Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Larger, front mounted Oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:45 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Larger, front mounted Oil cooler

Long debated as to need, fitment and functionality.

I've decided to take the plunge and build a replacement oil cooler system.
Slightly larger in capacity (BTU shedding wise and physical size) using a mix of the OEM oil lines (just the engine adapter part), SS hose, AN fittings, and the specific band Setrab oil cooler fittings required for the Setrab oil cooler I have purchased.

1st up

The new cooler
1 Each Sertab Series 1 7 row cooler measures 8 1/4" long (6 7/16" not including mounting tabs) x 1 7/8" thick. The female M22x1.5 ports are 4.8" center-to-center. The 7 row size measures 2.1" tall (not including the hex on the port fittings).

2 Each Sertab m22 - #6 An fittings

2 Each #6 AN straight swivel fittings

6 Ft #6 AN Stainless Steel braided hose, high Temp, High pressure, oil resistant

2 Each Weld on (braze) hard tube adapters #6 AN male

Total of 238.47

Will need to fabricate mounts for the cooler and braze on the steel fittings to the oil cooler lines.

I know some would (have) just cut the tube off the OEM cooler lines and use rubber hose and a screw clamp.,, and that will work,, oil pressure is not much on a bike like this.. but it's not a clean look, or finished way of doing it IMHO. ..Functional, but not clean.

Fork springs out and a wooden mock up of the ordered cooler show plenty of room at full compression, and lock to lock turn.

Time will tell .

I'll do a oil temp check via thermocouple at the sump..before and after...to see if it makes a difference.. If not.. then a larger cooler remotely mounted will happen next.
Attached Thumbnails Larger, front mounted Oil cooler-setrab-series-1-oil-cooler-7-row-m22-ports.jpg   Larger, front mounted Oil cooler-setrab-m22-6an-male-adapter-45-degree-2-needed.jpg   Larger, front mounted Oil cooler-ss-hose-aprox-6-ft-needed.jpg   Larger, front mounted Oil cooler-steel-weld-adapter-2-needed.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2017, 02:08 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Engine side oil line fittings

The recent used custom oil cooler thread got me thinking on this again...
The VTR1000F uses a funky o ring sealed press in oil line fitting on the end of the oil cooler line which is retained by a small fastener, as seen on the left side of the pic.

Over the years I have seen a few custom fittings like those on the right side of the pic, that adapt the Honda design to a threaded port you can use a standard AN fitting in.

The custom ones I see are always anodized blue, and always look like what is in the pic leading me to think it is a production piece, not just a one off bit from a race shop, machined then sent off to be anodized..

I feel certain the VTR is not the only motor using this oil fitting design and if I knew what other model bike used it, perhaps we can source the fitting for that model bike, vice a less popular VTR

So the question is////// Has anyone seen these fittings for sale?
Do you know of another motorcycle model that uses these same type oil line fittings.

I have made SS braided lines using the OEM steel fittings removed from a set of OEM lines, and it works, but is not an elegant solution.
Attached Thumbnails Larger, front mounted Oil cooler-vtr1000f-oil-line-fittings.jpg  

Last edited by E.Marquez; 04-29-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:14 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
I'd bet good money on the CR motocross series. I have more than a few items on my bike that come from the CR line up.
Customizing is very strong in the motocross world, and I believe it's worth the time investigating that avenue.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:26 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
I'd bet good money on the CR motocross series. I have more than a few items on my bike that come from the CR line up.
Customizing is very strong in the motocross world, and I believe it's worth the time investigating that avenue.
Im not aware of an oil line on any CR series motor...If you know of one, please post the model and year and I'll look further.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2017, 03:28 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

So here is the first one I have found
2001 HONDA RECON 250 uses the same fitting...no aftermarket I can find for it though though
Old 04-30-2017, 03:30 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

1993 HONDA CB750 NIGHTHAWK
Old 04-30-2017, 03:30 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

2000 HONDA TRX 350
Old 04-30-2017, 03:32 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Found one source made for a honda car, need to message them and see what the fitting dimensions are, may not be the same size as our bikes use.
https://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/view...dproduct=33655
Old 04-30-2017, 04:47 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
You see this is why my mother has always told me to think before I speak.

After a quick search, I see the possible fit would be from a TRX 450. They use a oil cooler also and the fittings seem to be the same. My bad. 4 wheel wonder and not MX.

I hope I'm being more helpful this time around.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:08 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
You see this is why my mother has always told me to think before I speak.

After a quick search, I see the possible fit would be from a TRX 450. They use a oil cooler also and the fittings seem to be the same. My bad. 4 wheel wonder and not MX.

I hope I'm being more helpful this time around.
Thats the same thing i found, but so far no after market oil line adapters for the TR ATV stuff
Old 05-01-2017, 05:30 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I'm a lookin...

Earl's Performance Products UK

Hose and Fittings for Cooling, A/C, & Heating | JEGS

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=26272602...pp=true&chn=ps

https://www.mishimoto.com/automotive...omponents.html

Oil System Components

Cycle X Oil Line Adaptors
These oil line adaptors were designed to replace the stock fittings on your motor.
They feature 1/4 NPT tapped holes for many options of oil line configurations.

OL-003 $46.95 (Pair)

Cycle X (OEM) Braided Oil Lines

Our Cycle X OEM braided oil lines are reconditioned using the best oil resistant, high pressure oil line available.
By the way, K model hoses are different from F model hoses.

OL-015K $159.00

Online Store - Hyper Racing
Old 05-01-2017, 05:34 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

This thread is back from the dead as I never finished the project. With another Texas Summer on tap soon, the project is back on track.

Im in the hunt for machined oil line fittings for the engine end, nothing so far except one set I found on a Japanese site at $114 before shipping via air.

I may still mod and fit used steel fittings scavenged from OEM oil lines... but I really wanting a more elegant solution.
I can turn the part from aluminum bar and then machine off the unneeded part of the "plate", thread it to accept an AN/NPT fitting but in the end, it will be a lot of work, still look somewhat hacked, and be raw aluminum vice anodized.

I suppose I could have the modified steel parts powder coated to give them a better look,,,,,and have the new cooler mounts PC'ed at the same time....hmmmmmmm

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-01-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:54 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
I'm a lookin...

Earl's Performance Products UK

Hose and Fittings for Cooling, A/C, & Heating | JEGS

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=26272602...pp=true&chn=ps

https://www.mishimoto.com/automotive...omponents.html

Oil System Components

Cycle X Oil Line Adaptors
These oil line adaptors were designed to replace the stock fittings on your motor.
They feature 1/4 NPT tapped holes for many options of oil line configurations.

OL-003 $46.95 (Pair)

Cycle X (OEM) Braided Oil Lines

Our Cycle X OEM braided oil lines are reconditioned using the best oil resistant, high pressure oil line available.
By the way, K model hoses are different from F model hoses.

OL-015K $159.00

Online Store - Hyper Racing
Im not seeing a workable adapter from any of those links out of the package.
this one

May be adaptable by just trimming off the unneeded side

The lines are the easy part, I make those all the time...

I also want to work in a digital temp gauge to track pre and post cooler oil temps.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-01-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:57 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I used a cooler from an EX 400 ATV (same basic unit as RC51, double the VTR OEM unit area) and had a rad shop remount the angled inlet to be parallel like the OEM cooler. I was then able to remount it to the stock lines and fabbed a one-off bracket to hold it in place. I have had it for well over ten years and never any problems.

I, too, would love to get some nice braided lines, but it's the matter of the fittings (namely to the cases) that have always been problematic...
Old 05-01-2017, 07:37 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
I used a cooler from an EX 400 ATV (same basic unit as RC51, double the VTR OEM unit area) and had a rad shop remount the angled inlet to be parallel like the OEM cooler. I was then able to remount it to the stock lines and fabbed a one-off bracket to hold it in place. I have had it for well over ten years and never any problems.

I, too, would love to get some nice braided lines, but it's the matter of the fittings (namely to the cases) that have always been problematic...
Correct, JUST a larger cooler is as simple as an RC51 or any of another dozen models.
But and I admit, its unneeded, I WANT the braided lines....
SO at this point its looking like I machine some up ..or I MOD some OEM steel ones to work.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:55 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Correct, JUST a larger cooler is as simple as an RC51 or any of another dozen models.
But and I admit, its unneeded, I WANT the braided lines....
SO at this point its looking like I machine some up ..or I MOD some OEM steel ones to work.
I can totally relate. I gave up on braided lines after having researched it extensively and not finding an easy solution (best I was able to find was having the lines and adapters brazed onto the stock fittings).

Keep me posted on your progress, I could likely be talked into some nice braided lines if you crack the code, lol.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:04 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Ditto !
Old 05-02-2017, 01:47 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Measure the VTRs and give an idea of the connector you want and I'm sure some prototypes could be whacked off with some CNC jiggery pokery...
Old 05-03-2017, 02:05 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Group Buy?
Old 05-03-2017, 03:33 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I used an 8 row zx10 oil cooler in the quest for cooler running but failed to realize a larger oil cooler in the stock location blocks enough cooling air to the rads to negate its own use.

Going back to the smaller stocker yielded cooler temps under identical conditions.

Mounting it elsewhere like a triumph or ducati may work but for me it would also get pelted with rocks and crud so just opted for the larger "racing" radiators. That was my holy grail for cooling to some extent.

I always wanted to plumb in a 3rd rad ala HRC racing kit RC51 but I am in NYC and don't move fast enough for long enough to make that work.

I you move faster this whole thing may work for you. Will be watching the thread.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:18 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Wicky
Measure the VTRs and give an idea of the connector you want and I'm sure some prototypes could be whacked off with some CNC jiggery pokery...
Welll Yaaaaaaa...
Old 05-03-2017, 09:57 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Wicky
Pattern it after stock oil fitting, but instead of a hose barb to crimp a hose to, thread it female 3/8' NPT (or female -6 AN if you can)

The fitting bore needs to be 0.375" so we have full flow and no restrictions in the line (system) due to an underside port in the fitting.

The machined fitting could be bored in two axis creating a "90 deg" fitting, or it could be straight though and the hose fitting can be a 90 deg.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-03-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:17 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
That same arrangement for the oil cooler connection to the crankcase is used on my 99 VFR800, and a reverse lookup on the o-ring would suggest the same setup on the SP1/2, later VFR800s and also the RC45, as that one shares crankcase castings with the VFR800 98-01 model.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:07 AM
Squid

rktdoc is on a distinguished road
Wow lot of interest to be had in those fittings, anyone know a competent machinist who could build them?
There has to be a source back in the day I saw several vtrs besides the Moris fitted with them.
It appears the rc51 fittings would work surely someone builds them for them.
I need a set as I am at a standstill on getting my bike together.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:12 PM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
I believe CruxGNZ has already fabbed up a bigger cooler, pix of everything in his threads
Old 08-18-2017, 10:57 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Fastguy59
I believe CruxGNZ has already fabbed up a bigger cooler, pix of everything in his threads
Ye, but he used a mod and braze steel fitting to do so..
Beyond what a lot can do in house.

So a machined adapter from OEM case fit to An male thread would be a easy solution
Old 06-19-2018, 09:32 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

So guess whose still screwing around with adapting the VTR motor to An fitting oil lines, or Oil lines to the VTR motor...>

THIS GUY...

I have two spare engine cases holding down a cement pad and barn floor........ this morning i decided to look at this long never completed project from a different angle...

Why use a special adapter, mated to a AN adapter, mated to an AN fitting on an oil line when......., you can just drill and tap the case for an AN fitting
There is plenty of materiel in the case to drill and tap for NPT threads

So I see four courses of action.
  1. Have a local hydraulic hose maker crimp on new hose to the OEM fitting.
  2. Drill the engine case oil fitting holes to .562" and tap 3/8 NPT, screw in a NPT to AN adapter
  3. Weld a steel An fitting on to the salvaged OEM fitting you see above.Cut the barb off, dress up, drill the steel AN fitting to matching tube diameter. And fit, braze or weld the two together.
  4. Machine up an adapter that has a male AN feature voice the stock hose barb.

#1 is as close to bolt on as you can get. cut off the old hoses, from both tube ends... If you doing just new hoses and reusing stock cooler, The oil cooler end fitting needs to be cut off, have the chrome stripped off the steel tubing, and a small bubble flare added to the end to aid in the new hose retention. Technically, I can find no SS hoses that is the "proper" size to use on the dechromed tubing.. BUT we are only talking 32psi or so...a worm gear clamp would work.. The hose maker can easily crimp a new hose on, but they may make a grumbling sound about wrong size, no guarantee of fit and hose retention, or in some cases refuse to do the work.

Im doing both 2 & 3.
    Spare case has been drilled and tapped as a test.. I HATE doing that kind of stuff on an assembled motor ...but it is doable with some caution and work.

The steel fittings are on the way now, once arrived I'll drill the ID to match the OEM oil line fitting, machine off the hose barb and braze the two together.

Pics once that second operation is done

EDIT: Some of the model year ZX7xx , 7 row oil coolers uses Banjo fittings at the cooler end of the hoses.

That means easy to source fittings can be used on the cooler end of the custom hoses described otherwise above.
    While I have the Sertab cooler already, it is 2" thick.
    Just bought a ZX7 cooler to use for some fitment R&D.
    I know they have been used by others, but I don't like how close there were mounted to the header. Im going to fab up a mount that lest me put it a bit higher

Last edited by E.Marquez; 06-19-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:46 AM
Back Marker

fabiostar is on a distinguished road
loving this thread and its something iv been wanting to do, iv got a blackbird oil cooler but its a tad big. it has the same fittings as the vtr at the cooler end tho they will need rotated a little so they are pointing in the direction i need... i have been told i dont need such a large cooler but my engine run a little hotter than a standard motor and id rather run cooler temps.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:23 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Motor side line fittings welded up to the steel #6 AN weld on adapter

Quck and easy

cut the barb off, strip the coating off fitting

open the hole in the weld on AN fitting to slightly larger than the tube so you get a good filler rod seal.

on the first one welded up, the tube did not sit perfectly straight in the AN fitting. The slight angle works for this application so I left it.
the next one I flaired the tube end a few .001 to make just the end a tight fit.
that worked perfectly

Old 06-22-2018, 04:15 PM
Back Marker

Floyd is on a distinguished road
Looks good to me.

Quick Reply: Larger, front mounted Oil cooler