SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   Pull the trigger on a Gt Air? Who has one? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/pull-trigger-gt-air-who-has-one-33197/)

jefejrs 05-14-2015 05:38 PM

Pull the trigger on a Gt Air? Who has one?

Hey all,

Time for a new lid and I'm looking at the Shoei GT Air.. Please chime in if you have one. Pros cons? Do you use the internal visor.. It's going to be my street helmet so I'm interested in the noise level for music etc. Reviews say its quiet..

Thanks for the input...

thedeatons 05-14-2015 05:40 PM

I tried one on and it was the wrong shape. Didn't realize it until i tried on the X12 right beside it. X12 felt perfect, GT AIR felt weird.

I ended up with an X11.

James

Wolverine 05-14-2015 07:41 PM

I just bought one this winter. It is definitely much quieter than my RF1000. One of the features that help is the chin curtain, which seals air flow, which in turn causes a little more fogging than I'm used to. To remedy that, they included the pin-lock visor. Haven't installed it yet, but I'm sure it will remedy the issue.
I haven't installed my speakers yet but there is room already there for them, which will be very convenient.
I've always felt the large Shoei fit me great, this one is a little firm but may wear in. Internal visor is great so far. It was the main reason for me to buy this lid. I travel to work in the early a.m. and I never bothered switching from dark smoke.

It feels a bit lighter too.

ren 05-14-2015 07:46 PM

I love mine, have a Sena 20S attached along with a Drift Ghost-S up top. I use the sun visor almost all the time unless it's night (not having to switch visors is HUGE), venting is great here in LA where it can get real hot. It's comfortable. With earplugs in I can hear my music great, if you want I can upload a youtube video of what it sounds like inside as I have a wired mic connected to the camera

CruxGNZ 05-14-2015 08:29 PM

I was looking at the GT Air and the RF1200. I love the looks, the pinlock, and internal visor of the GT Air. However, and please correct me if I am wrong here, but the GT Air cannot be used for track days. Something about it not having a certain rating. So, if I was going to have a track day in my future, I would need to buy yet another helmet. I don't want to spend a grand on helmets, so it looks like the RF1200 will be my next helmet.

scottiemann 05-14-2015 08:33 PM

your correct, helmets with internal visor systems dont meet snell(i think) standards... I'm pretty sure there are no helmets with internal visors that meet requirements for the track

scottiemann 05-14-2015 08:34 PM

I may be wrong about the specific standard it does not meet but I am right about internal visor systems not meeting those standards

jefejrs 05-14-2015 09:14 PM

Correct about the rating..Have a track day helmet so ok there..Honestly the track days I've done (various tracks and various organizers) I think they actually checked gear once (and that was a race school)..Never looked at manufacturing dates ratings etc..So could be safe but....

Thanks for the reply's. Good to hear positives about the helmet..trying on again tomorrow..

Anyone else?

NZSpokes 05-15-2015 01:10 AM

Ive had one for about 6 months. Pinlock on from the start. Great thing. Mine is road use only as I have a HJC RPHA10 for track.

GT Air is stable at speed up to about 130mph. Noise will be down to your bike setup, height etc