SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Any reason not to mod valve shims by hand? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/any-reason-not-mod-valve-shims-hand-12327/)

redman 08-02-2007 11:50 PM

Any reason not to mod valve shims by hand?

Nobody local has the shim I need. I need to go from 1.925mm to 1.844mm..........don't feel like ordering and waiting a week. Why can't I just use glass, oil, and 400 wet/dry paper to skinny it up? I have a micrometer to chck along the way.

RickB 08-03-2007 07:40 AM

If you can get it to the proper size and uniform throughout I don't see why you couldn't except for possibly loosing any heat treating/case hardening thats used in the manufacturing process (if its even done on these)... probably will take a while to do but should work.

SlowHAWK 08-03-2007 07:45 AM

I agree... I think you'll have a real tough time getting it "flat" and an even thickness all around... if you don't have even pressure the entire time, you'll start having issues....

J.

spdrcr 08-03-2007 09:09 AM

That should work. Just keep it flat and even. Maybe a finer sandpaper would be better. Clean the shim and check your thickness often.

Hawkrider 08-03-2007 09:28 AM

If they're coated/plated then it's not a good idea. The coating/plating prevents wear and once that's gone then you're ass-out. Just order one from somewhere. Overnight or 2-day shipping on a shim should only be about $10.

redman 08-03-2007 09:57 AM

Well, anxious to get back on the road...I have been thinking about this all night. These little pucks are only spacers. They take up specific amounts of room between the valve stem top and the lifter cup. Nothing moves across it's surface like a cam does against the lifter cup. I'm sure they're high carbon steel but I bet they're not case hardened or plated. They have little numbers acid-etched or media-blasted into one side from the factory so surface integrity doesn't sound like an issue. I need to skinny one down .001" and the other .003" so I'm going to do it this morning. If I put on my super magnifier glasses and see that I've worn thru plating or that the metal changes color beyond it's surface...I'll throw'em out and order new ones. Back inna while........

Lefin102 08-03-2007 10:05 AM

If the shim is an underbucket type then you might get away with trying to sand is down. But it might be easer to take it to a machinest and have it done right. If it is an under bucket you might be able get an assortment of shim stock and work with a few different sizes till you put together what you need. Do you realy think its worth shorting the job by trying this? Be patient order the part you need, do right the first time!

redman 08-03-2007 11:08 AM

Done. Used 600 first but that wasn't going anywhere. 320 worked perfectly. Thick glass plate, the paper, oil, figure 8s, and careful micrometer checks every minute. Finished off with 600 for a smooth surface.
I have done plenty of lapping in my time..I know how to do it right. I even got them to EXACTLY the thickness I needed, as opposed to having to use shims that only come in .25mm increments.
Not to worry guys.....I'm not the kind of guy that just buys shiny bits, bolts them on and calls myself a biker......I get neck deep in anything I own. Built a few very nice customs over the years...mostly classic BritBikes. Sure do love this Honda though.....

FL02SupaHawk996 08-03-2007 11:38 AM

You da man! I knew you could do it and I like your tenacity, but now you have me wanting to go our and get a nice set of mics!

you just can't own too many tools:)

redman 08-03-2007 07:23 PM

OK...PHEW! All back together and just back from a ride up the mountain......here's the report.
Did the TPS adjust...it was way up there...now it's 487
Installed APEs
Installed a Coerce fork brace
Put a long tunnel on the front carb
Brought all valves to spec (what a pain inna ace job THAT is)
JB welded all the gaping holes in the airbox the DPO left after installing a KN
Cut out the divider in the snorkel and took out that plastic cross member in the cover
Sync'ed the carbs
Results?
Front end feels much more confident....if that makes sense.Makes the shortcomings of the stock rear even more obvious. Definite improvement...could feel it right away.

Idles and runs from 000 to 4000 very smoothly now and has lots of yummy ooomph in that range too...right from the bottom! Engine braking, accel, cruising, all very nice. Very worth the efforts of the last couple of days.
There you have it.
Next batch of play money gets the Gold Valves and springs and real rear shock.

jbaxx 08-03-2007 09:41 PM

Good on ya!!

BLAKCK HAWK 08-11-2007 08:26 PM

why ??

Originally Posted by redman (Post 64543)
OK...PHEW! All back together and just back from a ride up the mountain......here's the report.

Sync'ed the carbs

my ? is,,, what's the improvement for these

Sync'ed the carbs

thanks

redman 08-11-2007 11:31 PM

Answers are right in my last post. Bike runs much more smoothly, much more low end grunt.