SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Beatin' a very Dead Horse (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/beatin-very-dead-horse-33523/)

CaryDG 09-17-2015 10:40 PM

Beatin' a very Dead Horse

After endless (actually it did end) searching, and reading of this forum, and my own troubled experience, I've a question about the poor results using a K&N filter on SHs. I was sitting my shop looking at the pricey, useless K&N in the corner. Didn't have the heart to toss it or sell it. I was comparing it the stocker and remembered reading that part of the problem was the turbulence it created in the air box. That coupled with the sensitive carbs led to a lot of trial and error, mostly error!. Has anyone tried installing a diffuser similar to the one that's part of the OEM filter? I fabricated one, re-installed the OEM diverter and the new diffuser in the air box lid. So far it runs pretty good. But, as you all know SHs are sensitive to jetting/flow changes. After tuning 8541 Hawks excellent carb set-up (tomorrow), I might be on to something. Seat of the pants, feels right. I'll let you know
Any thoughts? Or, has this been tried a million times?

Wolverine 09-18-2015 06:04 AM

In your searches check out users signatures. Quite a few of us use the k&n, it is not useless. Really don't have the will or desire to fight the fight so to speak.

Sorry, can't help with your specific question. I can give you my opinion... the Hawk carb set up will probably not be ideal with this filter. ;)

CaryDG 09-18-2015 09:24 PM

I meant poor results by other members. I had Okay luck with the K&N DJ setup. It took a while, and a lot of calls to DJ, but, seat of the pants testing seemed alright. No noticeable flat or soft spots. Mileage sucked and it seemed that the DJ setup is hard on slides as they seem to wear fast so I tried the Hawk set up with good results as well. Better mileage and mid range. My hobby is fiddlin' with my bikes so I'll try anything once. Some things several times because I'm old and forgetful! I try to keep an open mind.
Some people only want to see dyno results. But, I don't ride a dyno, I ride by the seat of my pants. I have several slide sets, 1, 2, and 3 lift holes. lots of Keihin, Factory Pro, and DJ mains, needles and pilots. I've got carb removal, re-jet, re-slide, re-install down to 30 min. With Jumpin Jacks Thumbscrew mixture screws, I'm road testing in an hour. I'm getting ready to weld bungs in my headers so I can monitor my AFR. Thanks for the input. I'm just to old to fight!

Cadbury64 09-19-2015 01:20 AM

I've had K&N filters in my last three bikes, and never had any bother. Certainly made a very positive difference on my RF900. I ordered and installed one for my VTR before I read that folk didn't rate them for this model. Guess what, mine runs great, haven't touched the carbs and must assume (based on the rest of the bike) that she is all stock in there. YMMV indeed.

CaryDG 09-19-2015 08:58 AM

Un-restricted?

How did you un-restrict the Top Speed? Or is that just something specific to the Japanese models? My Canadian model doesn't seem restricted at all (151.6 MPH [243.98 KPH] at the SCTA speed traps):eek:

NZSpokes 09-19-2015 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cadbury64 (Post 390611)
I've had K&N filters in my last three bikes, and never had any bother. Certainly made a very positive difference on my RF900. I ordered and installed one for my VTR before I read that folk didn't rate them for this model. Guess what, mine runs great, haven't touched the carbs and must assume (based on the rest of the bike) that she is all stock in there. YMMV indeed.

You young fellas dont think this through. Im running both. :cool:

No really I am.

Cadbury64 09-20-2015 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by CaryDG (Post 390629)
How did you un-restrict the Top Speed? Or is that just something specific to the Japanese models? My Canadian model doesn't seem restricted at all (151.6 MPH [243.98 KPH] at the SCTA speed traps):eek:

My bike was made for the Japanese market and they have some funny regulations regarding speed, so there is a limiter built into the speedo that stops the bike going over 180km/hr. It was very like running into a rev limiter. With the wonders of the internet and the unscrewing of a single wire on the back of the speedo, I was able to remove the restriction.

If we are being pedantic, of course the maximum speed of the bike is limited, by the friction vs power relationship and the bravery of the rider.

CaryDG 09-20-2015 10:36 AM

Amazing!

I understand the friction component. Just removing the mirrors gained 1.6 MPH in trap speed!:o