SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Any tips on flushing coolant? coolant type? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/any-tips-flushing-coolant-coolant-type-6318/)

faz 07-28-2004 02:29 PM

Any tips on flushing coolant? coolant type?

hi all,
I am about to change oil/filter and flush coolant on my 02 SH. As per the service manual, I should remove the fairing and undo the hose under the right side radiator.

If removing the fairing necessary for this? if so, any tips on what to watch out for when removing the fairing? (I have removing fairings to do simple work on bikes.)

Also, what coolant do you use in your SH? I want to try and stick to what Honda recommends, to help avoid the leaky water pump gasket problem, even though I am not sure if one has something to do with the other.

Random 07-28-2004 03:46 PM

Re: Any tips on flushing coolant? coolant type?

You can remove the hose without removing the faring, but it's alot easier with the fairing off.

I use Redline Water Wetter and pure distilled water. No "coolant" or "antifreeze" needed in SoCal.

You'd probably be safe with the same in San Jose, but if you wanted to be safe, go with 10% to 25% coolant/anti-freeze.

Only use "distilled' water, not tap water or spring water or just "bottled Water'. Distilled water is pure water (no minerals), so it won't leave crap inside your engine/radiator.

SlowHAWK 07-28-2004 04:09 PM

I flushed my system right after I bought my bike in March... I also recommend removing the right side fairing.... the only tough part is watching were the fairing "connects" or "weaves" into the center window fairing section... it has a couple fingers that help them line up and stay together... once you get past that, you'll be fine. I took of the mirror and windsheild off as well.. although I don't remember if both are necessary to remove with the fairing.

As for the cooling system itself.... once i drained it, I flushed it clean with a gallon of distilled water I bought at the grocery store to get out anything that might still be in there.... after that, I filled it with the Honda brand coolant I bought at a Honda dealership.... it comes premixed with water, just open it and pour. It's expensive as far as coolant goes... like 7 bucks a quart.. but you'll only use 3 or 4... so for 28 bucks max. I have peace of mind I have something in there that won't do anything bad with the seals and what not... but if your in the south and don't need the antifreeze... water with wetter like faz suggested would work fine as well.

J.

Thumper 07-28-2004 09:01 PM

I use Water Weter and distilled water also, especially helpful if you decide to do a track day, because most track day schools do not allow anti-freeze bikes on the track.

As far as change and draing goes. The fairing is very easy to remove as an assembly.

1. cover front fender with a towel
2. remove mirrors
3. remove the two plastic fairing holder on the inside of the fairing, one on each side directly below blinkers on the back side of the fairing
4. remove the four allen bolt fairing screws
4b. I usually put some small duct tape strips on the upper rear part of the fairing on the side that is facing the rear of the bike. This would be right behind the upper allen bolts. What can happen is as you remove the fairing it can rub the two alluminum brackets that the allen screws go it to an dscratch the fairing.
5a. Get a buddy to help hold fairing if you have someone available, it can be done by yourself, but may be easier the first time you do it to get the hang of it.
5. stand in front of the bike and grab the fairing near the upper rear allen bolt holes and gently pry it out from the aluminun brackets and slide the entire fairing assembly toward you about 2 inches.
6. reach in and wiggle the head light wire loose, there are no keeper sor catches holding it on, just grab it and wiggles it while holding the fairing.
7. use a small flat blade screww driver to release the connector that goes to the small light above the head light (this is the hardest part, but once you do it you will know how the next time.

If you plan on doing your of mods to the bike in the future you will need to know how to remove the fairing and tank, so you might as well do it sooner or later.

Trying to take one side on the fairing off is a bitch, but to each his own. I now can get my entire fairing off in less than 10 minutes as a complete assembly.

Shout backif you need additional assistance.

faz 07-29-2004 10:58 AM

:D Thanks for the pointers, Thumper.

I will remove the fairing then.

And as far as the water wetter is concerned, I am planning on changing to water wetter when the track time comes, if it does. For now, I am sticking to the proper coolant type.

thanks everyone.