SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Bar Ends - Original HEAVY or new light Aluminium ones? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/bar-ends-original-heavy-new-light-aluminium-ones-9333/)

Tempest 08-17-2006 05:29 PM

Bar Ends - Original HEAVY or new light Aluminium ones?

Just fitted the original Clipons back onto my Firestorm/Superhawk, but I onloy have one original Bar End.

It's one of the proper HEAVY black Honda ones.

Now, on a different forum (talking about a different bike) there was a lot of talk about the benefits of heavy bar ends, making things stable etc etc....

I'm not sure if I should spend some time hunting down another original heavy honda one (which may take some time, as people don't seem to have spare bar ends just lying around)

Or just go onto Ebay and buy some new Honda fit Aluminium ones, which will probably not even weigh 1/4 of the originals.

So, wondering if there is any good reason to stick with the originals.

I mean, I guess they must make them HEAVY for a good reason?

SillyHawk 08-17-2006 05:58 PM

the stock ones arent heavy at all compared to the after market pair i just bought from http://www.hvmp.com/honda.htm

marmaladedad 08-17-2006 05:58 PM

I have one "heavy" (OEM) and one non-heavy bar end on my clip-ons. I have not noticed any adverse affects thus far (~5k miles).

SillyHawk 08-17-2006 06:04 PM

the OEM shouldnt even be classified as "Heavy"...i havent figured out if the weight difference helps yet either.

Tempest 08-17-2006 06:04 PM

Thanks......

I did wonder if this talk of heavy bar ends reducing vibration etc was just a myth, or there was some real truth in it.

Cheers for that link, they look V good quality.

I guess the only one's I'd seen so far were the cheap alloy ones from Ebay.

To be honest, I could make some at work, hey, some metal a lathe, a surface grinder and a bit of polishing.

Then again, if I can find just 1 original going cheap (to match the one I already have) would save the hassle.

I've been doing a few searches on other forums, and people do seem split as to whether heavy ones are any better.

I guess (In theory) they should be, but as you say "marmaladeboy" in reality, things may not actually work out that way.

Cheers

Scooberhawk 08-17-2006 08:44 PM

Heavier bar ends generally work, in terms of reducing vibration. But some people's hands aren't negatively affected by the vibrations. It'll end up being what works for you. I don't mind the vibes. On the track, I'd take them off to save a few ounces, though.

3D02 08-18-2006 06:24 AM

the OEM shouldnt even be classified as "Heavy"...i havent figured out if the weight difference helps yet either.
Yeah the OEM ones are too light. The FJ I owned prior to the SH had some heavy bar ends but that bike was notorious for buzziness and bar wobble. Even though the SH has that V-twin thump from the motor, it is is in no way buzzy through the clip-ons. I wouldn't be concerned about the bar ends on the SH.

L8RGYZ 08-18-2006 10:48 AM

Agree w/ the others. I've had nylon bar ends on mine w/ no ill effects, even at 140+mph.
There are OEM weights INSIDE the handle bars, however.

Tempest 08-18-2006 02:28 PM

Thanks again for all the comment re my original question.

It does now seem to be heading down the (bar ends solve high frequency vibration) avenue. However, with the comments that as we're taking about a chunky BIG V-Twin, this does not really matter.

To be honest, since I've altered my bars back to original (and I only have one bar end on one side) to be totally honest, I can't tell any difference.

Although there are 2 issues here:

1: I've not been for a run longer than about 20 mins so far.
2: The Honda Clip-ons have in built weights inside them anyway.

Not going to worry about it at the moment, but I'll get some nice matching ones soon.

Blurr 09-13-2006 12:01 AM

Whats the best ones to use?