SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   A bit of rotten luck~~~ (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/bit-rotten-luck%7E%7E%7E-15550/)

renaisstar 07-24-2008 09:06 PM

A bit of rotten luck~~~

Hi, all~~~~~
My '98 broke its drive chain....the rivet type master link wasn't sufficiently
pressed and riveted, or whatever....the chain wound up jammed in around the
engine sprocket, shattering the sprocket cover, but sparing the attached
clutch slave cylinder[!].
But the worst part of it turned out to be the damage to the threaded
bolt bosses [into which the engine sprocket cover bolts thread]----
All three bosses were all but knocked off by the chain---my question
is this----is there an alternative to replacing the crankcase half itself?
Can the bosses be restored, by, say, a skilled TIG operator-with an
aluminum welding outfit--material added, drilled, tapped, and ground flat
so that the sprocket cover could be reattached, along with the clutch cylinder?
Am I dreaming, or is this viable?

R.

zmaniv 07-24-2008 09:32 PM

No your bike is fucked sell me your Ohlins rear shock :)

dakmatik 07-24-2008 11:46 PM

I'd try a helicoil first. You should be able to find them at most auto parts stores, and if they don't work, you won't be out much.
http://www.atlanticfasteners.com/gra...eer_ii_ins.jpg

renaisstar 07-25-2008 12:57 AM

Helicoil what?there's not enoughhole left to helicoil...
Shock? It's your dime....make an offer...:D

Tweety 07-25-2008 01:15 AM

It's probably possible, but my guess would be that the cost of labour outweigh the cost of a second hand engine cover on eBay...

FTMS 07-25-2008 03:25 AM

It is possible to TIG weld something like that. I have done it to case halfs before. As far as cost goes, that will depend on how much damage was done.

Good luck

gboezio 07-25-2008 03:53 AM

You need to keep it cool and make small passes, then drill and tap as straight as you can, get a high quality tap, get new bolts and beer
Good luck wounded bird !!

sumthin_major 07-25-2008 04:29 AM

post some pics to show us the carnage. If you decide to part out the bike I want the two bros pipes

Scoutpilot 07-25-2008 05:14 AM

Sorry to hear about what happened!!! That totally blows. Dibs on the Corbin. I hope it ends up working out though.

RCVTR 07-25-2008 05:53 AM

Sorry to hear that! Not good.

I don't think you'd want to weld it with it assembled and I'm afraid the case may warp.
I think the biggest problem is you don't really have a good reference point to work from, because every surface is curved in that area. If you could get something cobbled up, you'd want to mount it in a mill to machine it flat and get the holes drilled and tapped accurately.

It may be possible, but you might just want to find an engine. Swap it out and be done with it.

Good luck!

Little_Horse 07-25-2008 07:24 AM

Im a tig welder, where are you located? If you are close I'd do it for free, you know help out the brotheren. Anyways can you post a pic of the damage so we can see if it really could be welded back together.

E.Marquez 07-25-2008 07:34 AM

Yes it can be done.... Just did it on a bike (not SH) a few weeks back. It was easiest too remove all of the broken part of the threaded bosses (same deal chain destroyed them) Then I cut and threaded three pieces of round stock.. Welded them in place, did some clean up with a carbide bur, mounted the case saver, and cover.. No one will even notice.

Case replacement is the better choice,, but this can be done.
Labor is the deciding factor. If you do not have a competent welder that will do it at a good price, after you pull the motor... or maybe even in the frame but everything stripped away.. then not worth the cost IMHO.
Good luck,, oh,, and we want pictures

Cleveland 07-25-2008 07:34 AM

jeez... you bunch of vultures.. lol..

Get a second hand case from ebay... put it on and ride it. Trying to fix it will take more time and suffering (yours .. ie: blood, sweat, and tears)

Sorry to hear about it, though..

RCVTR 07-25-2008 08:02 AM

cleveland, I finally figured out what your thumbnail, icon, picture thing is.

I like it!

killer5280 07-25-2008 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by RCVTR (Post 173267)

I like it!

I never even looked at it before, but, now that I have, I like it too.:D

Tweety 07-25-2008 10:36 AM

It's very subtle... in a very unsubtle way...:D

Hotbrakes 07-25-2008 10:39 AM

That sucks. My buddies 929 just threw the clip style master link on the interstate but I don't think it damaged the cover too bad. I'm gonna go press my master links again just in case.

Cleveland 07-25-2008 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by RCVTR (Post 173267)

I like it!

Originally Posted by killer5280 (Post 173268)
I never even looked at it before, but, now that I have, I like it too.:D

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 173284)
It's very subtle... in a very unsubtle way...:D

lol.. thanks guys.. I love when you guys let me know the light came on... it's hilarious.. Most people do just that.. look, give it no thought, move on.. then they look again.. and HEY!!!! .. once you see it, it's hard to see anything else..

shayne 07-26-2008 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cleveland (Post 173265)
Get a second hand case from ebay... put it on and ride it. Trying to fix it will take more time and suffering (yours .. ie: blood, sweat, and tears)

This will require an engine strip down, and also you will need to give consideration to bearing sizes, as the case you buy may be different to the stock one. The case and crank are coded to determine the correct bearing shell, so make sure you get this right. May be easier to swap a complete engine.

I would be trying to repair it as suggested above.

mduck 12-26-2013 02:35 PM

Holy crap, SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME, chain broke, ripped all three little threaded studs off the casing and bent the clutch pushrod..
I have a tig welder, but no too much experience lol.. I will be trying to remove the engine and weld them back on since i have all of them ( they stayed on the ends of the bolts)

Pain in the ass, i will try and take pictures to make a thread about it so people can see it is possible, i would swap the engine but the bike just runs so dam sweet!

PS, have you done the repair yet?