SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   New (to me) Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddle Bags (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/new-me-nelson-rigg-cl950-saddle-bags-28962/)

Bandit400man 08-10-2012 09:44 AM

New (to me) Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddle Bags

7 Attachment(s)
Hey guys settled upon these bags and after negotiating a fair price with the seller on fleabay, I bought them. Here are some pics and opinions so far:

Attachment 24359

Attachment 24360

Attachment 24361

With a rain cover on. They were actually pretty good quality feel...with a drawstring and pinch thingy to tighten them up nice and snug:

Attachment 24362

This is one of the buckle attachments shown, looped around the rear footpeg mount (I had to make my own out of a non-used shoulder holster):

Attachment 24363

One of the few drawbacks (along with not being able to hide the straps under the seat, even the stock seat) for those with a fender eliminator: the strap that goes across the back basically blocks view of the rear turn signals:

Attachment 24364

Here is a size comparison. They were actually good size, not too big or small and seems able to fit 3 days or so of a complete clothing change in one bag:

Attachment 24365

I have yet to test them out for paint rubbing, sliding, weird wear or feel at speeds...plan to hear from me again with an update. Also, I'm worried about those foam heat shields keeping the carbon exhaust too hot...from what Ive heard they need airflow to prevent them from burning/overheating.
What bags do you have? Post pics!
Cheers!:D

Wolverine 08-10-2012 10:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Bandit, where is ABE PA?

Here is my Cortech:
Attachment 24357
Attachment 24358

xeris 08-12-2012 07:58 AM

Any heat issues with the exhaust?

Bandit400man 08-18-2012 06:31 AM

Wolverine, its allentown/bethlehem/easton...Matter of fact headed to Harrisburg as soon as my face stops bleeding, damn shaving cut lol

And xeris, havent noticed yet as Ive not traveled with them yet. Plan to do that today and will follow up soon!

Bandit400man 08-20-2012 03:18 PM

So last weekend I got to test out the bags.

And I'm happy to say there was no paint wear, weird feelings at speed (100+) or any failures of any kind (zippers coming undone, straps torn or slipped).

BUT...those foam pads to protect the paint are just that. They started to burn..well, not really burn but blacken from the heat of the exhaust. I guess an actual heat shield is in order!

So overall I'm happy with my purchase, and recommend them (but get a heat shield too).

merckid 08-20-2012 04:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
cant tell in the pictures, but it doesn't look like you have anything to keep the bags from pushing in on the tail piece...from PO experience this will break the mounting tabs on the bottom side of the tail. The PO and i fashioned up a cage to go over the back that mounts in place of the passenger foot pegs(since you wont be carrying a passenger anyways) and goes up and over the rear seat. The rack pivots to allow for seat removal and also gives an added space on top to strap more luggage to. Your would have to be slightly different because of your exhaust. but same idea.

Bandit400man 08-20-2012 06:52 PM

Ooooohhh I see what your sayin...hmmm...That is a cool lookin rack, what did you modify to make it? Or is it a custom design? Sucks you have to remove the rear foot pegs and its like an actual operation to install/remove...

My thoughts were that the bags are held tight by looping around the foot pegs and pulling down rather than together (like the one pic shows with the strap blocking the turnsignals)...they are actually looser than they look, because the more I pulled them together, the more it pulled the exhaust cans together and in turn more force on the joint at the bottom of the exhaust.

But I understand what you mean...it HAS to put some squeezing force on the fairing and those tabs...I take it your tail section is/was similar/same?

Maybe I could use like...a metal bar or something like it to place between the bags below the tail (at just the right length/distance) and then strap firmly to that? Hmmmm....Cause that would suck if those tabs busted...but I like my bags!

How much riding did you do with the bags strapped like you see, on your bike, before those tabs broke? Constantly on? Most of the time? Or just a weekend trip once or twice a month?

merckid 08-20-2012 07:54 PM

the rack is made of your local house hold electrical conduit. its not that bad to put it on or take it off, its 4 bolts and your done. Once you start loading the bags down with luggage, and the bouncing effect caused by the roads that squeezing force will increase greatly. i believe the tabs broke on a trip to Colorado from Wisconsin, but i could be incorrect as it happened when the previous owner had the bike. (my high school teacher, and know on here as autotech) i know the bags were not on all the time. Just for long trips.

BTW, they are nice looking bags!!!

superbeater 08-20-2012 08:00 PM

I have those bags. I used them on the Hawk on a 600 mile trip. They worked great. I have low pipes though:(
I added a small tie down point below my license plate.
Glad you like 'em.

Bandit400man 08-21-2012 02:49 PM

Everyday electrical conduit? Lol
And super, what do you mean by a small tie down point? Do you have any bracing anywhere?

superbeater 08-21-2012 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit400man (Post 340287)
Everyday electrical conduit? Lol
And super, what do you mean by a small tie down point? Do you have any bracing anywhere?

A PO installed a fender eliminator made of stainless steel. It retains the original SH license light. Below the light the license plate bolts a plate. I welded 1 inch steel rings to a 1/2 x 1/8 flat bar about 10 inches overall and attached it to the bottom holes in the license plate. O=======O This gave me 2 rings to attach the bag's rear tie downs. I also got some clear vinyl from a place that protects car front ends to protect my paint.

Bandit400man 08-21-2012 06:02 PM

Hmmm..interesting. Could you take any pictures of your stainless fender eliminator? Thats just the solution I want, something I imagine looks low key.

superbeater 08-21-2012 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit400man (Post 340302)
Hmmm..interesting. Could you take any pictures of your stainless fender eliminator? Thats just the solution I want, something I imagine looks low key.

Look at the pic of the back of Wolverine's bike. Mine looks the same. The device I made was 2 1" (maybe 1 1/2") chrome rings I got at True Value welded to a 1/2 piece of flat bar and painted silver. Bolted to the bottom of the license plate.

Looks like your LP is under the bodywork somewhere.

smokinjoe73 08-21-2012 09:30 PM

I gotta say that sitting those bags on hot pipes looks really dicey/ dangerous. I have had a few mishaps with saddle bags that swung down and into the rear wheel causing lockup (and heard of many more).

I actually turned my high mounts down to lower them out of the way of the saddle bags but then just went ahead and got a givi rack with waterproof lockable removeable cases.

Bandit400man 08-23-2012 01:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Joe, point taken. So far they seem sturdy, except for some heat damage because I'm not using heat shields yet:

Attachment 24320

Now why is it hotter on the left side?

Attachment 24321

And superbeater, here is what I'm working with. Its not much:

Attachment 24322

Attachment 24323

Attachment 24324

Bandit400man 08-23-2012 01:44 PM

And those feathers in the background LOL...check out my other post in 'what did you do today'

smokinjoe73 08-23-2012 04:49 PM

Are those feathers for your village people camanche costume?

Bandit400man 08-23-2012 06:00 PM

LMFAO! No! I hit a turkey the other day :)

Bandit400man 08-23-2012 06:02 PM

So ummm...what are my options for a secure, low cost solution to prevent the tabs from eventually being crushed? Anyone got ideas?

Upland111 08-23-2012 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can try this. I just got back from a 1,350 mile trip to Crater Lake, and my Cortech's never interfered w my tail section.
Made from three pieces of 1" X 1/8" flat bar, the first piece is a "Z" bend bolted under the rear footpeg mount, the second piece has two bends to match the lines of the cowl, and the third piece is bolted to the rear subframe that holds the fender on. (Longer bolts and spacers are needed).
You may be able to come up with better ideas, and there are several others on this site that have fabricated excellent solutions.
This worked for me, and I had it fabed, welded, sanded, and painted in about a days time.
Have a look....
Sorry, I forgot to take any pics before I welded up the three sections.
Before sanding and paint
Attachment 14527
After paint
Attachment 14530

Upland111 08-23-2012 09:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More pics of them mounted....
Attachment 14531

Attachment 14532

Attachment 14533

Upland111 08-23-2012 09:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And here is a look at one side w/bags on. And a couple more from a few feet. They are not too noticable from the side...
Attachment 14534

Attachment 14535

Attachment 14536

Upland111 08-23-2012 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The unpainted version that did not upload the first time...
Attachment 14537

Bandit400man 08-24-2012 01:08 PM

They do look real nice upland, but how/where in the heck do they attach under the seat? As you see from my pics, I have no license plate holder under there...or much else from what I could see...Maybe I could add on to your design by continuing the flat stock around and underneath? would have to clear or leave room for the seat key...

Upland111 08-24-2012 01:36 PM

Bandit,

Take your seat off and look at the top rear of the subframe approximately in line with your seat lock mechanism.
There should be two mounting holes in the subframe. I bolted in the rear "U" piece that was then welded to the long flat bar. That is, unless the subframe is not the same on all years of our bikes? Obviously mine is the 05'.

ChillyWaa 09-05-2013 08:31 AM

Hi - I'm thinking about purchasing a similar set of bags for camping. Do you think you could also fit a passenger? Even if it is cramped?

Thanks