SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   99 vtr1000 issues (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/99-vtr1000-issues-29047/)

vtr1000long 08-23-2012 05:00 AM

99 vtr1000 issues

New to the VTR bike. Got this bike for cheap and it has a few problems.
it’s a 99 with 38,000 miles.
Shifts fine, but while riding, has a lot of vibration and raddle/knock or tick coming from the upper part of the engine. Bike is sluggish.
Guy told me that he used 87 gas in it. And the result of that was something he called spark knock.
Anyone ever head of this/ or have any possible reasons why the bike rides this way. Rides like every bolt or engine mount is loose.
Is this just how Ltwin engines ride?

kardiac996 08-23-2012 05:53 AM

Typically These bikes are rather smooth when tuned properly. 87 oct is what I am using without any issues. I did read a Thread in the knowledge base some time ago that 93 oct gas is more difficult to ignite and not suggested to run in our bikes.(Ill let a more senior person Clarify)

I would start with obvious questions. Have the valves been serviced lately? Adjusted? How about the carbs? Maybe they need to be cleaned or tweaked depending on what modifications are done to the bike. Does it have after market cans? Did it ride this way since purchase or is this a brand new symptom? Did the Previous owner provide any maintenance documentation? If not assume they didn't do it and start working through service items oil change, valves etc..

A little bit more background on what is on there or history might be easier to diagnose over the internet.

Several stock items prone to failure are CCT's - R/R. Info on these items are also located in the Knowledge base.

BTW welcome to the club!

Wicky 08-23-2012 06:23 AM

Firstly stop riding it in case there is damage being caused. Next download the PDF Honda service manual for the bike from the Workshop Knowledgebase.

Check as suggested valve clearances, and if the CCTs are on the way out (which normally go without warning), give it a full service, checking bearings and bolts are all torqued up correctly , fluids are changed and bled. Clean carbs, treat to new sparkplugs and new gas, balance carbs.

vtr1000long 08-23-2012 07:52 AM

the previous owner only had the bike a few day. and he never rode before. so im just going to give it the overhaul. i know what the ctt is but what is the r/r?
the only mods that i know about is a extented swing arm. it has factory cans. not sure on the filer or carbs. thanks for the advice.

kardiac996 08-23-2012 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by vtr1000long (Post 340398)
the previous owner only had the bike a few day. and he never rode before. so im just going to give it the overhaul. i know what the ctt is but what is the r/r?
the only mods that i know about is a extented swing arm. it has factory cans. not sure on the filer or carbs. thanks for the advice.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...why-how-25117/

Explanation on R/R see above thread. The original stock unit is prone to overheating and failure causing surges and complete loss of power. CCT and R/R replacement are #1 in preventative maintenance on these bikes. Your current mileage is also around the time where these like to fail without warning.

vtr1000long 08-23-2012 08:28 AM

so im ordering the cct and i seen some kits come with one and some come with two. do i need to?
the mosfet r/r, is that something i can buy? if so where?
are these DIY mods?

Jack Flash 08-23-2012 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by vtr1000long (Post 340402)
so im ordering the cct and i seen some kits come with one and some come with two. do i need to?
are these DIY mods?

CCT's need two, one for the front, and one for the rear cylinder. Be sure to follow instructions when you install them to avoid later disasters. There are some very informative threads in this forum on CCT installation. Let me try and find it.

kardiac996 08-23-2012 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by vtr1000long (Post 340402)
are these DIY mods?

They can be DIY if your inclined enough to start the procedures. You need 2 Manual cct's one for the rear and front (APE makes a solid unit), we also have a forum member who makes them (superdutyd) I can tell you he does great work and i have his CCT's installed on my bike. Go the the knowledge base section and read the stickies it will answer all your questions.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...er-swap-14380/

The above link is for the R/R it will give you some options to purchase.

Id advise start using the search function as these topics have been covered over and over again.

Erik S. 08-23-2012 08:40 AM

Yes, you need two CCTs. One for each cylinder.

Not sure of the best source for a mosfet R/R right now. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Yes, they are both DIY projects, and excellent write-ups are available on this site. Should be stickied in one of the forum sections.

Jack Flash 08-23-2012 08:42 AM

CCTs-How to change OEM to Manual Ape CCTs

Here it is !

Wolverine 08-23-2012 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by vtr1000long (Post 340388)
Guy told me that he used 87 gas in it. And the result of that was something he called spark knock. Anyone ever heard of this

I have always used the lowest octane in my Hawk w/ no ill effects.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

7moore7 08-23-2012 09:57 AM

Spark knock/pinging doesn't really occur in superhawks... our bikes don't really have enough compression to induce this in stock form. Although a higher octane fuel does cure this if it is indeed happening. But we do have a lot of other things that knock about in the carb area if they're out of tune!

vtr1000long 08-24-2012 01:11 PM

Thanks everyone for all the advice