SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   2003 honda superhawk 996 (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/2003-honda-superhawk-996-a-36094/)

drasken 08-04-2023 02:10 PM

2003 honda superhawk 996

Hey people of the Honda superhawk world.

I have a 2003 honda superhawk 996
today I was riding home and something poped and the bike lost power and avenchly died i was able to start it 2 twice after it died and then it would not restart after that I tryied to limp it home to no avail had to be pulled home. Any ideas of where I should start on trying to fix this issue

Okay so talked to my mechanic and we are thinking that maybe my battery is dead and not being charged so charging my battery as we speak also yes I do have a manual but I need to sit down and look through it

VTR1000F 08-04-2023 06:10 PM

Do you have manual or automatic cam chain tensioners? If automatic, check compression to rule out a timing jump resulting in bent valves.

xeris 08-05-2023 03:36 PM

On the attempted restart, did the starter turn the the engine over? Not clear from your description. Obviously if it did, it's not the battery.

drasken 08-05-2023 06:13 PM

Yes once I got a charge back on the battery the motor turned over and started with a loud clinking sound I have a video audio clip of it but I can't posted it on this forum but if your willing to see and listen send me a message via Facebook look for Ryan bogdanich my profile pic is of a creepy eye

xeris 08-06-2023 06:19 AM

Doesn't bode well for the health of the engine. Have the stock auto cam chain tensioners been replaced with manual?

drasken 08-11-2023 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 415886)
Doesn't bode well for the health of the engine. Have the stock auto cam chain tensioners been replaced with manual?

. So had A mechanic look at it and pulled the head cover to find that my rear timing chan tensioner is indeed done and messed up so needs a new timing kit as well as the motor skipped and valves are bent.. only saveing grace about 3 years ago I bought a crated motor for this motorcycle in hopes I could drop the other and gut it and make it better. Was not able to that project so now I have a fully functional created motor that I get to swap
my question is what will I need for this

ZKarma 08-14-2023 10:10 AM

Always good to have a few spare parts laying about, seals...gaskets....crate motor, just the basics. :D

drasken 08-14-2023 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by ZKarma (Post 415899)
Always good to have a few spare parts laying about, seals...gaskets....crate motor, just the basics. :D

just wish I could be more of a Mechanic and pull the old motor and swap it

killer5280 08-16-2023 11:18 AM

You can do it.

Hangfly 09-09-2023 08:15 AM

Yes. You can do it. If you identify your general location in you signature, maybe you can make a local mechanic friend who will help.
And read all the posts related to the task at hand. Also:

".....my question is what will I need for this?"

Manual chain tensioners .

drasken 09-09-2023 05:09 PM

It's in the air now old motor still inplace but everything is ready to drop true

Well the motor is still In place but I have the swing arm off exhaust is off and in peicese the frame bolts are all lose all I need to do is remove one more pesky 10mm bolt that attaches to frame cooling resivore and no socket cant work there and don't seem to have a 10mm wrench go me

Originally Posted by Hangfly (Post 415933)
Yes. You can do it. If you identify your general location in you signature, maybe you can make a local mechanic friend who will help.
And read all the posts related to the task at hand. Also:

".....my question is what will I need for this?"

Manual chain tensioners .

fabiostar 09-10-2023 01:09 PM

before you put the new motor into it, change the autos to manual on the new motor or you will be doing the job all over again.

drasken 09-10-2023 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by fabiostar (Post 415935)
before you put the new motor into it, change the autos to manual on the new motor or you will be doing the job all over again.

not sure how to even do that so will look into it

drasken 12-16-2023 04:54 PM

So good news I swap the motor its in and I have been trying to peice it back to geather my issues now are the water lines and the vacuum hoses I am trying to find a good walkthrough video or pics that show where each go correctly as well as needing it done before the end of the weekend