SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   alot of work ahead (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/alot-work-ahead-27676/)

saige 02-28-2012 12:20 PM

alot of work ahead

ok,i have been stocking up on parts for a bit know.been limping the bike along until i have enough stuff to do a good run thru on the bike.
my first question is,i have racetech springs and rebound and compression valves,seals,everything for the forks except a brace.
what fork oil should i be using in the rebuild.
bike is stock and i weight 175 if that helps any.

the front end will all be done up,changing bearings too,any little tips on that would help too.

geekonamotorcycle 02-28-2012 12:46 PM

txt me when you take off the forks. I would love to lern that process for my own bike.

saige 02-28-2012 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by geekonamotorcycle (Post 326185)
txt me when you take off the forks. I would love to lern that process for my own bike.

not a problem,i have to do a little research,but overall,it doesnt seem so bad.just gotta make sure i take measurements before taking apart.
so we both will be learning together lol

speedkelly@aol.com 02-28-2012 01:00 PM

It's pretty straight forward. Best advice is to have a clean work bench, take your time and keep all parts clean at all times. Loosen Forks cap before you remove the forks. Becareful removing the allen head bolt on the bottom of the forks. make sure when you install the fork seal everything is super clean.

Good luck, it's a nice day long projec, if it's your first time.

saige 02-28-2012 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by speedkelly@aol.com (Post 326187)
It's pretty straight forward. Best advice is to have a clean work bench, take your time and keep all parts clean at all times. Loosen Forks cap before you remove the forks. Becareful removing the allen head bolt on the bottom of the forks. make sure when you install the fork seal everything is super clean.

Good luck, it's a nice day long projec, if it's your first time.

ok,thanks for the tips.
yes,this is first time.i will not be doing it today,still waiting on other parts.im gonna do one big run thru on the bike,from screws,to carbs,seals,bearings etc etc....i have alot of parts.
the body will be the last thing.
i will attempt to do the forks myself,but,we have a resident suspension guy,so if i get in trouble,i will be able to take it to him.

Tweety 02-29-2012 09:46 AM

Another tip... Before you loosen the fork caps, also loosen the allen bolt in the bottom of the forks... Don't remove it, it will leak oil, but loosen it... If you try to do it in the other order, it will probably just spin... A real PITA... I's much, much easier to get both parts moving before you drop the forklegs... Will probably spill a few drops, but it's well worth it...

saige 02-29-2012 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 326254)
Another tip... Before you loosen the fork caps, also loosen the allen bolt in the bottom of the forks... Don't remove it, it will leak oil, but loosen it... If you try to do it in the other order, it will probably just spin... A real PITA... I's much, much easier to get both parts moving before you drop the forklegs... Will probably spill a few drops, but it's well worth it...

ok,will do.thanks

saige 03-18-2012 06:05 PM

so would anybody know what weight fork oil i should use.
i will be doing this very soon,in the next couple of days.
from what i have researched,140mm is a good starting point or does it really depend on other factors.

Stephan 03-19-2012 12:11 AM

I have racetech springs, compression valves, tapered rebound rods. 5W oil and 130 mm level works very good.

saige 04-12-2012 10:24 AM

well,today is the day,been working on the bike the last couple of days,got alot done.
so does everyone agree with 5w oil and 130mm
the bike most likely wont see track days,but i do ride it hard at times.
so would this be correct to go with.

saige 04-12-2012 07:20 PM

how do you remove the bolt from the compression valve without damage.