SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Another TPS question (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/another-tps-question-8304/)

YAMAROCKET630 03-14-2006 07:07 PM

Another TPS question

So far I absolutlely love the Superchicken, but I have one concern. I find slow speed turns (i.e. intersections) a little upsetting to the chassis because of the abrupt on/off throttle transistions. It's probably just due to my last bike being a (built) FZR600 that didn't make any real torque below 8000 RPM.

My question is, will adjusting the TPS to 500ohm at closed throttle help the transition from closed throttle to open throttle be smoother? Mine is at 891ohms now. I have adjusted the throttle free play to where I am comfortable with it, but it still is not as smooth as I like. Have I just lost that much fine throttle control after not riding for the last 6 years? Should I just suck it up and get used to it? Is it a V-twin thing?

cb21983 03-14-2006 07:24 PM

Adjusting the TPS is going to help with low RPM throttle response but I don't know if it will be a night and day difference. It will definitely help.

mikstr 03-14-2006 07:30 PM

Re: Another TPS question

Welcome to the wonderful world of VTRs! In regards to your situation, perhaps you should begin by having the carbs synched (for smoother response).

I tried the VTR adjustment last summer for all of two weeks and it did indeed dull the engine response on my VTR, so much so in fact (with no discernible benefit) that I un-did the adjustment and ended up going back to the stock (high) setting (do a search and you can find what those were). I realize that others' experience may be different but I can only speak for myself.

I would recommend that you be patient and take time to get used to the engine response. You will soon come to love the spirited jump you get every time you open the throttle.

Good luck :)

Mikstr

Loco 03-14-2006 07:56 PM

Hey Yamarocket, whaaat's happening? Yeah, we're putting new cover sheets on all our TPS reports BEFORE they go out now. Yeah, did you get a copy of that memo? Great, thanks Yamarocket. I'll just get you another copy of that memo. Thanks.

superhawk22 03-14-2006 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by YAMAROCKET630";p=&quot (Post 18751)
It's probably just due to my last bike being a (built) FZR600 that didn't make any real torque below 8000 RPM. Have I just lost that much fine throttle control after not riding for the last 6 years? Should I just suck it up and get used to it? Is it a V-twin thing?

Yes it probably has something to do with that. Yes you've probably lost a little of your touch. Yes suck it up and get used to it and yes it's a v twin thing and soon you'll understand. :D It just takes some time in the saddle, I moved from a Katana 600 and experienced the same thing. Give it some time you will get smoother with it. But if you want to try the mod see how you like it and go from there but I don't think it's "necessary".

shayne 03-15-2006 03:38 AM

Hey Loco, I have seen you mention this update stuff on th TPS before.

What is it you are referring to?

Loco 03-15-2006 08:23 AM

This oughta help...

http://www.imdb.com/Title?0151804

shayne 03-15-2006 01:47 PM

Right, Ok then, that has clarified things.

It is clear I have no idea what is going on! :oops:

Is there some new information on the TPS mod, or is the link to a movie review just a joke that has gone right over my head!

If it's a joke it has got me stumped! :roll:

jschmidt 03-15-2006 02:34 PM

Pick a lower gear. The TPS mod is bogus.

thetophatflash 03-15-2006 04:56 PM

Bogus is as bogus does. Who tunes your bike? Does the term bitmap ring a bell?

jschmidt 03-15-2006 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by thetophatflash";p=&quot (Post 18820)

Huh? I tune my bike. No.

thetophatflash 03-15-2006 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by jschmidt

Originally Posted by thetophatflash";p=&quot (Post 18820)

Huh? I tune my bike. No.

the bitmap is the computer's preset digital timing based on throttle position(TPS) and the crank angle. As those two things change independent of each other the bitmap chooses the predetermined timing. More sophisticated systems allow you to change the bitmap via a PC or by changing an eprom.

jschmidt 03-15-2006 05:34 PM

Interesting description. Are you sure you're not thinking of the "fuel map" or "advance curve" on an FI bike?

On this bike the TPS only controls when the timing advance begins. It has a simple triggering function. A single, simple advance is predetermined. The Superhawk TPS has no other function than to pull the trigger on timing advance.

thetophatflash 03-15-2006 05:51 PM

It's the same principle. The Hawk is not fuel injected, but it is in effect using the ignition portion of a digitized system to finely control timing.