SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   99 runs awful after tuneup, help me help my mechanic. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/99-runs-awful-after-tuneup-help-me-help-my-mechanic-35933/)

barrysuperhawk 06-26-2022 07:17 PM

99 runs awful after tuneup, help me help my mechanic.

So I took my 99 (18,780 miles) into the shop and had some work done, now my hawk struggles to start, bogs down while riding, wants to idle 5-600rpm, and in general runs like doo doo. Prior to being in the shop it ran perfectly, and the mechanic and I are both stretching our head trying to figure out what we did that might have screwed that up.

I am not a mechanic at all so I need help to diagnose this so I figure I will list off the things that I had done, and hopefully one of y'all will take pity on me and tell me either what I should check here in my garage or what I should tell the mechanic when he gets it back.

New air filter, OEM spec hi-flow brand
Factory Petcock rebuild kit installed (what started this)
New ngk dpr9eix-9 5545 spark plugs installed in place of evx
Clutch and brake fluids drained refilled and bled.
Bike is full of fresh no alcohol gasoline.

I have previously put ape manual CCT.
It's never had any other engine work or carb work done on it in fact that was the original air filter and spark plugs that came in the bike. I have not done a pair removal on this bike, the bubbling and popping never really bothered me.

So, a word about my mechanic he's super honest and very talented but his primary focus is dirt bikes now and ducati's earlier, so it's not specifically familiar with this bike. The only actual Honda dealer near me is utterly useless so I go to this guy. I'd like to be able to give him a list of specific things to check, unless there's somebody on this forum in Central Illinois that could possibly help me a little more directly, lol. So thank you ahead of time for your assistance.

YMRacing 06-27-2022 03:44 PM

Nothing there that sounds like it should create such a problem. May have been something done during the work that is totally unrelated. Disconnected, redirected, crimped....

jefejrs 06-27-2022 07:13 PM

vacuum line?

barrysuperhawk 06-27-2022 07:34 PM

Yeah I talked to the mechanic after I got home and we're both pretty stumped, unless one of the spark plug wires broke or something.

Oh I think I forgot to mention that we also changed my spit tank and did a flush and fill on the coolant, but when I test wrote it I didn't even get it warm enough to activate that.

I was also going to pull up the picture of the petcock install and make sure that all of the hoses were connected up correctly.
Any other suggestions of things out there have him check?

xeris 07-03-2022 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by barrysuperhawk (Post 414760)
Yeah I talked to the mechanic after I got home and we're both pretty stumped, unless one of the spark plug wires broke or something.

Oh I think I forgot to mention that we also changed my spit tank and did a flush and fill on the coolant, but when I test wrote it I didn't even get it warm enough to activate that.

I was also going to pull up the picture of the petcock install and make sure that all of the hoses were connected up correctly.
Any other suggestions of things out there have him check?

The vacuum line to the petcock? Wouldn't be the first time that it was installed wrong.

barrysuperhawk 07-09-2022 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 414785)
The vacuum line to the petcock? Wouldn't be the first time that it was installed wrong.

And we have a winner!!! According to the mechanic one of the vacuum lines "fell off" and he was able to reconnect it... Since I like the guy and he's pretty much the only choice in town I'm not gonna split hairs because now my bike's back to running awesome!!! And all that cost me was a little more time, most of which was either raining 😁 or I had to drive my truck anyway because I had to haul something.

Wolverine 07-17-2022 03:11 PM

Glad ya got it figured out. Those lines are a major contributor to issues.

nnjhawk02 07-17-2022 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by barrysuperhawk (Post 414756)
So I took my 99 (18,780 miles)

Wait you have a 23 yr old VTR with less than 20k?

Lad go riding - Put a dry bag behind you & run away from home for a year.

If my math skillz be correct - thats less than 1k a year....Lord Have Mercy.

Wolverine 07-17-2022 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by nnjhawk02 (Post 414836)

My 03 just turned past 8,600 Friday. :shock:

captainchaos 07-18-2022 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by nnjhawk02 (Post 414836)

2002 Honda VTR1000F for Sale in Miami, FL - OfferUp

This '02 in Miami only has 600 (that's HUNDRED) miles lol...

skokievtr 07-28-2022 02:10 AM

I've got a few more miles on one of my 98s...

Just a few
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...9784b2718b.jpg