SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Any ideas? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/any-ideas-10390/)

saxman 01-22-2007 07:00 PM

Any ideas?

Hey all. New here, have a couple questions...
I bought a 99 this June, had 20,000, now has 36,000. Since I bought it, it has had a slight "rattle" that happens occassionally at idle, and after about 2500rpm if you roll the throttle easy. And ideas? CCT maybe? Runds good, no lack of power, no lurching, no misses.
Also, since I have bought it, second gear has jumped out on me quite a few times, and is getting worse. Is this a common problem, or am I the victim of an abused bike? I know 2nd takes abuse jumping across 1-N-2 if not shifted properly. I know I need to replace it, but I just want to know if this is a common problem on this bike to watch for.
Thanks for any help!
T

marmaladedad 01-22-2007 07:56 PM

Most likely the rattle is the CCT. When was it last changed?

FWIW, I never had a problem with popping out of gear.

RPV-Hawk 01-22-2007 09:40 PM

So you've owned the bike 6 months and put 16000 miles on it? Dayum!!!!!
It sounds like the shift dog for 2nd gear is worn and causing it to not engage fully (thus poping out of gear). The only "fix" is to replace it, but you can try to "cope" with it by adjusting all the slop out of the shift linkage and by "BANGING" second home. If you do clutchless upshifts, I'd reccomend you stop now.

The rattle you describe could be CCT's, but usually the sound is "constant" at low rpm/idle rather than coming and going like you describe. Of course, this could be your warning that the CCT's are gonna go. Considering the shifting problem it wouldn't hurt to have a qualified mechanic take a look at it if you don't feel confident/capable of tearing it down yourself.

Hawkrider 01-23-2007 06:19 AM

For the shifting problem, try changing your oil first. It's a cheap way to tell if you really have a problem. Spend the $20 and get good oil (Mobil 1 15-50) and if you notice a smoother shifting and no more problems well then.....you're in luck!

As for the rattle, this could be a couple things. Does the rattle get louder or quieter as the bike heats up? Louder and it's probably CCT(s). Check your valve clearance to be sure first.

At 2500 rpm light throttle the carb slides are rattling. All the VTRs do it. Some you can hear more than others. Rattle at idle is more an indication of CCT or valve clearance.

RCVTR 01-23-2007 08:40 AM

I have a good, complete transmission if you need it.

saxman 01-24-2007 01:25 AM

Well.....thanks.....lol.
As for the rattling, it doesn't really get louder per say as it warms....just an annoying audible sound until it starts to growl....then, nothin' else matters!
Now for 2nd gear. Just changed the oil about 2 weeks ago. I change it regularly, as I put a lot of miles on. It has been doing it since I bought it, and getting progressively worse. I would guess it is the shift dog also after looking at the schematic on BikeBandit.com. Guess I just need to lay down a few bucks and have someone qualified look at it.
RPV-Hawk, yes 16,000 in 6 months. I usually average around 30,000 for the year between my bikes. This year a little above with the mild winter so far. So I'm odd.....seems I should fit in well, right...:nana: I have a 70 mile round trip for work, and work at least 5 days a week. It all adds up. Then there's the "fun" riding I do when free time allows, and planned trips. Weather doesn't stop me, except ice. Been riding all this week except one day, when the snow hit. Roads were not clear enough that morning, I live in BFE. I've ridden down to 6* before and been pretty comfortable with all my gear on and heated grips. That helps put the miles on too.
Well, thanks everyone for the input. Seems everyone is pointing toward the CCT's for the possible rattle. And I am almost certain you are right, RPV, about the dogs. I don't do the clutchless shifts. I like to keep things working as long as I can with the mileage I accumulate.
Thanks again!!!!
T

saxman 01-28-2007 11:12 PM

Just want to tell everyone thanks....the rattle was the CCT's.......new ones ordered, and since it has snowed the past 3 days, I should have time to park it and work on them. :thumbsup:
Second gear popping, the dogs are worn. Gonna get that ordered too.
Thanks for all the help!!!
Todd
:cheers:

Lefin102 01-29-2007 06:14 AM

I had a bike that poped out of second and the problem was the shift drum was missing a little piece out of it from abuse buy the orilginal owner. I replaced it as well as the second gear shift fork.

Clutchless up shifts wouldn't hurt anything if done right.
Good luck