SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   bike struggles at high speed (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/bike-struggles-high-speed-29146/)

Bandit400man 09-07-2012 05:20 AM

bike struggles at high speed

Alright. During a ride back from the poke-a-hoe mountains in the rain, the bike started to choke going up a hill...hasn't really recovered since.
When I got it @ 4k miles ago, it ran great. Still does till I hit @ 90mph an then it chokes...runs rough until I downshift an slow down, almost to 40 or so an then I can increase speed to keep up with traffic...weird.
Don't know what its got jet an needle an pilot wise. But it does have the infamous k&n filter, an this awesome high mount devil exhaust.
So what you think the deal is?
Ran fine before.
@ 17000 on the clock.
K&n filter.
Exhaust.
Read the manual, it says check the fuel lines, then pull the carbs, then check valve clearances. That's a lot of work...
Any insight?

Tweety 09-07-2012 05:53 AM

One, the manual is right... So yeah it's work, but its kind of needed work...

Two, in the step of checking fuel, I'd check the petcock first, since the symptoms kind of match a broken one...

Bandit400man 09-07-2012 06:47 AM

Damn...the manual is usually right...
An thanks for the info on the petcock...how would one test it? Read the manual again? Lol

Bandit400man 09-07-2012 07:04 AM

FYI that wasn't meant as a dig, tweety....more a realization lol

Bandit400man 09-07-2012 08:32 AM

Anyone else? Or did tweety hit the nail on the head? Again lol

kardiac996 09-07-2012 08:42 AM

From memory I think if you take the line from the petcock and suck on the end, fuel should come out the other end with solid flow. If its faulty no or little flow will come from this method. Basically your checking the vacuum and testing the diaphragm of the petcock.

But a maintenance look over should be on your list. A solid carb clean could be needed maybe you got corrosion blocking proper fuel levels. I for one had a bunch of old foam in mine left over from the degraded side airbox foam. this caused loss of power and farts in the carbs.

Bandit400man 09-07-2012 09:00 AM

All good advice guys, thanks! Keep it coming!

Bandit400man 09-10-2012 06:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Alright, thanks to you guys I found the culprit. A torn petcock diaphragm:

Attachment 24250

Also, maybe not a big deal, maybe it is (could I duct tape it?)...but this hose/tube was torn a little BEFORE I removed it. It also didn't look to actually carry fuel in it..maybe a breather of some sort?

Attachment 24251

Now my biggest problem is finding that rebuild kit P/N 16953-ML0-034 that somebody actually sells and has in stock...cause I need it by Friday or I'll be stuck in a cage over the weekend :(

saige 09-10-2012 06:17 PM

go to Ronayers.com Ron Ayers Motorsports
they should have it.might not get it this week,unless someone has one extra.

Bandit400man 09-10-2012 07:17 PM

Thanks Saige, but what is it with this Ron Ayers website everyone always recommends?
For the record I found it available on:
cheap cycle parts- 35.00
power sports plus- 30.94
cycle parts nation- 31.85
2 wheel pros- 34.59
gearhead.com- 39.60
dillion brothers motosports- 31.85
hamburg honda- 41.36
marysville honda- 47.56
barnhardts honda- 45.50
cernics honda- 41.36
And then I got tired of searching LOL....Gonna do the phone calls tomorrow on the DL at work cause most of em' were closed already. As you can see I hate spending money, and jump hoops to save it for fun ;)

And its weird too, that most 'local' dealerships (marysville honda, barnhardts, hamburg) were the most expensive. What gives with that?

Oh an that hose...worth it to replace? Or could I get away with repairing it somehow? Like I said I don't think it had any actual fuel in it...though it prolly takes a lot of heat....hmmm...

saige 09-10-2012 08:06 PM

well,because 9 out of 10 times,they have it available on hand,most other sites order from someplace else than send it to you.even tho the web sites show it available,its most times not.
we had this problem before,and ronayers was the only one in the country it seemed like that had them on hand,but do call around.

that hose,just cut the tip off and you should be good.

8541Hawk 09-10-2012 08:06 PM

Just trim the hose down and put it back on. It's the overfill drain hose

Bandit400man 09-11-2012 04:28 AM

Kewl. Good to know about that hose.
And I hear ya, I tried to order it from my local dealer and they said they could find it, but not actually get it..whatever that means aka your screwed LOL.
I'll put Ron Ayers on my list too, thanks saige!