SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   '02 Superhawk Electrical Issue (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/02-superhawk-electrical-issue-30965/)

dudeitscristhian 08-16-2013 08:52 AM

'02 Superhawk Electrical Issue

Hey guys, last month I had the bike on the highway during which the gauges kept flashing on and off until they completely went out. Once I shut it off soon after at a gas station it would not start, so I towed it home. After using the electrosport fault finding chart, I concluded it was the stator that fried so I replaced it with one from Rick's Motorsports along with a Mosfet RR from roadstercycle.com.
Once all was said and done, I had a solid ~14.2 V and ran with it perfectly until this morning when the Superhawk's gauges started going out on the highway and wouldn't start after trying to restart it at home. Jumping it got it started, but the battery had only 11 - 12 V showing on the voltmeter. Soon after I tried to start it again without a jump which resulted in the gauges resetting and no turnover. What do you guys suggest I go from here?

996thehawk 08-16-2013 09:03 AM

Use the fault finding guide again. I bought my bike with a "new" electrosport stator in it. It was about 9 months old and I had the exact same problem. The stator ended up burning out. Still nto sure what caused it. Luckily it was covered under warranty so I got a new one and put it in. Its been fine since then.

7moore7 08-16-2013 09:04 AM

In all of this, did you replace the battery, or is it the same one from when the R/R failed?

996thehawk 08-16-2013 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 361016)
In all of this, did you replace the battery, or is it the same one from when the R/R failed?

Good point. I know an R/R could fry the battery, my R/R was still fine but I replaced my battery just to be sure, but could a stator fry a battery as well?

I only ask because he mentioned his stator went not his R/R.

dudeitscristhian 08-16-2013 09:13 AM

I will use the fault finding chart again. Also, I did not replace the battery since the auto parts store tested it after leaving it on a trickle charger overnight and it was fine according to the tests.

7moore7 08-16-2013 09:46 AM

I don't think a stator will "fry" a battery, but if it was older and drained all the way a couple of times, it may not be able to hold a charge anymore. If an auto-parts store did a load test on it, this is unlikely though.

996thehawk 08-16-2013 09:57 AM

That's true. I just read a few posts a while back where people said the R/R could possibly cook the battery. No idea if that's possible.

7moore7 08-16-2013 10:05 AM

^ The R/R can for sure. It can fail to in two ways: not charging or overcharging by failure of regulation. But if the stator really only fails with one electrical result: it simply won't charge the battery. By it's nature, the stator is always overcharging when working properly. It's the R/R's job to regulate that at an appropriate level.

996thehawk 08-16-2013 10:39 AM

Ok yea that makes sense. Thanks. Do you have any ideas why a stator would go bad, especially a recently replaced one. I found some loose wires where the new R/R was hooked up but everything else looked ok. I soldered all the wires and made sure everything had dielectric grease and it has been fine since. I'm more curious than anything. Maybe it's something dudeitscristhian can look for as well. I was wondering if maybe one of the yellow wires going to the R/R grounded out. They all had copper showing and pulled apart effortlessly. The plug was completely burnt so I replaced that as well.

nnjhawk02 08-16-2013 12:25 PM

converter unit possibly.