SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   929/954 Triple (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/929-954-triple-26782/)

bass4dude 10-08-2011 10:26 PM

929/954 Triple

Could the 929 upper and lower triple be machined out to fit a larger fork?

1mm more on the radius would do the ticket for me, but I'm concerned about milling it out.

Would I just be better off finding/making a triple with the right size?

Ease of fitment with the stem is what I'm looking for right now.

E.Marquez 10-08-2011 11:39 PM

Absolutely.. BUt Cost vs buying one that works out of the box (ebay box that is).

Some machine shops would not touch the project, some will, but it won’t be super cheap.
Pretty sure I can fix the triple in a milling vice and bore out the hole using an adjustable boring bar in the lathe head. ..

Or, make a fixture to hold it to a rotary table, then mill out the hole.

But that’s still significant time to get it right... but no cost in tooling or service related.. So perhaps worth it if the buy in was good and you can do the work yourself or for near free (friend that is a machinist)

mertechperformance 10-09-2011 12:23 AM

1mil removed is still safe, i would venture to say swapping stems would be "easier" and cheaper.

it's a very common practice on Ruckus scoots to run other bikes triples to use other (larger) brake setups.

and truth be told buying upper and lower 929/954 triples isn;t all that cheap in the first place especially seeing it'll need machine work after

bass4dude 10-09-2011 01:13 AM

Getting the work done isn't so much of a concern, my uncle owns a machine shop.

I'm just worried as the paired triples for the forks that I have a line on have a larger stem than the SH. And while I had contemplated grinding and pressing out the stem, I'm still wary of affixing the stem on the larger I.D stem hole of the triples.

Granted, this is all just numbers on paper for the time being, but a free pair of marchesini forged mag rims are kinda pushing this towards a winter project, but I ride year round so I can't afford to put the hawk down right now for any extended stay.

If there's any 52mm triples off hand that anyone can think of with the same size stem as the SH a shout would be awesome right now. If not I'll order a set of both triples and get to figuring!

dehning 10-09-2011 08:20 AM

I know this doesn't help much, but I stumbled on a list of bikes by fork size a while ago, bike with 52mm forks are:
ZX-7R
ZX-9R (94-97))
ZX-12R
Speed Triple(05+)

mertechperformance 10-09-2011 09:09 AM

if zx9 and zx7 are 52 z1000 is also probably 52

scooter72 10-10-2011 11:20 AM

If your uncle owns a machine shop, just make a new stem that will press into your new triples and then machined down to the SH bearing dimensions. I had mine made up to use the 08 CBR1000 triples. I also needed a bushing made for the upper triple, but all and all I think it took my machinist buddy about 45 mins to make.

bass4dude 10-10-2011 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by scooter72 (Post 315992)
If your uncle owns a machine shop, just make a new stem that will press into your new triples and then machined down to the SH bearing dimensions. I had mine made up to use the 08 CBR1000 triples. I also needed a bushing made for the upper triple, but all and all I think it took my machinist buddy about 45 mins to make.

This is actually almost exactly what he said hahahahaha. When I described the problem to him he said to just turn down another stem.

Well! Back to headache time trying to get a triple with the right offset :mad:

slo1 10-16-2011 11:50 AM

Honda rs250 (newer inverted 52mm) should be plug and play. Steering lock sucks (less than a Duc), but that can be fixed.

mertechperformance 10-16-2011 12:00 PM

yeah, cause those are easy to find as well as cheap and plentiful.....