SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   bike is having major electrical issues!? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/bike-having-major-electrical-issues-31854/)

Myhairym0nk3y 04-09-2014 08:24 AM

bike is having major electrical issues!?

So i just upgraded the front turn signals to flush mount led and also side mirror with built in led turn signals. Since then I'm blowing the turn signals fuse non stop and now losing my tachometer on and off. Not to mention after riding for over 30 min I turn the bike of and it has a dead start? If I jump it with another bike it will fire right up. Anyone know the issue and if you do a link to a Web site with detailed iinstructions on how to test the faulty areas before I go replacing the voltage regulator and the stator?

7moore7 04-09-2014 08:37 AM

It's likely one of two things:

1) Faulty R/R (voltage regulator). It fails often on these bikes as they get older and had inferior technology to begin with. You can read Tweety's Mosfet R/R thread to learn how to upgrade this part. It is not likely the stator, so don't go down that road (yet).

2) Bad wiring of the turn signals. Did the issues happen immediately after this install? If so, I'd check your connections carefully on the signals and the wires leading to them. A shorted circuit could blow fuses or maybe even draw from the battery.

I have a feeling it's number 1. When the bike is running, check the voltage across the battery terminals (at idle and at higher rpm's). If it's too high or too low, then you know what the issue is. Too high of voltage will blow fuses and too low of voltage obviously doesn't charge the battery correctly. A faulty R/R can cause both.

Myhairym0nk3y 04-09-2014 08:45 AM

The turn signals worked fine for about 2 weeks after install. Now all these issues are going on at once. At idea the bike sometimes hits hard like it lost all voltage for a split second and sometimes will still run other times will die

Wicky 04-09-2014 08:58 AM

http://f.cl.ly/items/0R2w0m1c3r0l1W0...-R-R-small.jpg

7moore7 04-09-2014 10:28 AM

^ Yep, sounds like your R/R. Replace it pronto, before you get stranded or do damage by overcharging. Replace it with a MOSFET unit if at all possible, and it won't happen again.

scottiemann 04-09-2014 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Wicky (Post 371063)

Lol... SH1T

Wolverine 04-09-2014 12:03 PM

My vote is R/R as well

8541Hawk 04-09-2014 01:01 PM

Do you have a multi-meter? If so it is easy to test the components before you replace anything.

While it is more than likely the R\R, I hate just throwing parts at a problem.

If you have a meter, what is the voltage of the battery with the engine off?
Then get the reading for idling and at around 3K RPM.

Then to check the stator take a resistance reading on the 3 legs.
Don't worry too much about the Ohm reading except to make sure all 3 read the same (or very close)

captainchaos 04-09-2014 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by scottiemann (Post 371067)
Lol... SH1T

HAHAHA that's priceless!

NHSH 04-09-2014 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 371072)
HAHAHA that's priceless!

That was my reaction when I pulled it off my bike and noticed that Sh1t :)

NHSH 04-09-2014 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 371069)
Do you have a multi-meter? If so it is easy to test the components before you replace anything.

While it is more than likely the R\R, I hate just throwing parts at a problem.

If you have a meter, what is the voltage of the battery with the engine off?
Then get the reading for idling and at around 3K RPM.

Then to check the stator take a resistance reading on the 3 legs.
Don't worry too much about the Ohm reading except to make sure all 3 read the same (or very close)

+1 Do it right and save yourself agreevation

Myhairym0nk3y 04-09-2014 05:18 PM

What is this mosfet and do any of you have a link on where to buy it and is this solution just as easy as plug and play? Or I'd there modifying that needs to be done

jerryh 04-09-2014 06:11 PM

Search hairy. Great info here

CruxGNZ 04-09-2014 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 371073)
That was my reaction when I pulled it off my bike and noticed that Sh1t :)

Wait, hold on... that was the actual stock R/R taken off your bike? I seriously thought someone photoshopped that SH1T on there!

7moore7 04-09-2014 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Myhairym0nk3y (Post 371077)
What is this mosfet and is this solution just as easy as plug and play?

Depends on where you plug it.

Wolverine 04-10-2014 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 371084)
Wait, hold on... that was the actual stock R/R taken off your bike? I seriously thought someone photoshopped that SH1T on there!

:D Got me the first time too, mine didn't say that.

comedo 04-10-2014 06:53 AM

Dear Hairy,
Check MOSFET Regulator/Rectifiers - The Why & The How in the Knowledge Base. All the answers are there and do as 8541Hawk and NHSH suggest. Welcome aboard.

Myhairym0nk3y 04-10-2014 07:40 PM

Thanks guys I got some reading to do

Myhairym0nk3y 04-13-2014 08:00 AM

So i found the issue you where all.right it was the R/R I was out riding yesterday and my friend screams your ass end is smoking like crazy! Sure enough the R/R went up and took the wires and the harness with it...

CruxGNZ 04-13-2014 10:50 PM

It's not the first time we heard that here. Since you're posting this, I assume your ass did not light a fire?

Replace some wires, get a couple new connnectors (unless you hardwire it), a MOSFET R/R and you'll be ready to rock the Superhawk again. Unless the R/R took out other stuff with it (guages), which I really hope didn't happen.

NHSH 04-15-2014 08:35 AM

Didn't we tell you? SH1T it is ;-), you could have saved yourself money and aggregation, but what's done is done, if the harness is beyond repair, just get a new one, I hope you didn't damage other components, these R/R's have a tendency to kill more than just the harness when they go this way, so check for the rest.

scottiemann 04-15-2014 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 371359)
Didn't we tell you? SH1T it is ;-), you could have saved yourself money and aggregation, but what's done is done, if the harness is beyond repair, just get a new one, I hope you didn't damage other components, these R/R's have a tendency to kill more than just the harness when they go this way, so check for the rest.

+1 to that

Mine killed my tach and after attempts to fix my tach(blown resistor) to no avail, further investigation has pointed to it killing the ICU...

7moore7 04-15-2014 09:27 AM

Well now at least you don't have to test voltage to see if it's your r/r. And you got to leave an awesome contrail as a final farewell to the unit.