SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   '04 with no spark. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/04-no-spark-33356/)

Squid 07-11-2015 02:53 PM

'04 with no spark.

Short story: no spark at plugs, checked: neutral safety switch and checks good, ignition switch and checks good, kill switch and checks good, and side stand switch and checks good.

Not so short story. Pull up to a stop light after a 60 mile stint and put it in gear let out the clutch and stall it upon take off. Restart and the clutch fully engages and about to open her up when she dies. Nothing. I can smell fuel out of the exhaust but can tell there is no spark. I tear into it and can not find a culprit. Any words of wisdom will be great.

Glad to be back on US soil but too bad I didn't even akers it home on my first ride. Hahaha

Squid 07-11-2015 03:03 PM

Also, I did check fuses.

thetophatflash 07-12-2015 08:40 AM

RR status? You may be experiencing one of the many failure modes. How is battery voltage?

AndyMX47 07-13-2015 10:49 AM

Clutch safety switch?

Squid 07-15-2015 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by thetophatflash (Post 388417)
RR status? You may be experiencing one of the many failure modes. How is battery voltage?

R&R is good. No burnt / melted connectors or wires. Reads good on mulimeter tests. Battery cranks fine and had no loss of electrical power before the "no spark" issue. Thanks for your input.

Squid 07-15-2015 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by AndyMX47 (Post 388435)
Clutch safety switch?

Checked this as well. Bypassedthe ignition switch, clutch safety switch, and kill switch by jumping all pins in connectors to what would be the "Run" possision with nothing still. Thanks.

scottiemann 07-15-2015 01:10 PM

What do your plugs look like, if your running too rich and they are heavily carbon'd up you could have fouled out your plugs. Both fouling out at the same time is unlikely but not impossible...

Also have you tested your harness and made sure you have continuity where you want it and make sure there isnt any shorts.

Are the coils getting the voltage they need?

Squid 07-16-2015 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by scottiemann (Post 388523)
What do your plugs look like, if your running too rich and they are heavily carbon'd up you could have fouled out your plugs. Both fouling out at the same time is unlikely but not impossible...

Also have you tested your harness and made sure you have continuity where you want it and make sure there isnt any shorts.

Are the coils getting the voltage they need?

Front plug is fine, rear is a bit rich but both have spark when connected to the lead in my lawn mower.
I have not ran a continuity check on the harness as of yet but I am almost positive that the cois are not getting and voltage. I have not had time to dig further into it as of late but I will this friday. Thanks for your input scottiemann. I'll report back in the next couple of days.

Squid 07-18-2015 01:08 PM

So, disconnected the connectors at each coil and put a test light on the pins to see what happens. Found that when the ignition switch initially switched to the "run" possision the L.E.D. in the test light gets power for about .5 of a second, then upon cranking nothing. So I imagine that the harness is good since I do get power briefly.

Squid 07-18-2015 04:55 PM

Pulled the clutch cover to take a look at the pulse generator. Upon removal a bolt fell out of the cover. It came off of the pulse generator. The other bolt was backed off by 1 full turn and my pulse generator contactor struck the rotor and bent it all to hell.
Dodged a bullet. I think I will one up Honda upon replacement and add some blue thread locker.

smokinjoe73 07-19-2015 08:50 PM

Wow, didn't see that one coming. Those so rarely fail that I have heard of. Good job finding it.

Squid 07-19-2015 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 388638)
Wow, didn't see that one coming. Those so rarely fail that I have heard of. Good job finding it.

Well I think Honda failed on this one. The bike has only 15,556 miles on the odometer and for the bolts to back out of the part was not what I was expecting. when I tapped the cover with my deadblow to break it free from the cases I heard a rattling every time I made contact, I will admit I was very nervous to see what was making the noise.

I am very relieved that it was nothing too serious, just too bad the part will be here before I go back out. However it was fun to do some diagnostic work again.