SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Best tires for a hawk (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/best-tires-hawk-25855/)

Kendrick 06-10-2011 09:13 PM

Best tires for a hawk

Okay, I know we've done this before, but a lot of tires have probably come out since then. I have a cronically leaking front tire, and they're five years old anyway. So, I'm dropping off the hawk for new tires in the morning. I generally avoid rain and commute, but I don't want to be scared if it starts raining. I'm replacing Conti Road Attacks. Any suggestions?

1971allchaos 06-10-2011 09:23 PM

If all your gonna do is ride those "flat" roads-in the heartland... A set of Metzeler Z6, or Michelin 2CTs would probably be just fine, and good milage wear...

Kendrick 06-10-2011 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos (Post 305809)
If all your gonna do is ride those "flat" roads-in the heartland... A set of Metzeler Z6, or Michelin 2CTs would probably be just fine, and good milage wear...

Yeah, unfortunately that's kind of where I'm stuck right now. I'll look into those. Thanks chaos.

superh1998 06-10-2011 09:37 PM

I have the 2CT's, and I have been very happy with them. The price is very appealing, as well.

Kendrick 06-10-2011 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by superh1998 (Post 305811)
I have the 2CT's, and I have been very happy with them. The price is very appealing, as well.

And a fellow flatlander. I'll have to check prices...

Edit: Looks like $250 for the pair, I'll call my shop in the morning and have them order them.

1971allchaos 06-11-2011 09:33 AM

Kendrick,
We all have straight roads in the ride, remember the enjoyment of the two wheels...

Two wheels > than four wheels....

8541Hawk 06-11-2011 09:41 AM

I like the round black ones, with a hole in the middle..... ;)

Kendrick 06-11-2011 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 305838)
I like the round black ones, with a hole in the middle..... ;)

And now that I've gotten a couple suggestions we should delete this thread before it spirals out of control...

Or shall we discuss oil now?

8541Hawk 06-11-2011 09:56 AM

Bring it on....... :rotf::rotf::rotf:

lucas_chanel 06-11-2011 10:52 AM

What about the new road attack 2, i just bought some for that reason but there is alot of places i ride where we have some nice twisties. BUt my ride back home from Ft. POlk is mainly straight highway!

8541Hawk 06-11-2011 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by lucas_chanel (Post 305842)
What about the new road attack 2, i just bought some for that reason but there is alot of places i ride where we have some nice twisties. BUt my ride back home from Ft. POlk is mainly straight highway!

You should have no problems with them. Any "Sport-Touring" tire will have plenty of grip for 90% of the street riders in the real world.

Though a quick search would have pointed out this thread was going a week ago..... posts #13 & #14 cover picking which tire to run to make it real easy on you..... ;)

Onomea 06-11-2011 12:27 PM

Anyone have experience with the Dunlop Roadsmarts? Got a set awhile ago, never got to put them on yet(my present set still good yet, but getting there). Don't do too much
Squid riding anymore, just mostly sport-touring. The Roadsmarts had just come out when I bought them.

malahhaor 06-11-2011 02:30 PM

I'm running on Dunlop D616. I'm not the best rider when taking corners, not allot of riding time, but these seem to be very good. They are designed for wet conditions almost a copy of profecional rain tires but all reviews were saying that they are great in dry as well. My friend that restored 82 Katana with a bored out engine has them as well.

b1m3x8 06-11-2011 05:21 PM

I'm running Dunlop Sportmax Q2 and loving them.

RIPI 06-12-2011 05:39 PM

Loving a second fresh set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa tires. Much more neutral turn-in than the Q2's, which tend to drop in quick and the 2CT's, which are slightly slower on turn-in. They are all great tires with slightly different charachteristics. Had a blast on a spirited ride in the rain yesterday with no issues. Crossed- up wheelies in heavy rain!

speedkelly@aol.com 06-12-2011 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Onomea (Post 305847)
Anyone have experience with the Dunlop Roadsmarts? Got a set awhile ago, never got to put them on yet(my present set still good yet, but getting there). Don't do too much
Squid riding anymore, just mostly sport-touring. The Roadsmarts had just come out when I bought them.

I currently have Dunlop Roadsmarts on my 05 hawk at the moment. Not really my kind of tire (came with the bike when I brought it) I just looked thru the service history and they have over 8,000 miles on them! Front is more worn than back. Still road legal, but showing a few wear bars in place's. Great tire, really surpised with the grip they have for a sport/touring tire. Great tire for the Superhawk I think.

Onomea 06-13-2011 01:56 AM

Thanks, speedkelly for the feedback. Thats twice the normal life I get on my current Dunlops. Do a lot of straight line riding with the club I am in, with mixed in twistys. We ride once a month around the island(about 300 miles). I get a lot of center wear:(, so these tires might work out right for me. Front tire wear is unusual @ having more wear than the back. I guess the dual compound works. Grip on a sport touring tire is what I was looking for.

autoteach 06-13-2011 05:53 AM

I have and love the Roadsmart. 75mph on a tire with 5000miles in a down pour, no hydroplaning.

stormingjoe 06-13-2011 09:59 AM

My tuppence...............
Avon Storm Ultra excellent wet or dry still running these at 4,000 miles at mo, excellent feel or Bridgestones BT023 for touring 8,000 on rear 11,000 on front can feel harder when worn and follows ridges etc/ 016 for corners 6,000 rear got a little squared off and 9,000 on the front wore out mid edge

Kendrick 06-24-2011 04:46 PM

Yay, Michelin 2CTs! Just got it back today. I feel much better. I negotiated rush hour traffic like a pro. Still not scrubbed in, but still much better. My mechanic totally agreed with my choice, and for what it's worth I deal with a more classic Japanese bike (cafe racer) shop, but they all always rant about my hawk. They love the noise and the high pipes and the power delivery. It's nice to be recognized and appreciated ...

In other news, I'm back on the bike and feeling good again. I'll be back to my usual obnoxious on the boards soon. :)...Now where'd that drunk thread go?

Onomea 07-14-2011 02:05 PM

I have heard that it is not recommended to mix tread types on a bike. I was wondering if anyone had experiences with running a Dunlop Qualifier on the front and a Dunlop Roadsmart on the rear? Or any other combination. All factory recommended sizes. Different treads same manufacturer. I used to run meislers on the front and dunlops on the back of my Yamaha Seca II 600. Rode O.K.

8541Hawk 07-14-2011 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Onomea (Post 308984)
I have heard that it is not recommended to mix tread types on a bike. I was wondering if anyone had experiences with running a Dunlop Qualifier on the front and a Dunlop Roadsmart on the rear? Or any other combination. All factory recommended sizes. Different treads same manufacturer. I used to run meislers on the front and dunlops on the back of my Yamaha Seca II 600. Rode O.K.

IMHO as long as you have the softer tire in the front, you really should have no problems with most street riding.

Track days, well that's a different story just as really pushing it on the street but other than that you'll be fine. ;)

triplespeed 07-14-2011 04:02 PM

I have about 2,500 miles on the Bridgestone Battlax BT-023 Sport Touring tires and am pleased with their performance. No signs of wear [yet] and plenty of grip with a comfortable ride. These are dual-compound tires, like many others available on the market today.

I made a conscientious decision to buy Sport Touring tires -- as opposed to true sport tires -- because I wanted a more comfortable ride, good wet grip, and long tread life. However, I suspect that I may be giving up something in terms of handling performance -- but I may be wrong.

I have used Michelin tires on my other bikes in the past, so I may try the Pilot Power 2CTs at my next tire change. Probably won't be for [at least] another 5K miles.

RIPI 07-14-2011 07:54 PM

tires

Originally Posted by triplespeed (Post 309010)
I have about 2,500 miles on the Bridgestone Battlax BT-023 Sport Touring tires and am pleased with their performance. No signs of wear [yet] and plenty of grip with a comfortable ride. These are dual-compound tires, like many others available on the market today.

I made a conscientious decision to buy Sport Touring tires -- as opposed to true sport tires -- because I wanted a more comfortable ride, good wet grip, and long tread life. However, I suspect that I may be giving up something in terms of handling performance -- but I may be wrong.

I have used Michelin tires on my other bikes in the past, so I may try the Pilot Power 2CTs at my next tire change. Probably won't be for [at least] another 5K miles.

RIPI 07-14-2011 07:57 PM

tires

Originally Posted by triplespeed (Post 309010)
let us know how that works out....Can't imagine giving up sport tire grip for a few more miles. Maybe better wet grip would be dun but.....

Let

scottiemann 07-14-2011 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Onomea (Post 305847)

Im running the dunlop D220 in the rear and the dunlop roadsmart in the front which is basically the same thing.. I think the roadsmart was to replace the d220..

I love them the wear pattern is awesome I do a lot of highway and as much leaning as I can on my bumpy MA roads

I lean far off the bike and wear the tire about a 1/4 inch from the strip and they hold on tight

rtinti 07-14-2011 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by RIPI (Post 305926)
Loving a second fresh set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa tires. Much more neutral turn-in than the Q2's, which tend to drop in quick and the 2CT's, which are slightly slower on turn-in. They are all great tires with slightly different charachteristics. Had a blast on a spirited ride in the rain yesterday with no issues. Crossed- up wheelies in heavy rain!

I went from Metzlers to Diablo Corsa IIIs and loved them so much I re-up'd to the Rosa Corsa rear when a nail forced the issue. i like them so much better than the Metzlers, but i tend to ride twisties a lot more than straight slabs. Better turn in, grip, and better wear so far, but it was big jump up in technology with the multi-compound tread (hard in the middle and softer to the outside).

Onomea 07-19-2011 09:55 PM

Thanks for the info 8541Hawk and scottimann. Won a bid on a stock wheel/tire on
flea-bay. S/B coming with a fairly new(about 40miles) Dunlop Qualifier on it. Bought it as a back-up wheel/tire for my RoadSmarts when mounted. Back-up, if a mishap should occur,:(. Parts for the Hawk at a premium(if available at all Used), in Hilo. No track riding, riding the Saddle Road mostly. There are some vids on the road on-line.:)