SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Bafflectomy hard ?? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/bafflectomy-hard-12275/)

kd1659 07-28-2007 08:55 PM

Bafflectomy hard ??

Any body thats done the baffle removel share some experience of the difficulty. Thanks

Boofer 07-29-2007 03:45 AM

So many people have said that my storm sounds great, after my bafflectomy. I don't think my neighbors agree when I warm it up at 6 am to go to work. But thats there problem (yuppies). I just drilled as close to the outer as I could until the inner and outer came apart (it pays to put some tape or plastic tube around the outer end) Then I got a Dyna bolt that fitted inside the center pipe and with some VERY CAREFULLY aimed blows (use a cold chisel or long heavy screw driver) it came straight out,it is only held in by three spot welds inside. Then I cleaned the rough bits with a pencil grinder.

Hawkrider 07-29-2007 04:13 PM

There are direction on my website.

kd1659 07-29-2007 05:18 PM

Did you remove mufflers from bike to do it ?

Hawkrider 07-29-2007 05:18 PM

Nope.

Galaxieman 07-29-2007 08:42 PM

Probably easier if you don't remove them.

spdrcr 07-30-2007 10:50 AM

The bafflectomy was real easy. I just followed Greg's directions. Get the right size hole saw and about a 6" long heavy wall pipe nipple that fits over the inner tailpipe (makes it easier to beat the welds loose). Wrap the outside of the hole saw with some masking tape so you don't scratch your outer tailpipe. The whole job took me about 15 minutes. I will get the size of the hole saw for you tonight.

Otto Man 07-30-2007 11:12 AM

Bafflectomy is quite easy, took me about 30min

captainchaos 07-30-2007 03:10 PM

Yeah it's probably much easier if you leave the cans on the bike. Don't have them on now but in the past I had a pair I did, and I not only pulled out the first baffle but I put several holes into the next baffle. Was aftermarket pipe loud and honestly if you're just looking for the sound on a budget sounded just as good as any aftermarket pipe I've tried, and I've tried a bunch. Also funny they were the only pipes the bike didn't pop on decel with (?)

Otto Man 07-31-2007 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 63861)
Yeah it's probably much easier if you leave the cans on the bike. Don't have them on now but in the past I had a pair I did, and I not only pulled out the first baffle but I put several holes into the next baffle. Was aftermarket pipe loud and honestly if you're just looking for the sound on a budget sounded just as good as any aftermarket pipe I've tried, and I've tried a bunch. Also funny they were the only pipes the bike didn't pop on decel with (?)

My bike pops like hell on decel. Jetting issue? Sometimes it has an erractic idle and every once in awhile like a dead spot in rpm range. The bike will hesitate for a split second and then be fine again.

kd1659 08-02-2007 06:47 PM

I drilled 4 more holes in each side making 8 . I think its perfect and still have my stock exhaust to sell on bike . Had the holesaw bought but the guys at the hardware store talked me into trying more holes first .

Otto Man 08-02-2007 07:09 PM

The holes drilled in the ends didn't sound that bad, I just didn't like the way it sounded at idle. Sounded like it had a huge exhaust leak to it.