SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   929 shock on superhawk? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/929-shock-superhawk-6406/)

biker2k 09-28-2004 07:48 AM

929 shock on superhawk?

will a 929 rear shock bolt right up to the hawk?

i am looking to get an ohlins for my 929 and i was thinking that the 929 shock would be an upgrade to the current superhawk shock...

i guess the real question is the total hieght and is it the same?

rray 09-30-2004 09:54 AM

My question is why would you want to put a 929 shock on your Superhawk? Ohlins makes one specifically for the VTR1000. I just put one on my bike and it is worth every penny.

biker2k 09-30-2004 10:06 AM

Re: 929 shock on superhawk?

well as long as you want to give me the money.....

i was more thinking that when i buy the shock for the 929,
i could use the stock 929 shock as a "free" upgrade

as much as i agrre that the ohlins would be worth every penny i don't have those pennies

Random 10-01-2004 04:17 AM

a friend of mine just picked up an Ohlin's rear for his 954. I've still got my old stock rear shock (I went Ohlin's as well). I can compare them for ya.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the 929 and 954 rear shock, but it will at least tell you what WON'T fit.

mamisano 10-06-2004 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Random";p=&quot (Post 1073)
a friend of mine just picked up an Ohlin's rear for his 954. I've still got my old stock rear shock (I went Ohlin's as well). I can compare them for ya.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the 929 and 954 rear shock, but it will at least tell you what WON'T fit.

Any update on the comparrison?

Random 10-07-2004 07:43 AM

Sorry, he just did the swap, I'm waiting to get my hands on his old shock.

superbling 12-09-2004 09:05 AM

The 929 shock is a whopping 60mm shorter.

SlowHAWK 12-09-2004 09:51 AM

Superbling or anyone,

Any chance an older CBR 900 shock would be any different in length and fit the 'Hawk?

I've been interested in this topic, doing some searching around the net looking for someone who's swaped a different shock (non-aftermarket) on the rear. Unfourtunatly I haven't found squat. I guess this means there is no "cheap" fix of the rear shock?

I really don't ride my Hawk enough to justify to my wife (who hates motorcycles to begin with) spending 600-700 on a new rear shock is a "must have can't live without"... Does anyone know of any other shock that can be fitted from another bike that won't cost a small fortune?

J.

superbling 12-09-2004 11:09 AM

Unfortunately, the SuperHawk is blessed with on of the longest shocks on a Honda this side of a dirtbike so it's difficult to find a "perfect" match.

CBR9XX shocks have progressively gotten shorter so the first generation (early 90's) are the longest in that model and are approx. 20mm shorter than the VTR. Not much to make up with a spacer but then again most of those shocks are long past their prime by now.

Most of the new sport bikes now have the remote reservoirs on the shock body which can't be mounted on the superhawk without major modifications due to space restictions from the battery and frame spar.

Doug

vtr_pilot 02-15-2005 04:12 AM

In order for the donor shock to work on the Super Hawk you would need to re-valve, re-spring and lengthen the shock. The donor shock does not have the correct tune to work on the heavier ' Hawk. I suggest getting a 954/RC51 shock and sending it in for a re-build to a reputable company, Lindemann Engineering comes to mind, during the re-build have them lengthen the shock and fit an appropriate spring. If I remember correctly that may be cheaper than purchasing a new Ohlins/Penske/WP/ whatever shock. But if you are interested in a new shock go with Hyperpro USA as the quality of their products are as good if not better than any of aforementioned shocks and a little less expensive.

superbling 02-15-2005 06:33 AM

Yup,

The superhawk has one of the heaviest rate springs out there. FYI, the RC shock has a different bottom mount and won't bolt on. The cbr series bottom mounts are the same as the VTR but the rates are lower. I've run them on VFR's and need to run the spring at or very near the top of compression to get correct sag and I'm only 160-170lbs. Their spring rates are closer to the VTR than other makes who run completely different linkage ratios. I tried an R6 just for grins since they are soooo cheap. Spring is way too wimpy and needs a spacer for the shorter lenght but it has wonderful damping and the remote reservoir fit in the frame.

I've come up with a compromise combination that I think works fairly well (read: cheeeep) but I'm still evaluating it.

vtr_pilot 02-15-2005 09:44 AM

Cool, sounds like you have something that works well and yes I know about the lower mount for the shock I am machining a new one.

jvhy 04-07-2005 11:09 PM

Shocks from other bikes (was:Re: 929 shock on superhawk?)

Shocks that suites VTR from other bikes?

This question just came to my mind when I saw some specks from '95 Kawasaki ZX9R. It has a rear shock that is 348mm long (2mm longer than stock VTR). Ninja's shock has stroke of 79mm against VTR's 60...

I don't know about the spring rates and so on, but Ninja's shock is equipped with remote reservoir, compress and rebound adjustment and of course preload...

So, there might be a possible target for some customizing ;-)

-Janne (VTR1000F '98 & Suzuki RG250W '84)

superbling 04-08-2005 11:19 AM

Yes, that length sounds perfect but..... that stroke length is just way too long. I would be very concerned about the wheel's suspension stroke being way, way too long. Does it have a separate reservoir/hose or is it on the body? On the body designs usually won't fit.

I did try both an R6 and an R1 shock which both have on-body reservoirs; however, they are much shorter than the vtr shock and cleared the battery box because they fit underneath it. Their springs are way too soft so I used a fox TC spring. The R series shock springs can be removed with a long pry bar. Worked OK, especially considering the price (R1 shock for $9!) and looked awesome (bling!) but I wanted something better.

I'm now running a used cbr929 penske 8900 series with a longer upper yoke mount. It was sprung for a 210+ rider. Since I weigh about 160 but the 929 is undersprung compared to the VTR, the spring is just about right. The valving is a tad light as I'm running it near the upper end of compression (refresh maybe?) but it worlds better than anything else I've had including ohlins. Hopefully in the future, I can upgrade it to the hi/lo speed compression option (suh-weet).