SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   SuperhawkForum.com News (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/superhawkforum-com-news-36/)
-   -   Unfamiliar with SuperHawks. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/superhawkforum-com-news-36/unfamiliar-superhawks-26450/)

stuntrider502 08-24-2011 07:33 PM

Unfamiliar with SuperHawks.

Although ive been riding for years, im fairly unfamiliar with SuperHawks. My brother Brian died in march 2010, while riding his 1998 vtr1000. I now own the bike and have decided to rebuild it from the ground up as a tribute. As much as i HATE trailer queens, i have decided to never allow this bike on the road again. I will have some questions in the coming months, some simple and stupid, others more technical. From the reading and research ive done, this seems to be the place to be.

My first question is this: Can the frame be polished? I know there is one section that is rough metal, can that be sanded, grinded, or polished?

My second question is this: Will the firestorm fairings fit on the standard vtr1000?

7moore7 08-24-2011 07:50 PM

Welcome! Sad to hear that you joined us under these circumstances, but tons of people on here to give you ideas...

A) Frame can be polished, but the dimples from the cast aluminum are very tough to get through... it doesn't ever quite polish to quite the same finish either:

SBN - 1997 Honda VTR1000F

B) The vast majority of Firestorm parts fit the Superhawk (the tank changed at one point). The bikes are essentially the same, Superhawk tag for the U.S., Firestorm for the rest of the world. Edit: yes to the fairings question ;)

You could also look into powdercoating the frame as an option... not as pretty as a polished bike, but not as much work involved. On the other hand, I've always wanted to see an anodized frame. I think that would be absolutely gorgeous...

Tweety 08-25-2011 12:18 AM

Rebuilding the bike from the ground up, to never ride it again... Is completely illogical, irrational, and well... Wrong, is the best word... But it's still the rigth thing to do under those circumstances... :thumbsup: Sorry to hear about the reason for the quest, hope we can help...

As far as Firestorm vs Superhawk... Apart from the stickers, the only real differences are in the wiring for the lights/signals and such... Other than that the bike is the same in all countries... However newer 01-> Firestorms have a larger fuel tank and changed clipons...

smokinjoe73 08-25-2011 06:19 AM

Welcome aboard, sorry about the circumstance. I lost a brother on the dragstrip. When you say firestorm do you mean euro or Canadian fairings? Honda never had a "firestorm" in the US. If you mean the sp1 or 2 (RC51 USA) then it can be done and a few members have done it.

Were you ever a rider? You may later change your mind. The rest of my family continued to ride and race, but you gotta do what you think is right. Good luck & ask alot of questions.

stuntrider502 08-25-2011 10:27 AM

I have definately rode. Haha. I started as a kid on dirtbikes and as I grew, so did the bikes. I stunted for several years until an illness prevented me from riding like I used to. I have knowledge of bikes and the industry, just unfamiliar with some of the specs and options concerning superhawks.

Believe me, I know how wrong it is to build a bike and not ride it. This case however is different. Its a tribute to a great man, it was hid bike, his baby. They took their last ride together and thats just the way it is.

Thanks for the condolences and understanding. There seems to be good people here with good knowledge. Now go ride and read later.

geekonamotorcycle 08-25-2011 01:42 PM

yes you can polish the frame, mine is actually polished and looks very nice.

http://geekonamotorcycle.files.wordp...220_180320.jpg

Wicky 08-25-2011 02:18 PM

To resize huge images from digital cameras before uploading - use:

Image Resizer Powertoy - Vista & Win 7

Image Resizer for Windows

Image Resizer Powertoy - Win XP

Windows XP downloads - Microsoft Windows

stuntrider502 08-25-2011 07:35 PM

Other than the standard places like Ebay, Parts Unlimited, and motorcycle stuff, are there any other recommended places to buy parts for or that are compatible with the vtr1000?

stuntrider502 08-25-2011 08:52 PM

Nevermind, i searched and found a list.