SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   *I already used search* Steering stop problem with VFR800 tank swap (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/%2Ai-already-used-search%2A-steering-stop-problem-vfr800-tank-swap-35177/)

theosagekid 11-07-2018 11:28 AM

*I already used search* Steering stop problem with VFR800 tank swap

My 98 Superhawk is coming home after a year and a half in a deadbeat shop being NOT worked on...

I had them modding and mounting up a fuel tank from an '02 VFR800 and a set of Corbin Beetlebags, plus manual CCTs, belly fairing, and a modern voltage RR. The whole bike was supposed to be painted, as my stock bodywork was apparently from three different paint lots after repairs when my dad low-sided on a mountain road.

The deadbeat wanted paid for another 16 hours of labor up front with no guarantee that that amount of work would bring the project to its conclusion.
F--- that Sh--! I told him in June that I wouldn't pay him for anything other than a finished product. She's coming home!
I'll find an auto shop somewhere within an hours drive to do the paint. I'm perfectly capable of cleaning the carbs and doing the reassembly myself.

At any rate, they tell me that the bike is going to be a thumb-breaker with the bigger tank mounted, as the bar travel will allow my hands to hit the tank at full lock.

Has anyone had experience changing the steering stops on this bike? The shop tells me that the stock ones are inside the steering head.
Can I set up a steering damper so that it also limits travel?

Here's how she sat six months ago with the VFR tank mocked up. No progress since: anyone who's in Northeast Kansas, I can tell you via PM which "custom" shop to avoid.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...8189490c39.jpg

I couldn't find any useful threads using the Search tool.

Also looking for suggestions as to what can be done to hide/cover/camouflage that "hole" where you can see clear through the bike under the rear of the tank.

TIA for any and all help.
Mike

theosagekid 11-07-2018 11:31 AM

Decals?

As long as I'm bitching about paint shops, anyone got a source for replacement decals for a red Superhawk?

I don't know if he didn't want to bother searching for them or they're genuinely difficult to find.

Thanks!

Wicky 11-07-2018 12:59 PM

Here's a US Superhawk logo vector PDF file that a local to you vinyl signwriter will be able to use to make decals - just tell em the size and colour you want - chrome looks good!

https://cl.ly/47522a9b21ef/download/...52520Scale.pdf

and here's a few more vector files from the land of the VTR Firestorm

Vector Scalable Graphic logos for the Firestorm - VTR1000.ORG

As for your handlebar problem - there's a some room for the angle adjustment with the stock handlebars if you slacken the allen retaining bolts and try to see if that gives you clearance before retorquing them back up to spec - otherwise you'll need to use different bars that while not hitting VFR tank will also not hit the fairing (though that can be trimmed)

smokinjoe73 11-07-2018 02:24 PM

Depending on you budget, apex riser bars are infinity adjustable.

Wolverine 11-07-2018 04:18 PM

I do remember someone on here limiting travel after an usd fork swap. I think it was a simple bolt and lock nut affair. Hmm.

E.Marquez 11-07-2018 04:27 PM

Steering stops on this bike are part of the frame that interact with a lower triple clamp there’s nothing to swap. However they can be modified to work.

Two real choices add material to the frame or triple clamps or drill and tap and insert a bolt used as an adjustable stop
On the three I have done I used the drill and tap adjustable stop. Pretty simple really, so if that operation is inside your comfort zone id suggest that.

Otherwise get yourself some Epoxy-metal, add a hunk on the frame at the staring stop, let fully cure fully, then file down until get you what you want

smokinjoe73 11-07-2018 07:10 PM

The usd forks require cutting the stops on the new triples.

I would just drill and tap to put a bolt there. Let us know the luxurious extended range on the new tank. I would love a bigger tank but not enough to do a project. Plus I do almost all city miles so not hugely useful

captainchaos 11-08-2018 05:17 PM

They're not in the steering head they're on the frame towards the bottom of the neck and can be modified however you see fit by adding or removing material. You may also want to consider a pair of Convertibars or something similar. They adjust in every direction/angle/height you can think of.

Bald Eagle 11-10-2018 04:41 PM

Hey Guys
I am Interested in putting a VFR 800 tank on my VTR. I am assuming it is a larger tank.....by how much? And what is the adjustments needed to put this tank on. Will you need a different fuel delivery from the tank, or does it use the same vacuum style like the VTR uses?
I need to get more miles out of one single tank of gas.....90 miles or less, is not enough for me.....I have a heavy wrist....especially when I am with my group of friends.
What say you E. Marquez.....it seems you have done this Mod.
Look forward to your input...Thanks...:lol:

captainchaos 11-10-2018 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by theosagekid (Post 408218)
As long as I'm bitching about paint shops, anyone got a source for replacement decals for a red Superhawk?

I don't know if he didn't want to bother searching for them or they're genuinely difficult to find.

Thanks!

They're still shown as available on Ronayers.com (I didn't look elsewhere). You'll find them under "Marks." Might want to call to be sure as in the past I've ordered and paid for something only to get an email a week later saying it was no longer available. If not I also saw a set on Ebay.

captainchaos 11-10-2018 08:52 PM

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/...54be3280/marks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Honda-L-Frt-Cowl-Mark-A-Type-5-1998-02-VTR1000-Superhawk-64242-MBB-670ZB/192461898644?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Honda-R-Frt-Cowl-Mark-A-Type-5-1998-02-VTR1000-Superhawk-64232-MBB-670ZB/192461898618?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.m1438.l2649

These aren't OEM but also look real nice too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTR-1000F-S...53.m1438.l2649

E.Marquez 11-11-2018 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 408257)
They're still shown as available on Ronayers.com (I didn't look elsewhere). You'll find them under "Marks." Might want to call to be sure as in the past I've ordered and paid for something only to get an email a week later saying it was no longer available. If not I also saw a set on Ebay.

Some of the decals are unavailable some still are.. you need to now if your looking for type 1 or type 5 and then by color and year.

IN example
for a 1998 MY the right side tank decal is unavaiable in both type 1 and 5
MARK, R. FUEL TANK (TYPE5) 17521-MBB-670ZBUnavailable
MARK, R. FUEL TANK (TYPE1) 17521-MBB-D50ZAUnavailable
MARK, L. FUEL TANK (TYPE5) 17571-MBB-670ZB Ships in 2 to 3 days$19.47 $14.46
MARK, L. FUEL TANK (TYPE1) 17571-MBB-D50ZA Ships in 2 to 3 days

E.Marquez 11-11-2018 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bald Eagle (Post 408255)
Hey Guys
I am Interested in putting a VFR 800 tank on my VTR. I am assuming it is a larger tank.....by how much? And what is the adjustments needed to put this tank on. Will you need a different fuel delivery from the tank, or does it use the same vacuum style like the VTR uses?
I need to get more miles out of one single tank of gas.....90 miles or less, is not enough for me.....I have a heavy wrist....especially when I am with my group of friends.
What say you E. Marquez.....it seems you have done this Mod.
Look forward to your input...Thanks...:lol:

I considered the project and rejected it after a donor tank arrived and I got a first hand look at the fit.... the way it sits relative to the frame is just not for me.
Next up was modifying a stock tank for more capacity, there is a thread here someplace on doing that as well.
...was was set to try it with the tank off my wrecked 98.....and then i sold the tank to a guy in need.... never picked up the project again..... having done an Iron Butt on the bike, and many 300-400 mile days I have decided its not really high on my priority list. At 100 miles I need a break even if its not for fuel.

If you can weld and fab steel, do body work and paint.... Id MOD a stock tank before fitting the VFR one...but the fit of the VFR may not bug you and if not, that one is way easier to do by the looks of it. If you can find a friend that can Tig (save the pain on rest of the tank that way) or mig, (maybe safe the paint, but more heat so no guarantees) ...id make and weld in a plate over the fuel pump hole... The hand made plate and gasket thing always looked leak prone to me..... but I can weld so I see a "better" solution then then guy with a hacksaw and file.. reality is, the guy with the saw and file made it work.