SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Battery or something else? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/battery-something-else-34543/)

The End 05-27-2017 02:55 AM

Battery or something else?

Since I bought my VTR 1000 a year or so ago, every now and then I've had issues when starting the bike.

Occasionally during starting, the bike would hesitate while holding down the starter button, before finally firing up to life. It would only hesitate for a split second, but during this time it would reset my clock and trip meter.

I've never been able to attribute this to not using the bike frequently enough (eg: battery slowly draining) as it has sometimes occurred even when using the bike every day.

Recently, I went to start the bike after not using it for 8 days, on a "cold" day here at roughly 5*c and had a slightly different problem - The headlight came on and dash lit up, however the starter motor failed to do anything. I had to use a car to jump start the bike.

So... is this pointing towards a dodgy battery that needs replacing, or should I be looking elsewhere?

From looking on the bike frame, I believe I have an upgraded regulator/rectifier as it has fins/a heatsink on it. My understanding is the stock ones do not.

Wicky 05-27-2017 03:50 AM

Check the battery terminals are clean and tight and earths and all connections in the charging system inc relay etc. are also clean and tight - plus check with a multimeter what battery voltages are. If in doubt get a new one and make sure if you store the bike to keep it charged up every fortnight or so as nothing will kill a battery better than regularly letting it completely deplete.

Also check under the rubber hood on the starter motor for corrosion on the nut and bolt as corrosion will impede flow of electrickery...

As for R/R even though its finned could mean its a later upgraded finned one or it could be a cheap Chinese copy. Better to fit a known quality Mosfet FH type R/R though it will require some work on the wiring to fit compatible connectors.

smokinjoe73 05-27-2017 09:39 AM

Funny I have had this same issue since my no start when hot issue. I believe it could be the constant power lead to the dash in the plug.

Clearly something is interrupting power momentarily. Wicky is right about all the connections to check but add in the dash plugs behind the dash.

The End 05-27-2017 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 402409)
Funny I have had this same issue since my no start when hot issue. I believe it could be the constant power lead to the dash in the plug.

Clearly something is interrupting power momentarily. Wicky is right about all the connections to check but add in the dash plugs behind the dash.

I don't think the problem would be related to the dash, as the main issue is the bike not starting.

When I tried starting it on a cold day, it was the starter motor that failed to do anything, which I am assuming is due to the battery being bad.

smokinjoe73 05-28-2017 02:43 AM

Check also then the starter solenoid, starter button, clutch switch and sidestand switch since any one of them will stop a start.

Check battery voltage at rest and while running. See if the battery still has liquid in it. Many can be revived with distilled water.

xeris 05-28-2017 10:25 AM

Thinking the significant symptoms were the temporary loss of all battery voltage (reset of the trip odometer). The other was the jump start, started right up. I would have the battery load tested before anything else.

Cadbury64 05-28-2017 01:09 PM

I had much the same symptoms on my VFR800, hard to restart hot, clock resetting, and since I replaced the battery it has been faultless.

AlanS 05-30-2017 04:37 PM

What the last two guys said. Validate the battery. If in doubt, replace it and proceed from there. While you're at it, clean up the battery cable clamps (with a wire-brush thingy) to ensure there's no undue resistance between them and the source of power (which would reduce the power). If your problems persist, the chances it's the battery become small. I have gotten a 'bad' battery 'new', from the retailer. But only once in many years of vehicles and batteries.

Alan