SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   1998 Superhawk Problems... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/1998-superhawk-problems-9805/)

onesickpsycho 10-25-2006 08:59 PM

1998 Superhawk Problems...

I am looking to buy a Superhawk or some other variation of a v-twin sportbike... I will be looking at a '98 Friday and was curious as to what sort of issues these things have. Given they are Hondas I am sure the list isn't that long. From what I have seen the cam chain tensioner is a known weakness usually having problems after 15k miles... What else do I need to know?

Thanks!!!

marmaladedad 10-25-2006 09:08 PM

Dude, you are one sick psycho...welcome to the asylum!!!

CCT is one issue, but on the Superhawk, there are TWO.

Also, the R/R is a weakpoint.

onesickpsycho 10-25-2006 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by marmaladeboy (Post 33724)
Dude, you are one sick psycho...welcome to the asylum!!!

CCT is one issue, but on the Superhawk, there are TWO.

Also, the R/R is a weakpoint.

R/R?... I should probably know what that is... I am sure when you answer I am going to feel R/Retarded...

marmaladedad 10-25-2006 09:20 PM

Regulator Rectifier

onesickpsycho 10-25-2006 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by marmaladeboy (Post 33726)
Regulator Rectifier

Easy enough... Minor irritations... So next question... what are the most recommended aftermarket replacements?

marmaladedad 10-25-2006 09:30 PM

I had no problems with Electrex Sport R/Rs. But, they are pretty expensive. I've heard of owners retrofitting Suzuki R/Rs to the Superhawk.

onesickpsycho 10-25-2006 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by marmaladeboy (Post 33731)
I had no problems with Electrex Sport R/Rs. But, they are pretty expensive. I've heard of owners retrofitting Suzuki R/Rs to the Superhawk.

I found one for $100... Not bad... What about the CCT?

marmaladedad 10-26-2006 08:52 AM

Asking about replacing your CCTs will get you mixed responses.

1) Replace with OEM CCTs, and when they fail, replace them again (every two years or so...?).

2) Replace with aftermarket CCTs, such as APE. These are manual versions, which require retightening/adjusting about every year.

3) One person on SHF is selling springs he claims solves the problem with the VTR CCTs, but I have no firsthand knowledge of this solution. It is an interesting idea, and I believe fairly inexpensive.

Also, you will need two gaskets (one for each CCT).

RickB 10-26-2006 09:01 AM

welcome to the forum. Some riders like to change the seat to a Sargeant or Corbin to increase riding comfort - also handle bar risers or in my case Heli Bars also add to the comfort. The newer SH regulators with the cooling fins are said to hold up much better (2002 models and later)

onesickpsycho 10-26-2006 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by marmaladeboy (Post 33749)
Asking about replacing your CCTs will get you mixed responses.

1) Replace with OEM CCTs, and when they fail, replace them again (every two years or so...?).

2) Replace with aftermarket CCTs, such as APE. These are manual versions, which require retightening/adjusting about every year.

3) One person on SHF is selling springs he claims solves the problem with the VTR CCTs, but I have no firsthand knowledge of this solution. It is an interesting idea, and I believe fairly inexpensive.

Also, you will need two gaskets (one for each CCT).

Very cool... Thanks for all the information!!!

onesickpsycho 10-26-2006 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by RickB (Post 33751)
welcome to the forum. Some riders like to change the seat to a Sargeant or Corbin to increase riding comfort - also handle bar risers or in my case Heli Bars also add to the comfort. The newer SH regulators with the cooling fins are said to hold up much better (2002 models and later)

Excellent... You both have been very helpful... My plan is to go Mad Max streetfighter with it... looking ugly, angry, and pizzed off... New seat is an option and risers are surely in the works... Thanks again!

onesickpsycho 10-26-2006 09:49 AM

Bad news... The guy who's bike I was going to look at is on drugs... Good news is, the SuperHawk is still on my shortlist (VERY SHORT LIST) of next bikes to purchase...

Radiaoktiv 10-26-2006 09:52 AM

on drugs?

oh well, you wont be disappointed, keep up the search

marmaladedad 10-26-2006 03:32 PM

Drugs? SHARE!

dpenix76 10-26-2006 08:12 PM

Hell.if he's on drugs you can probably get a hell of a deal on his bike if you catch him at the right time:twisted: :lol:

Les 12-25-2006 09:30 AM

don't forget the water pump mechanical seal

Mine went bad after 10.5k mi. of easy riding. I caught it before it got too bad though so no mixture between oil and coolant.