SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   About to install my APE Manual CCTs and... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/about-install-my-ape-manual-ccts-6528/)

marmaladedad 01-06-2005 07:13 PM

About to install my APE Manual CCTs and...

The owner's manual says that I need to remove the flywheel and primary gear drive to install the CCTs. Is that right? I thought I only had to remove the cylinder heads? Please help out if you know. I appreciate any advice/suggestions you guys have.

faz 01-07-2005 01:38 PM

I don't think installing manula CCT's would be that involved. On an F4i it takes less than 1.5 hours or so for the full installation of 1 CCT.

My CCT is not making any noises but I would be interested in answers to your question as well. Can you may be document the installation process through pictures and post them here for the rest to see??

marmaladedad 01-07-2005 01:54 PM

I was planning on doing a step-by-step photo-tutorial, so I'll send you the pictures when I'm done. I'm sure most of the active members here, though, can do the CCT install with eyes closed and both hands tied behind their backs. ;)

marmaladedad 01-14-2005 09:19 PM

Re: About to install my APE Manual CCTs and...

One CCT installed. One more to go...

How the heck did you guys reach the tiny front cylinder head cover bolts!???

Here's a picture of the APE MCCT (top) versus the stock CCT (bottom).

http://www.geocities.com/marmaladebo...temp/cct07.jpg

Rollingalong 01-16-2005 05:36 AM

I used those APE's when I built the engine on a bench . Should not be too tough to get to the front valve cover bolts though .

Off Topic :

You guys really should take time and stick a longer duration intake cam in you Super Hawks when replacing you CCT's. Wakes them up pretty good in the middle on up and is an easy job IMO .

$250 does it and no re-phasing required , just stick them in . Stock valve springs can be used . They really rumble at idle and run /act more like Honda should have made them to start with .

These lobes are not on Megacycles , Cammotion websites . They come off a cam lobe profile master sheet and I can get you as good as or better than Moriwaki Stage I performance for less than 1/2 the price. When rewelding , the cam heel is left alone and is indexed off the stock cams so the intake lobe centerline stays the same as stock which is 102 .

Some guys just think they wheelie good stock .LOL

It's a win win 8)

I'll write up details along with which company to send them to and 3 different lobe numbers and specs that can be used if anyone is interested . No need to remove the exhaust cam other than you can do the valve adjustments most bikes need while in there .

marmaladedad 01-16-2005 06:55 PM

That's pretty interesting info. I'm definitely interested in seeing details once you get them organized.

As for my CCT install, it's all gone kaput. I put everything back together, go to start up the bike, and nada. I hear the bike trying to turn over, but it sounds like there's no fuel flowing. I rechecked the lines, and everything I had disassembled. Still not working. Sooooo...my baby's going to a shop tomorrow to get sorted out. This is good, too, since I noticed the cam chain tension was hard to adjust. I'd get the right amount of deflection. But, upon rotating the crankshaft, the chain would be too tight, then too loose, then just right...felt like Goldilocks...

igeorgei 01-22-2005 07:41 PM

The VTR 1000's have an automatically closing fuel petcock.
The petcock requires vacuum from the carb to open. Did you remember to hook up ALL your lines to your gas tank?

IGeorgeI

marmaladedad 01-23-2005 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by igeorgei";p=&quot (Post 2163)
The VTR 1000's have an automatically closing fuel petcock.
The petcock requires vacuum from the carb to open. Did you remember to hook up ALL your lines to your gas tank?

Yes, I did hook up all the lines, but no luck. I ended up bringing the SuperHawk to my local dealership, where after charging me an arm and a leg, they got her running again. The service advisor told me that the cam chain had skipped a few teeth on the gears, and wasn't even sitting properly on the teeth. I also had some sort of vacuum leak (although I checked all the connections). At the same time he checked my valves, so everything is hunky dory in my world.

From now on, I'm gonna stick to oil changes only.