SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   2 Questions, gooders to! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/2-questions-gooders-9077/)

dustinwild 07-03-2006 10:19 PM

2 Questions, gooders to!

first: While riding full throttle excellerating up to 9000rpm. it feels like the bike starves for fuel, or clutch is slipping, but only it higher gears. Petcock dumps out the gas, so I doubt it is that. Bike runs awesome right to redline in lower gears. So, it's hard to diagnose... I can't find a mechanic that will test it for me because it only does it in 4th 5th and 6th. So, I really can't hear what it is doing, all I know is it feels like it misses for a 1/2 sec, then kicks in. It just keeps on kicking in and out. I can't figure this one out.

Second: Went for a nice long ride, well, about 1 1/2 hours. Rode down a street that was very slow, and came to an intersection, and some punk in a car revved his engine at me... So, I just wanted to show him what he was up against, so I launch in 1st to redline, hit second, and braked for the next light. Pulled the clutch, and it died. Then I couldn't get it running again without thottle. Only firing on one cylinder. Not sure which one, or anything yet, as I just got home, and it is really late, but anyone have any ideas on this one? Just a fowled plug? they are brand new, about 300km on them. Not sure where to look first. Just want some advice. Please help! I know it was getting gas, as I could smell the unburned fuel in the exhaust.

Hawkrider 07-04-2006 09:17 AM

Lemme guess on the second one:

You just fill up on gas when you did the little "race". More than likely you dumped fuel into your tank vent and you need to vent the tank by opening the filler cap. Should run fine after that. Other possibility is you braked really hard at that light. That'll make the bike stall, but it usually starts right back up which leads me to believe it's the first case.

dustinwild 07-04-2006 09:44 AM

Nope, just after it happened the fuel light came on, rode it to a gas station, and still ran like that, keep in mind, I can smell the unburned fuel in the exhaust. I am thinking it may have fowled a plug when it stalled. But I don't know. I just wanted to see if this has happened to anyone. I didn't think plugs died that quick, unless there was something majorly wrong with mixture, or something like that.

superbling 07-04-2006 06:23 PM

Not a slipping clutch as that would let the engine easily rev but not pull.

vitter 07-04-2006 07:03 PM

find a shop with a dyno, they can check it out in 4th 5th and 6th.

dustinwild 07-04-2006 07:04 PM

My only issue is I am really tight for cash at the moment, so a lot of it I need to do myself. If I can. Speaking of which, I am going out to check the plugs. see if I have a spark.

dustinwild 07-04-2006 07:49 PM

Okay, so it's the front cylinder, have spark when I pull the plug, and hold it against the block, but doesn't seem to fire when it is in the head. I tried different plugs, but nothing. Cold exhaust pipe, wet plug, good compression. I am lost. Any help Please!!

Hawkrider 07-04-2006 09:07 PM

Well, if you've got spark, gas, and compression, then one of the three is out of time. I'm more likely to believe that it's the spark since if it was valves it would run poorly or a valve would hit a piston if out of time far enough. Start there.

dustinwild 07-05-2006 04:52 AM

You cannot adjust spark timing on these bikes. It is fixed, is it not?

Hawkrider 07-05-2006 01:03 PM

Well, yeah, it's fixed, but there's a pickup coil and then there's the ECU which I guess could be sending a bad signal, but I've never heard of that before. I guess anything's possible....

Think maybe there's TOO MUCH fuel?

dustinwild 07-05-2006 02:19 PM

Well, even if there is too much fuel, wouldn't it alteast fire once in a while, or something like that? I guess it is possible.