SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   1998 VTR intermittent cut out-light dimming (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/1998-vtr-intermittent-cut-out-light-dimming-34068/)

Legion 07-17-2016 04:02 PM

1998 VTR intermittent cut out-light dimming

greetings all, I have a 1998 VTR that has a very intermittent cut out, which seems like only 1 cylinder, went through the carbs, which have had previously installed Factory jet kit, replaced the coil packs, still very inconsistent-it does not do the same exact thing always, problems are the same, but its not always at 2000 rpms or when the clutch is pulled in or anything. there is also a problem that I initially thought unrelated, but the headlights intermittently dim for a moment, doesn't always happen and doesn't always happen when the cut out is happening. Wicked perplexed and almost ready for c4... anything would help...

Apocalypse 07-17-2016 05:09 PM

I would look at your R&R it can cause a lot of problems like this

Legion 07-17-2016 07:08 PM

I did replace the regulator in July of 2012 shortly after I bought the bike the battery had swollen overcharging and almost burst it was aftermarket not sure the brand but with big chunky cooling fans to hopefully not have the same problem as the stock I haven't ridden much unfortunately and this probably only about six thousand miles on that regulator I guess versus stripping the bike down to just the wiring harness this is an easier option.

Cadbury64 07-18-2016 01:36 AM

Maybe check the battery cables are tight at both ends, and that there is no undue corrosion. Also look at the sidestand switch and check it is not loose and the connector is tight.

Apocalypse 07-18-2016 01:52 PM

it could also be your stator going out and not providing ample voltage at all times

xeris 07-19-2016 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Apocalypse (Post 397545)
it could also be your stator going out and not providing ample voltage at all times

Good suggestion. A failed R/R can fry the stator windings.

Cadbury64 07-19-2016 08:45 PM

It can be tough to diagnose intermittent faults, but if the bike is charging the battery OK then no point leaping into the stator or RR, all those do is keep the battery topped up, but the battery is the source of power for the bike to run. You can quite happily run a bike without the stator or RR even installed, until the battery voltage falls too low. Still it is worthwhile putting a voltmeter across the battery terminals with the bike running and take it up to 5000 rpm, and the RR should be delivering 13.8 - 14.8 volts (or near offer) which will be enough to keep the battery happy.

If the battery itself is nearing the end, you might get the running on one cylinder symptoms, and that could also happen if there is excessive voltage drop due to corrosion of any of the connection points. That would also lead to the lights dimming.