SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   2000SH, 19k, Rough Idle... no idle, needs choke, slow to rev (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/2000sh-19k-rough-idle-no-idle-needs-choke-slow-rev-8567/)

DaxMiddler 04-25-2006 12:11 AM

2000SH, 19k, Rough Idle... no idle, needs choke, slow to rev

I bought this bike used from a guy who had it stolen from him and recovered, he didn't want to give it the love it deserved... so I tore it down, sanded the paint (the theives primered it) resprayed it and put it back together. It started right up, but it doesn't run right. The choke must be applied to start it and it will only idle for a few seconds if set to the reccomended 1.2kRPM. I have new fuel in it, and my tank hoses/breather vents should all be correct, I'm having the same problems with the tank open as well.

I've been searching the forums for a similar issue and don't quite know where to start. Here are my symptoms:
-Cranks about 4-8 cycles then will start with full choke.
-Will run OK if kept above 4k full choke... i have the idle screw all the way in to get it to run ok
-Sometimes after a minute or two it will stutter, RPM will drop and it will die suddenly.
-Will die regardless of throttle position with no choke
-Bike stutters with quick throttle applicate and will usually stall
-I can't get it to run too long, but when I play with it for a while and the engine is hot I see no movement in the temp gague.
- The S light is sometimes on... usually off
-Today I figured maybe it needs some high speeds to get some fuel flowing through it so I took it out up and down the street... it stalled at 6k and 50 MPH, 3 times :(
-I had the tank off of it for about 8 months while I prepped, painted and got a new lockset for it... I ran it dry, and kept the battery on a tender...

Thanks for the help... I searched first, didn't find anything directly applicable.

Scumbag 04-25-2006 02:52 AM

Re: 2000SH, 19k, Rough Idle... no idle, needs choke, slow to

to it sounds mostly like a carb issue,after sitting that long have you cleaned them recently?

DaxMiddler 04-25-2006 08:04 AM

No, I'm rather novice at doing my own wrenching, I like teaching myself... so, I'm going to pull them right now.

Loco 04-25-2006 08:37 AM

You need to do a full recon on all your parts than can deteriorate with time. It sounds like this bike is in altogether shitty condition and really needs work in several areas.

I would start first and foremost by checking your spark plugs. They will tell the story. Then I would check your air filter and airbox for residue and dirt. Your problems could range from weak ignition to clogged jets. Here's what I'm thinking.

When you are on the choke circuit, the fuel mixture is regulated by your choke needles, bypassing your jetting. You shouldn't ride the bike any great distance with the choke on, and I don't like to have it over 3k ever with the choke. Since your bike is stalling when moving at reasonable speeds (you said 50mph) you have more than just a slight problem. More than likely you are running extremely lean, because your fuel isn't flowing right. Here's some causes:

Vacuum line to petcock on tank is either not connected or damaged/impaired. (inspect this and replace)

Jets are clogged (remove your jets from the carb bowls and soak them in carb cleaner)

Faulty ignition (not really a lean condition, but still could be a culprit)

Fouled spark plugs (also, not really lean condition, but...)

Pinched/Clogged fuel lines from tank to carbs.
[hr:54b815b402]
It's odd that your bike straight up dies at speed, so that rules out battery issues. Can you give us more information about the bike, such as milage, exhaust, jetting, equipment, etc.

DaxMiddler 04-25-2006 10:57 AM

I'll be putting new plugs in while I have the tank off... it is a yr 2000, 19k miles, micron pipes, I dont' know about jetting yet. Fuel tank is hooked up correctly... I suppose its time to take the carbs apart. I personally felt like it was a lean mixture as well...

RCVTR 04-25-2006 01:26 PM

Are both exhaust headers hot? (Is it firing on both cylinders?)

silly question, but is ther coolant in it (water at least)? No movement on the temp gauge?

DaxMiddler 04-25-2006 03:48 PM

Both headers are hot... I did check coolant... its in there too. I put the new plugs in, the old ones looked wet, kinda gunky, gaps were out of spec. It revs smoother now. Its test ride time.

Loco 04-26-2006 08:02 AM

Sounds like youre making progress on it, your carbs are definitely the most sensitive component between the tank and the cylinder, so a good overhaul of your carb internals is a must, if nothing else but to rule them out. Take em out, and if you feel comfortable with it, take em apart and clean each little piece well. I guarantee you'll find something interesting.

shayne 04-28-2006 03:22 AM

Like you I am rebuilding a neglected bike, and after sitting for a while (1 year approx) I tore down the carbs for a clean. Lots of fuel residue, I would do this if I were you.