SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   bent fork or something else? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/bent-fork-something-else-26244/)

simone 07-28-2011 12:02 AM

bent fork or something else?

i let a friend that rides sv650 to try my vtr and he get so scared and tells me "god help you with this bike". he said that i have bent fork. i really didn't pay attention to much on some little things that get him scared.

i have not to good front tire (that i plan to replace) so i was thinking that that makes little wobble when i start. but as soon as i get moving that disappear. i have ridden as fast as 150kmh trough city mostly and didn't feel anything except on hard accelerating a little pull to the right but not all the time so assumed that's because i pull right hand little bit harder when turning throttle.

my question is: what the bent fork does to bike??
how can i determine that issue cause visually everything seems alright to me
don't have oil leak from forks and they look straight.

8541Hawk 07-28-2011 10:04 AM

Check the front wheel bearings.....

msethhunter 07-28-2011 11:57 AM

Get the bike up to speed on a flat road (say 40mph) shift to nuetral and take your hands off the bars. If it goes striaght, nothing is bent. If it pulls to one side, something is bent. And wait till you get a new tires to try this, your tire could be worn a tad bit funny.

Old Yeller 07-28-2011 11:58 AM

check that the steering head is tightened properly too.

jay956 07-28-2011 01:22 PM

your not giving us any information. need to know symptoms before we can find the problem.

simone 07-28-2011 02:59 PM

ok here is the thing.
when starting to move it kinda makes little lean to left but not all the times and only on very low speed less than 5mph. i figured that's because of the tire cause some times when leaning to turn left also at slow speed i feel that little wobble.
what's more bothering me is that little pull to the right when hard accelerating. its like this im riding 50mph in the middle of the lane and i pull throttle hard and as soon as i reach 100mph imm closer to the right white line than to the middle of the lane but not all times.
now that i think when i was changing chain and sprockets maybe i didn't centered rear wheel 100% because right adjuster was a little loose around the shaft. could that be the reason ?

smokinjoe73 07-28-2011 07:10 PM

These bikes are very sensitive to front tire wear but grab the tire and the fork and see if there is any side to side freeplay which would be bearings. What you describe would not be a bent fork, but a tire or bearing could do what you describe.

VTRsurfer 07-28-2011 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 310038)
These bikes are very sensitive to front tire wear but grab the tire and the fork and see if there is any side to side freeplay which would be bearings. What you describe would not be a bent fork, but a tire or bearing could do what you describe.

+1

But what are you doing riding 150 kph in the city?:shock:

simone 07-28-2011 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 310044)
+1

But what are you doing riding 150 kph in the city?:shock:

don't worry! ;)
its a 3 lane boulevard from one traffic light to another and only early in the morning or late at night when the traffic is low. i'm not that kind of rider to endanger my self for no reason.

and here is some eye candy for everybody :leghump:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_vpzPBewsqW...torcycle10.jpg

klx678 07-29-2011 05:58 PM

A well worn front tire with the cupping will cause head shake and can cause a huge wobble if ridden hands off. My bike had that with the front tire I had. Good deep tread, but cupped beyond what I like. I could actually feel the tire trying to shake the head when cornering. Not enough to cause issues, but still a distraction. Now with new tires it's gone... until it cups again.

I don't know if you can do it, but if you sit the bike up, loosen one fork stanchion clamp set (triple clamps) at a time and try to rotate the fork in the clamps you may find if the tube is bent. If not bent, it should rotate without problem. If it will only start to turn then binds you may have a bent tube. The other way is to pull the fork leg off and actually put a straight edge on the stanchion tube in various places around the circumference to see if it is bent.

If it's all about shake and stuff, my money is on the tire. Replace it and see if it's cured.

Of course, do check the wheel bearings and head set bearings too. It'd be foolish on my part to dismiss those comments. I'm just mentioning the tire and fork thing.

simone 07-29-2011 10:46 PM

that's exactly what i have experienced with hands off around 65mph and when i slow down it goes normally

i'm gonna replace tire these day's and we'll see

scottiemann 07-30-2011 06:33 AM

too much chrome for me but I love that generation gixxer..... oh and she has a nice ass

(my girl gets a little wierded out when I notice motorcycle/car mags behind playboys and maxims and cant tell her what girl was on the cover of either :p

JamieDaugherty 07-31-2011 01:40 PM

I love it when "my buddy told me there is something wrong with my bike" happens. Normally they are wrong, that's the funny part.

A bent fork normally results in a bike that steers different one direction versus the other. It might turn easily one way but real heavy the other. That's also typical for forks that are twisted in the clamps. Not really sure that either are your problem. It sounds like you agree there is something not quite right up front, so it wouldn't hurt to check everything really well just to be sure.

8541Hawk 07-31-2011 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty (Post 310261)
I love it when "my buddy told me there is something wrong with my bike" happens. Normally they are wrong, that's the funny part.

A bent fork normally results in a bike that steers different one direction versus the other. It might turn easily one way but real heavy the other. That's also typical for forks that are twisted in the clamps. Not really sure that either are your problem. It sounds like you agree there is something not quite right up front, so it wouldn't hurt to check everything really well just to be sure.

All very true. I kind of stopped commenting here after he said his front tire is shagged.

Once the tire is changed, then you can start trouble shooting. Until then its all a waste of time. ;)

simone 08-11-2011 03:37 PM

ok i think i have found the problem. yesterday when i was taking off my front wheel i had little trouble to take off right caliper. when i pulled ti harder it came off but when i tried to put it back on i couldn't cause caliper bracket was little too close to disc. that seemed to me like twisted fork.

what should i do?

simone 08-12-2011 04:11 AM

correction my rim is fubar. left side is totally twisted and now it all makes sense.

here's video
vtr bent rim - YouTube

can i put some other bikes rim in case i don't find original one?