SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Anyone used "Hot Cams" shims? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/anyone-used-hot-cams-shims-29528/)

VTRsurfer 12-04-2012 07:28 PM

Anyone used "Hot Cams" shims?

Has anyone used Hot Cams shims for valve adjustment? If so, how is Hot Cams durability vs OEM shims?

The local dealer has a full selection of Hot Cams shims, but I'd have to order OEM. Hot Cams are $2.99 each, OEM are $7 and change. I'm more interested in the valve adjustment lasting than I am in low price.

E.Marquez 12-04-2012 07:34 PM

Been using Hot Cams sourced shims since 2003....in three different sizes, dozens of bikes.. No issues at all..

Thumper 12-04-2012 07:50 PM

we run them in our CRF motocross rides at high rpm and hard riding, never had an issue. FWIW also run Hot Rod Cranks, same company.

8541Hawk 12-04-2012 09:03 PM

The only issue I have with the Hot Cams stuff is that they only come in .005mm or .002" steps, so they miss have of the sizes you can get from Honda.

So if you can get the size shims you need, then you should have no problems with them. ;)

Tweety 12-04-2012 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 345740)
I just checked the Suzuki manuals for my wife's SV and GSX-R750, and the valve lash specs on both of those has a .004" range, like the cars I've run in to that have shim adjust. So the Hot Cams shims would work on both of those bikes.

The other day when I checked the lash on my bike, I was surprised to find only a .002" range, so you'd definitely want to get it as close to the middle as possible, or slightly on the plus side.

Usually the dealers or shops will swap you an OEM for your old shim... But possibly not if they have to order them...

E.Marquez 12-05-2012 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 345743)
Usually the dealers or shops will swap you an OEM for your old shim... But possibly not if they have to order them...

This is something i see posted a lot on the internet, and not actually done a lot in reality (in the US at least)

Yes SOME shops will allows Techs to do this, and some shops do not own the shims at all, if there is a stock pile, they belong to the Tech..... Many shops order shims as they would any other repair part when a bike is on the rack and needs something for repair.

By all means, if you need a one or two shim swap, will never need to have a assortment on hand, do not buy a set..even for the convenience of having them on hand.. Ask a local dealer service department if they will swap.

But do not be surprised when they say no.

E.Marquez 12-05-2012 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 345738)
Mike, I think you mean .050mm for Hot Cams, but you're right, that's .002". The OEM shims come in .025mm (.001") increments according to the manual, so I'll have to calculate what I need to get within spec then go from there. Thanks for the heads up.

Automotive shims usually only come in .002" increments, but they also allow for a wider spec range, plus or minus .002", where our bikes are plus or minus .001".

On the 1/2 size shims.. true, Aftermarket shims only come in .05 mm increments... But it has never been an issue for me.

Also true is, while Suzuki uses .025mm increments in shim size from the factory, they are not listed as service repair parts...for most models. :mad:

Honda does sell .025 increment shims for at least some bikes (CRF450 for one) but not for some others..:mad:

Bottom line, it's never been an issue in getting to an acceptable clearance spec for myself or anyone I have heard of.

Tweety 12-05-2012 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 345745)
This is something i see posted a lot on the internet, and not actually done a lot in reality (in the US at least)

Yes SOME shops will allows Techs to do this, and some shops do not own the shims at all, if there is a stock pile, they belong to the Tech..... Many shops order shims as they would any other repair part when a bike is on the rack and needs something for repair.

By all means, if you need a one or two shim swap, will never need to have a assortment on hand, do not buy a set..even for the convenience of having them on hand.. Ask a local dealer service department if they will swap.

But do not be surprised when they say no.

Me personally, I have more than enough OEM shims for my needs, with three sets... a while back a local shop went belly up and I snagged tools and whatnot on auction... If it wasn't entirely cost prohibitive to ship, I'd gladly swap with any forum member... Have done it in the past with local riders...

nath981 12-05-2012 05:56 AM

what i learned a couple years ago when i did mine was that hot cams shims are apparently capable since every motorcycle shop i called or visited uses them, however the increments are too large for setting valves exactly where you want them IMO.

What i figured out by this is that if you take your bike to the Honda or other shop for a valve adjustment, they're gonna use the hot cams shims because none of them have the OEM shims in stock and you know they ain't ordering or they wouldn't stock the Hot Cams shims. This means is that you're going to pay big bucks for labor and end up with a marginal adjustment at best.

So after playing the ordering game at $9 a piece and weeks of the bike disassembled, i decided to grind mine down and get the bike back together. And in this way I could get them all within spec @ +1 so that with a little wear they would tighten to right-on spec.

I am taking a chance because i couldn't get any authoritative verification other than visual inspection on the OEM and HC shim composition relative to whether they are coated or consistent throughout. However, they appear to be the latter and it seems that it would be counterintuitive to have a softer material underneath. Anyway, it's surprisingly easy to do and doesn't require much effort.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...g-24459/page7/ post #189

nath981 12-05-2012 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 345753)
And I agree about the dealer probably using the Hot Cams shims on bikes they service. What a rip.

Being in SoCal, I usually get parts from the dealer within 2 days of ordering. And at least I have my wife's old SV to ride in the mean time.

yeah and the dealer is satisfied as long as it is in spec, even -1 which can go out of spec in a heartbeat. Bring it again next year for another $500 and we'll set em again for ya.

I got my xr to ride also, just don't like the hassle of ordering one at a time and screwing around for weeks. If you got the money, probably buy hot cams and then order all the honda in-betweens. Then you could complete the job in one shot. I'd rather just put it in and check it and if it ain't right, change it now.

E.Marquez 12-05-2012 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 345747)
Me personally, I have more than enough OEM shims for my needs, with three sets... a while back a local shop went belly up and I snagged tools and whatnot on auction... ...

Same here... I have been buying parts and shop inventory at going out of biz sales for some time now... when the shop is not sold as a whole to a another shop owner...at auction I get some decent things..

Like boxs of shims......and special tools.