SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Bike keeps stalling (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/bike-keeps-stalling-28957/)

bjaykay 08-09-2012 08:54 PM

Bike keeps stalling

So when I first got my 98hawk it wouldn't go passed about 6000rpms and would stall out if I when I would pull on the clutch to put it in neutral at high rmps. Long story short I tried replacing the spark plugs that didn't work but then I found a mouse nest in the air filter (I bought it from a guy who had it sitting in a garage for a year). So I replaced the air filter and cleaned out the carbs and that allowed me to get the rpms up to redline but if the rpms are that high the bike still stalls if I allow the rpms to drop all the way down when putting it in nutral. I dont think it's a huge problem b/c if I give it a little throttle when pulling in the clutch and don't let the rpms drop all the way then the bike will be fine. I'm really just out of ideas on how to fix it and any help would be greatly appriciated

Wicky 08-09-2012 11:50 PM

Raise the idle?

BeerHunter 08-10-2012 06:51 AM

Adjusting the pilot mixture screws for highest / smoothest idle should clear that up. Carb synch would also be a good idea afterward. This is assuming that the pilot jets and related passages were cleaned properly when you had the carbs off.

8541Hawk 08-10-2012 11:20 AM

It's a VTR1000, they do that.

It is something that goes away as the miles build up but even then, pull in the clutch at high RPM and there is a good chance it will stall.

It is something they all do and the fix is to not pull the clutch in and chop throttle at high RPM.

You need to ride it like a twin, not an I4 (no offense meant) which is roll off the throttle and use the engine braking. Then pull in the clutch, if neede, at lower RPMs.

Though the short answer is, They just do that and it really can't be "fixed" except by changing your riding style.

PUSHrod 08-10-2012 11:26 AM

Low speed circuit obstructed. Classic.

Clean then return all settings to factory specs and balance the carbs. Instant sweetheart of a motor. Fast, easy, cheap to do.

bjaykay 08-17-2012 09:29 AM

8541 I am used to I4s and I do get that normally there is no reason to pull the clutch in at high rpms I just didnt think it was right that it would do that. However I did check the manual and saw that it was supposed to idle around 1100-1300 rpms and mine was down at around 800 so I raised that up and it seemed to fix the problem thanks for the halp everyone

Jack Flash 08-18-2012 08:22 AM

No reason for the bike to stall even if you drop the throttle at high
RPM's and press clutch at the same time. Sync the carbs, as previously mentioned and adjust idle screw according to your engine/bike's VIN.
Some bikes it's 1100 rmp's and some 1200. :lol: