SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   bike wont start (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/bike-wont-start-30033/)

supertrooper 03-24-2013 05:42 PM

bike wont start

the battery in my vtr was replaced 2 months ago and acted like it wasnt holding a charge. i thought it might be the R/R so i replaced it with a new finned stock replacment. when i took the original R/R off there was a burnt connector for on of the yellow wires. i cut the plug off and used spade connectors to pug the wires in. when i tryed to start the bike all i got was clicking coming from the left side of the subframe. i had the battery checked and it is good. any suggestions on what to check next?

7moore7 03-24-2013 05:46 PM

Check fuses including the main fuse (which is in a separate location). Both are in your tail section.

supertrooper 03-24-2013 08:19 PM

i checked the 30amp on the starter relay and 20amp and all the 10amp fuses in the main block and they are all good.

spladle160 03-24-2013 08:37 PM

Did you look at the fuses or check them with an ohm meter?

7moore7 03-25-2013 08:26 AM

Do you have a volt meter? What's your battery sitting at?

smokinjoe73 03-25-2013 09:56 AM

Yeah, you should check its sitting volts, did you charge it at any point? Did it get run down on the bad RR? You can fry a 2 month old battery that way.

supertrooper 03-25-2013 11:15 AM

the voltmeter shows 13volts. i left it on the tender/charger overnight and tryed to start it and the starter relay just clicks. i dont know how long the R/R has been bad. i can jump start it and it will run fine and if i park for a few hours itll fire right up. but if its parked over night it acts like a dead battery.

Wicky 03-25-2013 12:01 PM

Normally a fault that occurs in bikes ridden in UK, as salty road crud corrodes the starter motor connector bolt under the rubber hood, which take the brunt due to its position low down & up front. Check your connectors are clean, uncorroded and tight all the way down from the battery to the starter via the starter solenoid.

Test the starter motor by taking it off and linking it up to a 12 V source to see if it freely turns over . If necessary it's easy to fix/replace a corroded bolt or replace the whole starter with a second-hand motor from any +600cc Honda from the late 90s.

smokinjoe73 03-25-2013 12:22 PM

The bad rr is independant of starting in that it does its work when the bike is running. If it shows a standing 13v then yes it should happily turn over. I agree with wicky about checking the starter connections.

Sounds like the starter isnt getting power. What exactly did you jump it with, you can damage stuff if you give the system too much juice.

RCVTR 03-25-2013 01:31 PM

Pull the connector off at the starter relay, on the left side. It's a red connector. It can corrode, causing that problem.

Scareraven 03-25-2013 01:32 PM

I have had the same problem. I went so far as to get a litium ion battery (don't regret that one)
but it seems like the starter is not getting enough juice. I did 'jump' the bike with a booster box to get it running. When I did that, it turned over like a champ, warmed up, then rode fine. After a couple of hours it started again, but it.....barely.... turned.... over...... then it seemed to turn fine. Now I can not even get the bugger to turn over more than once. I don't want to crank on the starter if it is not working. Thanks for any help. I will check the connections tomorrow.

8541Hawk 03-25-2013 01:35 PM

Also check the grounds for crud. ;)