SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Another CARB set up thread (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/another-carb-set-up-thread-30042/)

xeris 07-04-2017 03:20 PM

Read the sticky in the technical section by 8541Hawk. Your A/F shows that the pilot jets could be bigger. That is one of the things recommended in the sticky, as are shimmed needles and some other changes.

rktdoc 07-04-2017 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Killemall (Post 403016)
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but lots of carbs experience here, so rather than start a new one I just would like to post my DJ run. I got a bitchin lean spot at 3.5k. I can't see anymore the runs the OP posted to compare. Unfortunately the pics expired. But, at least for my bike, it's always been there, even when I dynoed it years ago. Oddly now it's causing misfires every time I cruise at that regime (1/8-1/4 throttle). Not sure if it's on the front or the rear since I didn't have separate AF probes during the runs. Other than that, the engine runs solid all the way to redline. What do you guys think could be the culprit? I'm using a pilot jet #45. Change it or maybe try first to raise the needles a notch? I'll appreciate any advices that may save me from going more insane than the last time I worked on the carbs. Thanks!

Are your slow speed jets clean? What's the screw settings? Main jet size and clip position?
What mods have you got?
Is the airbox snorkel in place?
I run 48s in mine with the dyno jet kit to get rid of the same problem but talkng to Marc st Factory Pro he mention it to be a matter of root diameter on the needle where actual problem was. I changed to Factory Pro kit and could tell difference first run before even tuning it.

Killemall 07-05-2017 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by rktdoc (Post 403024)
Are your slow speed jets clean? What's the screw settings? Main jet size and clip position?
What mods have you got?
Is the airbox snorkel in place?
I run 48s in mine with the dyno jet kit to get rid of the same problem but talkng to Marc st Factory Pro he mention it to be a matter of root diameter on the needle where actual problem was. I changed to Factory Pro kit and could tell difference first run before even tuning it.

Thanks for the feedback. That's interesting. "matter of root diameter on the needle", hmmm...wasn't Marc referring to the notch setting of the needle? That changes the root diameter (to a certain extent).
Engine has no mods. Snorkel is in place, (why taking it out?), standard air stacks (although I played with all sorts of combos following other forums users obsession disorders :) ), carbs have DinoJet kit.
So in your case, you switched from DJ to the FactoryPro kit, and noticed the bike running much better? The lean spot at 3.5k rpm flattened? What are the differences between the kits/settings? If I remember correctly, when I chose it, the DJ kit had better reviews than the FactoryPro kit, but that was 10yrs ago and things may have changed. Do you have any dyno runs with the FP kit installed to compare?

ACE VenTRa 08-18-2018 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 379767)
Found a tear in the front carb slide diaphragm. Was large enough to cause the slide to lift slowly or not at all. Was not there on install, such is the way with install old used parts.
Ordered some new carb slides from Honda, stock order goes in this morning at work so I should have them mid week.

Where did you end up with jetting, I know it's an old thread but I'm curious how the saga worked out.

Thx

E.Marquez 08-18-2018 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by ACE VenTRa (Post 407327)
Where did you end up with jetting, I know it's an old thread but I'm curious how the saga worked out.

Thx

That was my 1st SH, and its been long parted... but I may still have the carbs.
Current SH has Factory Pro kit in it..I'll send you the set up, it is based on what has worked for others and Im quite happy with it.

Wolverine 08-21-2018 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 407328)
That was my 1st SH, and its been long parted... but I may still have the carbs.
Current SH has Factory Pro kit in it..I'll send you the set up, it is based on what has worked for others and Im quite happy with it.

Why not post it here? Is it top secret stuff or what? :lol:

ACE VenTRa 08-21-2018 01:00 PM

That would be helpful thanks. I think I'm going to try and get the DJ to work as best as possible. I've had a few people that I regard as solid in that arena stand by DJ and K&N. Worst case is they're wrong and I start over again. No biggy.

Thx