDaugherty 12-24-2013 07:40 AM

If they are pulsing you have a warped rotor. That normally only happens after a crash where the forks have been twisted in the triples. I would suggest getting new/replacement rotors and I think you will find a big improvement in the braking performance.

comedo 12-24-2013 07:58 AM

Check the sticky "List of Bolt-On Front Brake Mods" in the Modifications-Performance sub-forum. The old rubber lines, stock pads and stock calipers you've got now will stop the bike but not as well as braided lines, Vesrah RJL's and calipers and master cylinders from a number of other Honda sportbikes.

E.Marquez 12-24-2013 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty (Post 366623)
If they are pulsing you have a warped rotor. That normally only happens after a crash where the forks have been twisted in the triples. I would suggest getting new/replacement rotors and I think you will find a big improvement in the braking performance.

:thumbsup:

That in addition to bent rotors from disk lock Opps..

And brake pad material transfer to the disk.

On a non track bike that my dial indicator shows minimal disk run out inside service limits.. reconditioning the rotor surface makes a huge difference in feel, pulsing, grabbyness of older brakes.. also really helpful at each pad change to touch up the disk surface.

Look at the Brake Tech "Rotor Hone"
Rotor Hone

dickard43 12-24-2013 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty (Post 366623)

+1