SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Bike won't start after sitting (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/bike-wont-start-after-sitting-9724/)

Yardstick 10-11-2006 10:03 PM

Bike won't start after sitting

The title pretty much says it all... I let my bike sit for a few of our triple-digit months and now it won't start and stay running. It ran fine when I parked it. The battery is charged and it pops like it wants to run, but won't stay running for more than a couple of cycles. What's more likely... gummed up carbs or bad gas?

redlinetech 10-11-2006 10:22 PM

Your carbs could be varnished up. I am going to put Stabil in my tank before I put it away.

My plans are to add a shark skin lower, repaint a matte black, and install high mounts. Then she will be ready to cruz all summer.

Sean

shayne 10-12-2006 12:47 AM

I would drain the float bowls and see how you go for a start. It is funny how many times this will help such things. Some carby cleaner and a fresh tank of gas wouldn't hurt either.

E.Marquez 10-12-2006 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Yardstick (Post 33020)
What's more likely... gummed up carbs or bad gas?

Both, and add plugged pilot jet(s) to the list. Pump gas can go bad in just a few weeks, and can turn to sludge just as quick depending on the additive package.. Worse when you have high temps and it increase the evap rate.

Yardstick 10-13-2006 11:34 AM

Seems like it was just some bad fuel in the float bowls. I was going to take the carbs out but decided to try draining them first instead. A little more fresh fuel in the tank and the carbochicken roared back to life.

Scooberhawk 12-24-2006 05:27 PM

I've twice now had to put the battery on the charger for a few minutes because I couldn't get it to start after letting it sit for like 2 weeks. At this point, I'm thinking the 10% ethanol gas I'm using is separating, and won't start because all it gets initially is ethanol. Does anyone else notice the bike not starting as quick as it should when you let it sit for a week or two?

Also, I seem to have misplaced my factory service manual. I probably left it at the guy's house where I did my forks. Anyway, could someone briefly describe how to drain the float bowls, please? I don't like the idea of letting this fuel sit in there for more than a day or two now.

(On a related note, I will no longer buy motorcycle gas at Sheetz because their ethanol content is up at 15%.)

Otto Man 12-24-2006 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Scooberhawk (Post 37840)
I've twice now had to put the battery on the charger for a few minutes because I couldn't get it to start after letting it sit for like 2 weeks. At this point, I'm thinking the 10% ethanol gas I'm using is separating, and won't start because all it gets initially is ethanol. Does anyone else notice the bike not starting as quick as it should when you let it sit for a week or two?

Also, I seem to have misplaced my factory service manual. I probably left it at the guy's house where I did my forks. Anyway, could someone briefly describe how to drain the float bowls, please? I don't like the idea of letting this fuel sit in there for more than a day or two now.

(On a related note, I will no longer buy motorcycle gas at Sheetz because their ethanol content is up at 15%.)

I started up my hawk and it took a bit longer to start than usual. This is after having it sit for a few weeks. I've just run some fuel stablizer/antifreeze treatment in all of my vehicles (And that is a lot) and never had any problems. I don't see a need to drain the carbs.

On a side note, Sheetz gas is complete junk. Many of my friends cars' injectors get really loud just aftter running a few tanks of their gas through the engine. As an early present, I got a $25 gift card for Sheetz. And I can tell you right now that I will be buying there good food, not their gas with that card too!!!

jbaxx 12-25-2006 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken (Post 33035)
Both, and add plugged pilot jet(s) to the list. Pump gas can go bad in just a few weeks, and can turn to sludge just as quick depending on the additive package.. Worse when you have high temps and it increase the evap rate.

...and don't forget to clean your spark plugs as they are likely fuel-fouled from the repeated starting attempts. :)