SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   ARGHHHGGHHH. Guys I am baffled. I need help. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/arghhhgghhh-guys-i-am-baffled-i-need-help-8794/)

AZZKIKER 05-30-2006 05:56 PM

ARGHHHGGHHH. Guys I am baffled. I need help.

I don't know what is going on, but I am a little frustrated with my Brake system Combo. I think the left caliper is dragging on the rotor again. It doesn't do it all the time. Sometime It pulsates and sometimes it doesn't. the rotor is 98% straight but not perfect and I do not think it has enough bend in it to cause the pulsation but I could be wrong. The other thing I could think of is a sticky piston. But I had the left caliper apart and cleaned everything. Are the pistons supposed to come out all at the same time? I need help guys. Thanx

Speed_Demon 05-30-2006 06:01 PM

A cold warped rotor won't feel nearly as bad as when it warms up.

AZZKIKER 05-30-2006 06:03 PM

Yeah, I got to know that, it sucks. Do you guys know if the warped rotor is fixable? I t was a lot worse but I banged on the aluminum carriers and with the help of a dial indicator I could get it within 30/1000. Is that good enough?

dustinwild 05-30-2006 09:08 PM

I know of a few guys that would just take a rubber mallet and keep on smackin it till it is straight. Cheap temp fix as far as I am concerned. But if you can get it to work, no harm in trying. It says in the service manual that the disc run out limit is .012 inch. or .3mm Not sure if that is the warpage limit, or what that means. regarding the calipers, they probably won't move exactly at the same time, but you shouldn't have any drag on the one side or another. If you do, one of the calipers is sticking. Have you rebuilt them, or cleaned them? I would start there, once you are confident in the rotor being straightish...

Speed_Demon 05-30-2006 09:31 PM

You can turn motorcycle rotors but not much. You will probably be beyond the minimum thickness before they are true. Plus as soon as the rotor heats up it will have a tendency to regain a warped shape and because of the loss of mass it will overheat and warp sooner than a new rotor anyway. Get yourself a used or aftermarket replacement.

I would diagnose the brakes by isolating each side before replacing anything. Remove the rotor you think is good and go for a ride. Then visa versa. Its good to know for sure. Atleast thats what I think.

jschmidt 05-30-2006 09:36 PM

Get a new rotor. That one is done. The calipers are fixed. The pistons can stick, but probably aren't. You need to replace the rotor.

AZZKIKER 05-31-2006 04:16 AM

Thanx Guys. A little frustrated here. I think I need to cave in and replace the rotor.

Randman 05-31-2006 05:50 AM

Sounds like it is the rotor...he he,,,,yeah like I would know....

but seriously, I just had the same problem, so I am replacing the rotor...when I put the front on a jack, and try and spin the wheel, it drags, and I can see that the rotor is warped as it spins by force, it drags that much....probably shouldn't be riding her that way, may have to replace pads now too....oh well...

AZZKIKER 06-01-2006 09:22 PM

Yeah, I measured the runout on the rotors. The left one had 10/1000th and the right had 8/1000. Is that good or bad?

RCVTR 06-02-2006 08:19 AM

Straight rotors - good.
Bent rotors - bad.