SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   After sitting, only running with choke (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/after-sitting-only-running-choke-26274/)

1drummerdan 07-31-2011 08:57 PM

After sitting, only running with choke

1998 Superhawk with 18200 miles. It ran well when parked but has been sitting for approx two years now. I did start it and let it run every couple of months. Recently, I tried to start it and it did, but ran crappy and would die once the choke was pushed in. I replaced the gas and cleaned the carbs completely. I also replaced the Cdi box just in case. Same thing...it runs with choke, but when you give it any throttle, it bogs and wants to stall. Aside from the carb cleaning and Cdi, any ideas where to go next? Thank you all in advance!

Fastforward 07-31-2011 09:51 PM

How did you clean the carbs? Nothing short of a full teardown and soak will really be effective. Sounds like classic clogged pilot jets to me.

superchickencornermonster 08-01-2011 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Fastforward (Post 310306)
How did you clean the carbs? Nothing short of a full teardown and soak will really be effective. Sounds like classic clogged pilot jets to me.

+1.... You must punch the slow jet (pilot jet in euro-speak). The best thing to use is a single bristle from a big wire-brush. Go to any auto store and buy a big wire brush (about 6 inches long). Pull out a group of bristles with some vice grips. You can now use that to punch your slow jet. You should be able to see light clearly through it. For the rest of the carbs, pick up some B-12 chem tool and blast the shit out of your carbs, paying special attention to the hole in which the slow jet is seated. Blast out any and all channels. Just don't get that stuff on your diaphrams.

1drummerdan 08-04-2011 06:40 PM

It was exactly what you said...the slow jets were both clogged. Got them cleared out and now it idles. Still has a bit of a miss and slight throttle hesitation, but that may work itself out after a nice ride...we'll see...Thanks again for your help!!

cliby 08-04-2011 07:39 PM

they are hard, maybe impossible to clean if they were clogged. so if it doesn't clear up and idle cleanly just buy some new ones. the holes are tiny and stuff clings to the sidewalls, the walls get scratched trying to clean them. they aren't real expensive.

Thumper 08-04-2011 08:43 PM

did you try some new gas?

1drummerdan 08-05-2011 10:38 PM

I did put some new high test in the tank with a bottle of Lucas fuel treatment. I'll get it out for a ride in the next few days here...after an oil and filter change. Another thing I did notice was that it didn't seem to want to roll too well in gear (I just wanted to see if it would turn the engine over since it has been sitting) Hopefully that will be ok as well. The thing ran like a raped ape when I parked it. Shame I let it sit so long...