SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   blew my ign/strt fuse today while going over a bump... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/blew-my-ign-strt-fuse-today-while-going-over-bump-9377/)

EngineNoO9 08-21-2006 02:23 PM

blew my ign/strt fuse today while going over a bump...

so I was riding with my bro today and we were headed south toward the beach and there's some small bridges through the marsh and well they all have big bumps. Well you slow down and hit them and I did. But the last one we hit after I went over it cut out... :confused: tried to refire. Nothing... Tried to clutch it... nothing... wtf! My initial thought was OH NO my cct went after just recently replacing them and the bump caused it to skip. I mean that makes somewhat sense... Now when I was pushing it up to a road I heard clunking now I'm thinking that was maybe my cell phone hitting something but I'll never know... Tried starting. Didn't see nothing... I'm sitting there thinking that I just lost the motor (but I didn't see smoke and it was still cranking so hmmm)... We had a trailer setup to get so I wouldn't have to get it towed (would've cost a small fortune) and we had 4-5 people stop. Well one guy in a pickup stopped and said well lets check out the fuses. Popped it, tried pulling them (I can't pull them with my fingers...) and luckily my bro had a fuse puller since I can't find my leatherman... Well second one in the ign/start fuse was busted... Replaced it. VROOOOOOM!!! started right up... Now my question is how the hell would it have blown there... I'm gonna trace some wires to see what I can find but I'm not sure what would've done it. Now I'm gonna go get some replacements and carry a small bag with me cause they only give you one of each type (10 and 20). Any help would be appreciated

superhawk22 08-21-2006 02:33 PM

By the sound of it you have a loose or exposed wire somewhere in that circuit. Man what's with your luck and that bike? Good luck finding it, you're going to have to trace the wires and see what you can find but one of them is shorting out somewhere. Hit bump, jar wire, short out, blow fuse, good luck I hate electrical.

EngineNoO9 08-21-2006 02:53 PM

well yeah I'm gonna do that. luckily the ignition wires aren't too hard to follow... but it seems weird. I'm relieved it isn't dead like I initially thought...

E.Marquez 08-21-2006 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by EngineNoO9
well yeah I'm gonna do that. luckily the ignition wires aren't too hard to follow... but it seems weird. I'm relieved it isn't dead like I initially thought...

Check and open the wiring harness, every place it bends, rubs aganst the frame, fairing, ect ect. It does sound like you have an exsposed wire grounding or shorting out.

Scooberhawk 08-21-2006 03:08 PM

Another less likely explanation is that the fuse was old, and had slightly corroded to a point where it increased resistance in the circuit too much. The actual fusable link may have been exposed to moisture through an imperfection in the fuse's manufacturing.

Also, I know circuit breakers trip over time, seemingly randomly.

It would be a good idea to check some connections though, too.

Say how long were you riding before it blew? The information could prove useful in the future.

omniouslink 09-02-2006 09:15 PM

I agree with the short in the line. I've never had a fuse blow for no reason. not to say that it can happen but....
Good luck with the search. I hate wiring :(