SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Anyone run ALuminum brakes (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/anyone-run-aluminum-brakes-34231/)

RedStormJ 10-18-2016 07:17 AM

Anyone run ALuminum brakes

I have seen them for sale but I have googled fourm searched exct but cant find any info on wear. I was thinking of doing an aluminum rear for now as my insane DIY sic composite idea is on a long back burner awaiting my tools from the S of A and a possible sp2 engine swap.

Been doing some thinking now that money is freed up and I could live with a late model cbr rim and an aluminum rotor with and a nice supersprox or live with replacing aluminum sprockets as mine is still in one piece with lots of miles or kilos in the case of japan.

I still dunno what rim to use but I am super curious about the wear on an alu rotor is. They claim great heat disipation and wear but have you...?

VTRDarren 10-18-2016 05:55 PM

Haven't heard of aluminum brake rotors. Seems sketchy.

smokinjoe73 10-18-2016 09:25 PM

This idea can only lead to great unhappiness.

Don't say I didn't warn you. You'd be shocked at how hurt or dead you can get on one of these things in like a split second with a bad decision.

RedStormJ 10-18-2016 09:51 PM

I started seeing em recentky but ne thinks they will wear out fast even on a back wheel.

Fastguy59 01-13-2017 01:31 PM

People used to run aluminum rear rotors in the AMA pro races to cheat on rotating weight. one hard application the your brake pads are smeared with aluminum and are NOT functioning. Some folks fooled around a bit with a composite disc made of a super thin SS skin with an aluminum core in between them they never worked out...

Fastguy59 01-31-2017 02:12 PM

In the very olden days there were a few people mfg aluminum discs that were plasma sprayed on the friction surfaces... If it was any good it would still be around

RedStormJ 02-05-2017 05:27 AM

Well I would have thought an alloy would be available but I guessed wrong. As you mentioned no good or just for show. I found the rotor I want and its sic. 300 for it.. There's another for 100. The question was more than answered by you which was are they usable. Answer is no. I just don't get why there hasn't been an insert tried like a friction plate in an aluminum flywheel.
Anyways thanks you answered with lots of info.
I'll order after I get this darn tank finished. I'm so lazy I just got the bike right yesterday. Carbs are balanced and she runs smooth. Still rich but as I said lazy.

JamieDaugherty 02-08-2017 04:33 PM

There are cars running rotors made from a metal matrix composite that is mostly aluminum. Not as far fetched as you might think....

RedStormJ 02-09-2017 03:56 AM

I'm just going to run a carbon. Kinda got some real bad news. I need a new bike endorsement..... So money is less of an object because I'm in no hurry...

smokinjoe73 02-09-2017 08:11 AM

This is the longest thread ever on a pipe dream that doesn't exist.

I realize the irony of me extending its life by this response.

This is like in your garage when you cant find what you want but you find a ton of what you don't want.

RedStormJ 02-10-2017 05:17 AM

Not getting you or I hope I'm not. I asked because I wanted a not over the top Light rotor but didn't have the cash to fork for a ceramic.
No pipe dream here man. I got a pile of parts I want. Almost a spare bike. Just waiting on some vinylester for the tank and aluminum for the experi- mental slipons.
As far a s brakes go I wanted this for the rear. Don't wanna replace it often and I found a cheap ceramic. 30000 yen or 300 bux to the door. I don't think its dangerous as it don't need to be a good stopper as If you hammer the rear it'll lock due to the laws of nature.
As said above a group effort along with some ocmd has given everyone the 2017 answer still say no to aluminum. Hence why I asked.

smokinjoe73 02-10-2017 06:57 AM

Ok, that's fine. You can continue your search for aluminum brakes. Best of luck. Just curious why not just use stock with lighter wheels if unsprung weight is the goal?

RedStormJ 02-10-2017 09:02 AM

The brake is part of the equasion. I got a CBR rim already and she's pretty light. I just saw lots of adds for aluminum brakes but never herd of anyone using them.
Hopefully by the end of riding season I can ride again. I'm all butthurt about my licence. But no better time to finish the tank and tail.