SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   Shoei guys check in here: (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/shoei-guys-check-here-32958/)

Wolverine 03-06-2015 04:31 PM

Shoei guys check in here:

Shoei Helmets CWR-1 Transitions Photochromic Pinlock Face Shield | NEW PRODUCTS
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/si...?itok=dktvzhXE

I personally got tired of swapping shields years ago. I'd just leave my dark visor on, always. After getting the craps of night riding w/ tinted visibility, and the fact that I needed a new lid, I broke down and bought a GT Air this winter. Problem solved! Haven't been able to ride with it yet, but sitting here on FB and I view the above post. Me like!!! I'm bettin' they are going to ask a left or right nut for one though.
I've looked into this type of shield and found one long ago, if I remember correctly it was very costly.

So how much is too much if you were in the market for this very product?

Wolverine 03-06-2015 04:40 PM

http://youtu.be/8nesOal7B9c?list=UUL...tIT3K5NlhUzihQ

Jack Flash 03-06-2015 05:58 PM

Yes, I need to look into this. I just received my new RF1200 (the guy in the video has a RF1200).
I bought a lens bag a while back, and would strap the bag around my waist. When it would get dark, I'd change it, and slide the smoked lens back into the bag. This was my way of riding safe, and, avoiding carrying a tank bag, or back pack.

Putting a price on something like this is a question of use. If you ride daily where you need to replace your visor for night and day, then it's worth it. If it's just once in a while, then, it may be a luxury item. All depends on how often you need it.

Wolf, since you got yourself a new lid also, I'll keep you posted on what I find.;)

Bustin 03-06-2015 07:03 PM

Bell introduced a photo-chromatic helmet lens a couple of years ago , and people were all excited about it....but when it hit the market, the price tag was north of $100 on it, which cooled everybody off just as quickly.

Shoei WAS working on a PC Pinlock anti-fog insert , which almost certainly would be less expensive than a new shield . The add above looks like they are selling the whole shield ?

smokinjoe73 03-06-2015 07:37 PM

Yeah, price is the big factor. They have had darkening on glasses forever, why not a shield? If you can get clear for $30 & this is $120, who would do it?

This is why a lot of new helmets have the drop down sunshades.

Another way to solve this problem and never fog up is the fog city hyper optiks shield.

FOG CITY Universal Hyper Optik Light Sensitive Visor Insert

Same deal but doesnt fog ever, even in 30* pouring rain.

Wolverine 03-06-2015 07:45 PM

Fog not the issue, we're talkin' tint.

And they've had the transition pinlock inserts, but not interested in that either. There is a bell shield on the bay for 120 and I can't imagine Shoei being any cheaper, at least initially.

kenmoore 03-06-2015 11:15 PM

Get a shark with internal sunshade.

Not being smart, practical.

Best helmet all round for me.

Hard to find a good lid, but I love my Shark

HawkRider98 03-07-2015 05:57 AM

I'll second the shark. Two years on mine and loving it

Wolverine 03-07-2015 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 383424)
Get a shark with internal sunshade.

Not sure if you read my post, I just bought a new GT Air which has the internal drop down sunvisor...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei...arter_view.jpg

Wanted to discuss how much you'd pay for the newest, latest, greatest shield.

skokievtr 03-07-2015 12:52 PM

Shoei is rarefied air $ and the bell is different tech. Drop-downs have been around especially on flip front which on practical terms is better. Safety is not practical always. Fog City again is a different tech. A drop down with a main clear with a PinLoc or main with a double lens (read snowmobile). FogTech or it's ilk work on all but Scorpion type fog treated shields and eyeglasses. I have a trunk so another shield is easy but why bother with flip down, though a full tinted main shield is cooler it hot weather!

I like GMax's 54s Nolan's N series but fitted Scala Q3 instead of their BT sys.

My old Shoei is like the RF200 and some even older back to their first full face in the US, a hybrid fiberglass thermoplastic shell.

The latest Shoei flipfront IB is not Snell, 2015 or otherwise, only DOT as most flipfronts are. Latest DOT is = S2015 with g transfer first hit.

smokinjoe73 03-08-2015 08:02 AM

I will be interested in the price but Skokie like you said they tend to be priced in the unobtanium range. If they cost as much as a spare helmet then only a few will but them and even fewer will use them since those tend to be once in a blue riders.

Wolverine 03-08-2015 09:06 AM

That article shows it's only for the RF1200 right now.
What is the unobtainium range in your opinion? $100? Hell their iridium and colored shields are already around $80-90. Comments on another public site stated a list of $169.99!

CruxGNZ 03-08-2015 10:07 AM

I would buy one if they weren't any more than $100.

I love the jet pilot flip down integrated sun visor. I need a new helmet for this upcoming riding season and am looking for one with this feature. But, I really love the look of a dark tinted full shield with a black helmet. Decisions decisions...

Edit: They are $152 and unavailable at the moment, from that webiste anyways.

I saw someone mention that Bell makes these "Transitions" shields as well. Edit: Found it Cheaper than Shoei.

Wolverine 03-08-2015 01:10 PM

Bell, shark, scorpion... there are a bunch of companies that have already offered this feature of shield. I'm a Shoei guy though, so none of those matter[to me].
I always like the look of a mirrored shield, but the lure of the drop down internal visor pulled me to the GT-Air. Pretty sure this new to Shoei technology will be way too expensive for me.

CruxGNZ 03-08-2015 01:37 PM

I'm a Shoei guy as well. I am looking at the RF-1200 and GT Air. Still undecided.

Evil_Twin 03-08-2015 02:19 PM

I wonder how long it will be until AGV makes their own version?

Wolverine 03-08-2015 02:23 PM

SHOEI guys check in here...

They've had one too. Not an AGV fan.

smokinjoe73 03-08-2015 04:11 PM

Seems like this shoulda been available 5 decades ago when it came out on glasses.

jefejrs 03-08-2015 06:09 PM

AGV's take on a changing shield...

AGVisor - AGV's LCD tinted visor

Wolverine 03-08-2015 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 383466)
Seems like this shoulda been available 5 decades ago when it came out on glasses.

http://blackathlete.net/artman2/uploads/1/hitnail.jpg

Bustin 03-10-2015 07:47 PM

The cynic in me is trying to blame it all on American lawyers and their penchant for suing anybody, for anything.

"Oh, I was going 120mph on my bike , ignored the three warning signs, then suddenly hit a tunnel...(cue sobbing voice) and then my photo-sensitive visor didn't change back to clear in a billionth of a second, so it made me crash....."

That kind of thing.

Wolverine 03-11-2015 02:24 AM

The way I see it, they probably just didn't want to pay for the ability to use it (pat. rights). All I know is sadly the price will be way out of my budget.

xeris 03-11-2015 06:39 AM

Ask a simple question and get some complex answers.
For the price that this tech is selling for I would want to try one first. The reviews are not that encouraging. My experience with some glasses (30 years ago) was not that great, did not get dark enough (one of the current criticisms of the shields), slow to respond and got too dark on certain overcast conditions.
At some point the tech, instead of adding to it, gets in the way of the experience.

Wolverine 03-14-2015 05:21 PM

Has anyone here used a helmet quick release? I'm seeing some that are interesting but I'm very skeptical.