SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Battery question - Yuasa YTZ12S or YTZ14S (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/battery-question-yuasa-ytz12s-ytz14s-7825/)

CNI Dawg 12-02-2005 12:29 PM

Battery question - Yuasa YTZ12S or YTZ14S

I'm relacing my VTR battery.
Do you see any reason why I can't use the stronger Yuasa YTZ14S instead of the stock YTZ12S?
They are both the same physical size, both have the same pole location (+/-).
The only difference I can see is the 14S is 8 ounces heavier than the 12S , has 20 more Cold Cranking Amps, and has 11.2 Amp.Hrs. (instead of 11.0 for the 12S). Which seems like a better idea..... especially in the winter.
Please give me your opinions.....
TIA
Bill
__________________________________________________ __
Battery Family: YTZ Factory Activated, Maintenance Free
Battery Type: YTZ12S
Voltage: 12
Capacity (Amp. Hrs.): 11
Dimensions: 6" x 3 7/16" x 4 3/8"
Weight: 8.1 lbs.
Metric Dimensions: 150mm x 87mm x 110mm
Metric Weight: 3.7 kg
Polarity:
Acid Volume: N/A
Charging Current (Amps.): 1.1
C.C.A.: 210
__________________________________________________ _
Battery Family: YTZ Factory Activated, Maintenance Free
Battery Type: YTZ14S
Voltage: 12
Capacity (Amp. Hrs.): 11.2
Dimensions: 6" x 3 7/16" x 4 3/8"
Weight: 8.6 lbs.
Metric Dimensions: 150mm x 87mm x 110mm
Metric Weight: 3.9 kg
Polarity:
Acid Volume: N/A
Charging Current (Amps.): 1.1
C.C.A.: 230

troy_v 12-02-2005 03:06 PM

Re: Battery question - Yuasa YTZ12S or YTZ14S

Go with the 14. I bought one about 6 months ago for the exact reason you point out: 20 more CCAs.

I also recommend buying from motorcyclebatteriesusa.com

- Troy

troy_v 12-02-2005 03:09 PM

Go with the 14. I bought one to replace my battery about 6 months ago and have been very pleased. I got it for the exact reason you point out: 20 more CCAs.

I also recommend buying from motorcyclebatteriesusa.com great price and service!

- Troy

CNI Dawg 12-03-2005 11:26 PM

Got the YTZ14S locally and man what a difference.
She really spins that starter over fast now !
Easy install, everything fit perfectly.

Randman 12-15-2005 08:11 PM

Did you get a good deal locally Dawg? I was thinking about doing the same thing....

Man it was a great day to ride last Sunday...Then it all went to Sh_t this week....CCCCCold....

CNI Dawg 12-16-2005 10:18 PM

No good deal.
Got it from Bates in Carrolton for around $125 (ARGH!)

High 5 Cycle @ LBJ & 75 said they would give me 10% off retail but did not have one at that time (they have them now - talk to Chris)

Someone on DFWStangs.com forum said Batteries Plus had good deals on batteries....dunno myself didn't check
http://dfwstangs.net/ Then go to: DFWstangs Forums > General > Motorcycle Forum > Best place to buy a battery?

THe 14S weighs 8 ounces more than the 12S
Some guys might not want the extra weight.
The 12S is cheaper ($20-$25 cheaper)

Also check
Tucker Motorcycle Supply in Ft Worth. Talk to LaDonna. YTZ14S - $105
http://www.tucmoto.com/page/TMS/PROD...uasa-MF/YTZ14S
If you are a ST1300 club member they will sell it to you for $86 (join maybe??? looks free)
http://www.tucmoto.com/page/TMS/PROD/STOC/ST-YTZ14S

This is NOT to be confused with Tucker Rocky the big M/C parts distributor near Alliance airport

I couldn't wait for them to ship (had to come from warehouse they were out of stock)
because mine was dam neaar dead & I wanted to keep commuting to work thru that weekend...so I spent the extra $ to pick one up from Bates, get it installed, & keep riding! :D

Texassuperhawk 12-16-2005 11:17 PM

Wow this thread has great timing I was just wondering what type of battery to replace the dead stock one with today. The 14 sounds better for me, and I may be able to get it at cost, cool :D

jschmidt 12-17-2005 06:41 AM

No reason not to except weight. Keep in mind though, that you are buying cranking amps you don't need and a higher CCA rating doesn't correlate to longer battery life.

superbling 12-17-2005 03:34 PM

Thumbs up to these guys and much better prices than yuasa:

http://www.westcobattery.com

Here's more info if you're unfamiliar with them:

http://www.westcobattery.com/faqs.html

It's kinda' neat to pull one right out of the box and start your bike with it. I'd be using one right now since shortly after getting superbling last year the r/r took itself, the connector and the battery out but I all ready had a spare battery. It was a no-name closeout item for a hayabusa. It's physically smaller than the stock superhawk battery but it only cost me $12! :lol:

inderocker 12-17-2005 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by jschmidt";p=&quot (Post 13577)
No reason not to except weight. Keep in mind though, that you are buying cranking amps you don't need and a higher CCA rating doesn't correlate to longer battery life.

does more cca = better cold starting.... thats my main problem... i sometimes have to steal my girlfriends car because my bike won't start at 5am.

jschmidt 12-18-2005 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by inderocker";p=&quot (Post 13586)
does more cca = better cold starting.... thats my main problem... i sometimes have to steal my girlfriends car because my bike won't start at 5am.

Dude, I lived in Tucson. I can't understand why this would matter to you. Cold means actually cold, not 40 degrees. Your bike won't start because your battery won't hold a charge overnight.

Either of these batteries should serve you adequately in the desert. But make sure your charging system is working well too. If one charging circuit is bad, you'll only get up to about 10.5 volts. That's enough to start a bike most of the time, but not all of the time.

bronco78 12-19-2005 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by jschmidt";p=&quot (Post 13604)

Dude, I lived in Tucson. I can't understand why this would matter to you. Cold means actually cold, not 40 degrees. Your bike won't start because your battery won't hold a charge overnight.

Either of these batteries should serve you adequately in the desert. But make sure your charging system is working well too. If one charging circuit is bad, you'll only get up to about 10.5 volts. That's enough to start a bike most of the time, but not all of the time.

Dead on post...the charging system is a 3 phase AC system,, you can have one phase malfunction and still get enough juice to run things.

Check your voltage at the battery, at about 3k RPM. Check ALL connections from battery on back.. Tight, clean.

If all looks good, bets are it is a failing battery. A good shop can test it for you// though the shop charge will probable be 50% of a new battery. Or they will do it for free so long as you buy your new battery from them

dsbunton646 12-19-2005 08:32 AM

what year are your superhawks? my bike is a 2000 and it doesn't call for a ytz 12s,according to yuasa'a web site it is a ytx12bs? i found a ytz 14s at tires unlimited on closeout for a good price. will it fit?

dsbunton646 12-19-2005 08:34 AM

will a ytz 14s fit in a 2000 superhawk. i looked at the yuasa website and it calls for a ytx12bs? what 's the difference?

jschmidt 12-19-2005 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by dsbunton646";p=&quot (Post 13612)
will a ytz 14s fit in a 2000 superhawk. i looked at the yuasa website and it calls for a ytx12bs? what 's the difference?

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/yuasa05/pdfs/2005yuaapp.pdf

Pages 8 and 9

dsbunton646 12-19-2005 10:17 AM

THANKS FOR THE LINK JSCHMIDT. IT LOOKS LIKE THE ONLY DIFFERENCE, BESIDES CCA, IS THE TERMINAL TYPE. IT LOOKS PRETTY CLOSE TOO.

inderocker 12-20-2005 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by jschmidt";p=&quot (Post 13604)

your right, it's usually not too cold out here... but we have had a couple of nights in the past few weeks where it got below 30 degrees... the old battery i had would barely turn the motor over... but definetly not fast enough to start it... i then bought a new battery about 2 weeks ago and it does a little bit better... but it still has trouble on early mornings...

CNI Dawg 12-20-2005 08:24 PM

your right, it's usually not too cold out here... but we have had a couple of nights in the past few weeks where it got below 30 degrees... the old battery i had would barely turn the motor over... but definetly not fast enough to start it... i then bought a new battery about 2 weeks ago and it does a little bit better... but it still has trouble on early mornings...
What kind of oil are you running?
I switched to Silkolene 10/40 synthetic for the winter.
Starts easier now when cold...new battery + synthetic 10/40 oil maybe?

Are you pulling in the clutch lever when starting on those really cold mornings?
How many cycles on your starter?
All your connections clean? (all the grounds & positives?)

That's all I can think of right now....sorry... tired now, not thinking too well, & gotta do a quick back to work at 7AM (it's O/T tho !)

CYA later. Bill

jschmidt 12-21-2005 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by inderocker";p=&quot (Post 13633)

Make sure you check the charging system. That temp shouldn't be a problem. It is also possible that the conneciton is loose to the starter or the starter is bad.

Oh, and my prior post was made partly out of jealousy. I'd love to be back in Tucson but joint custody keeps me here for another five years.

blokeontheend 04-29-2010 11:26 AM

T minus 8 Months

Originally Posted by jschmidt (Post 75710)
Make sure you check the charging system. That temp shouldn't be a problem. It is also possible that the conneciton is loose to the starter or the starter is bad.

Oh, and my prior post was made partly out of jealousy. I'd love to be back in Tucson but joint custody keeps me here for another five years.

Jim, I was searching the battery thread (again) and I thought I'd give you the heads up that 5 yrs is approaching fast.