SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   Tank bag and seat cushion review (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/tank-bag-seat-cushion-review-25917/)

evines 06-17-2011 05:26 PM

Tank bag and seat cushion review

I just bought a tank bag and seat cushion for the Superhawk and thought I'd give a short review of them both in case anyone is looking for something similar.

OTravo Motorcycle Tank Bag: I bought it from Discount Ramps (OTravo Motorcycle Tank Bag). You might know them from their ads in magazines featuring the Superhawk with girls piled on top. I got the "smaller" tank bag for $29.99, but it's still pretty big (18 to 31 liters fully expanded). So far I love it, especially for the price. It will fit a full-face helmet. It has multiple little pockets and straps on the inside and a clear top pouch for maps. It also has a separate little pouch on the outside for a phone. It comes with a rain cover that folds into a pouch underneath the bag. It's held on by magnets only, and it seems to be the perfect size for leaning on during long trips. Obviously, it fits the Superhawk perfectly (look at the pictures on the website). I definitely recommend it, especially for the price.

Airhawk 2 Small Cruiser Seat Cushion: I've been looking for a seat cushion for my bike, since I didn't really want to spend the money on an aftermarket seat, but needed more comfort for my occasional long rides (I'm doing about 1200 miles next weekend, for example). I was going to try a gel cushion, until I saw this thing on eBay. It uses multiple air chambers that are connected to each other, which evenly distribute your weight to kind of "float" you over the seat. I liked this idea since I've seen the same idea used in hospitals to prevent pressure sores with immobile patients. They didn't list any of the cushions as fitting the Superhawk, but I took a chance with the small "cruiser" size. Fortunately, it fits the Superhawk just about perfectly (18" long and 12" wide at the widest point). It's also way more comfortable than I ever imagined it could be. For me, it took away butt-burn completely, 100%. I was worried it would lift me up too much over the stock seat height, but the beauty of this thing is it works the best when it's barely inflated, so it barely lifts you over the regular seat. And the separate air chambers have space between them, which allow a little outside airflow between you and the seat, so it keeps you a little cooler and drier than any aftermarket seat or gel cushion could. I think it's definitely worth the $83 (shipped) price tag, especially for anyone who does really long days. I'd guess it would even be a good addition to an aftermarket seat, because no seat is going to completely do away with pressure points like this thing does.

I do have two gripes about the cushion though. First, since it's an air cushion, your butt can kind of "roll around" on top of it just slightly. It's not enough movement to annoy me on the highway, but I think I'll remove it when I get into the twisty fun stuff in the mountains, because I like to have that "butt feedback" through the seat of what the bike is doing, and you lose some of that feedback with the cushion in place. Also, the cushion doesn't do much to fix the stock seat's forward slant, so you still end up with your balls either on the tank or pressed on the front of the cushion, depending on how you position the cushion. But for those long boring rides getting to and from the fun roads, this cushion is amazing. I can't imagine any aftermarket seat being as good at stopping butt-burn. Hell, I'm thinking of bringing it into the office to use on my horribly uncomfortable desk chair . . .

Furrybiker 06-18-2011 02:37 PM

Make sure you get something in between the tankbag and the tank, like a towel or maybe layers of cling film, or the stuff that stops stuff sliding on top of a cars dashboard. I didnt, and I now have scratches on my tank from grit that got under the bag.

Do like the sound of the cushion though!

fred 06-22-2011 06:57 PM

thanks for the reviews. i'm gonna take a closer look at that tank bag.

--fred

InZanity 06-22-2011 07:02 PM

i did order one.
thanks for the review.
will wait on the cushion though, at least for now.