SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   I love my new lid! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/i-love-my-new-lid-22452/)

divingindaytona 05-08-2010 01:44 PM

I love my new lid!

About 2 weeks ago I replaced my AGV DTV2 (demon top vent 2). I purchased this lid in 2003 so it was time to replace it.

I was going to replace this helmet last year, then I read that there would be a new helmet standard in 2010 so I waited. I was looking at the RF1000's. Now I know that I am going to keep this lid a long time and comfort is #2 on my list, protection being #1.

I ended up with a SHOEI RF1100. ITs very comfortable and breaths well, even when its +90 degrees out. The vents work very well, and you can actually notice the difference when the vents are open and when they are closed, unlike my AGV. The new rocker switch pushes the face shield out just a bit, to help to reduce fogging when its humid out, or on a cooler morning. In all the RF1100 gets 2 big thumbs up from me!

mattijw 05-08-2010 02:12 PM

+1 on that, I recently bought a xr1100 which i think is the UK version of the same lid and have done 1500 miles in it and its fantastic. Comfy, light, stable and very well ventilated when you want it to be and good and airtight when you don't. Mine came with a pinlock visor which it utterly unfoggable even in the rain at the traffic lights. Visor change is very simple and easy and thats what persuded me to buy over the equivalent arai lids as I swap clear to dark all the time. The only downside is it is slightly noisy but i wear earplugs all the time anyway. I love mine too!

Tweety 05-08-2010 03:16 PM

Yup, same for me love it!

I needed to get a pair of thinner cheek pads to keep from chewing on my cheeks, but other than that it fits like it was made for my head... I'm not to fond of the pinlock system in it self, but these have a larger view area than the previous variations, so they are OK... But fit the nose wing thingy in there and 9 times out of 10 you don't need it...

Wolverine 05-08-2010 06:36 PM

I have the RF1000 and love it. Did you get a solid or one w/ graphics?

VTRsurfer 05-08-2010 09:10 PM

I ordered an X12 the week before I got rear ended. I didn't get it until after the crash, but I've worn it a few times since while riding my wife's SV. I got pissed off with the Arai faceshield system on my Corsair RX 7. That's why I went with Shoei, after owning 4 Arais. The fit of the X12 is great, and I love how easy it is to change shields. I also like the UV protection of the shield.

Bluesuperhawk83 05-08-2010 10:49 PM

i managed to win a shoei z-two on ebay brand new for $95. I really like it considering im upgrading from a cheap hjc.

divingindaytona 05-09-2010 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine (Post 265205)

With the difference in price between the graphics and the solid version of this lid ($90!) I went for the solid. So I got the light silver. I figured that I could use that $90 for more mods.

In the last two months alone I have purchased a pair of racetech fork springs, saddlebags, ape CCT's, DB screen, and a optronics LED tailight.

Plus when I add another bike to the fold I can still use this lid.

Erik S. 05-09-2010 05:53 PM

I've had my RF-1000 for 2 years now, love it. When I replace it, I'll probably go with the RF-1100. The rocker switch for the faceshield isn't new, it is one of the things I like though.

mattijw 05-10-2010 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine (Post 265205)

I went with solid too, saved me over £100 on the list price of a graphics model. I very nearly went with the plain white but its a big lid and it looked huge in white so I went with plain old black. Looks decent with a black visor.

I might look into the breath guard tweety mentioned though, i only use the pinlock with my clear visor and i get the occasional bit of misting in heavy traffic with the black visor, still way better than my old agv x-vent though!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...h_DSC05593.jpg

AngryOlaf 05-10-2010 01:00 PM

+1 on the RFs... I picked up a black RF-1100 last fall and love it.

thefauxnarchist 05-10-2010 01:47 PM

nice to know. im still using my agv stealth. i like it alot, build quality isnt quite as good as the japanese helmets, but its still nice.

maybe ill give the rf1100's a look. my current best fit is an arai rx7 corsair, too bad they dont make them anymore. the corsair v's dont fit quite as well.

VTRsurfer 05-10-2010 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by thefauxnarchist (Post 265327)
my current best fit is an arai rx7 corsair, too bad they dont make them anymore. the corsair v's dont fit quite as well.

I agree. I tried on a new Corsair, and the fit wasn't nearly as good as the Shoei. My old Corsair RX7 fits great, like my new Shoei. But everyones head is different, so what feels great on my head won't work for everybody.

midwest22 07-03-2010 10:02 PM

Anyone here who went from a Shoei RF800 to the 1100? Im looking for comparisons since thats what Ive known for quite some time (possibly too long!).

The RF1100 is high on the list!

budd 07-16-2010 12:45 PM

It's great getting a new lid, I've just got back into bikes after a 10 yr lay off, the VTR is proving an excellent tool and is helping me no end getting my confidence back with it's easy speed non threatening persona, in short I'm loving the VTR!!!
Back to helmets, when I got the bike a few weeks ago I checked out my old helmets, I have around 10 used Arai helmets most damaged from various off’s, the best of a bad lot is a 'Giga' and is 21 yrs old !!!! (and can be seen on the left in the pic), it’s still in pretty good shape suffering only a couple of minor spills, but at over 21yrs old it was more than overdue for replacement.
I tried my car racing lid (on the right) and despite been nearly new it just didn’t feel or look right for biking, it’s surprising how much difference there is in size and shape between car and bike helmets, car helmets been more ‘bucket’ shaped which looks wrong on a bike.
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...m/P1060957.jpg
I went in search of a new lid and nearly bought a Shoei, I’ve never liked Shoei in the past, there shape and the old style ‘seat belt’ fastening never suited me, but I was pleasantly surprised when I found they have changed to D rings (probably years ago but I’ve not tried one on in 15 plus years) and are now much more comfortable than of old.
However I tried on a RX-7 and it was just like getting reacquainted with an old friend, but at £500 plus the price tag was more than I could afford so I reluctantly left it on the shelf, I tried various other (cheaper) makes but none came close to the Arai or even the Shoei. But as luck would have it dropped I on the RX-7 Corsair (centre) it is NOS (new old stock) and I come across it languishing on it’s own in a dealer close down sale, it’s not the colour I’d have chosen but at the price I couldn’t refuse (beggars can’t be choosers) but it’s deffinenatly growing on me particularly now it as the black visor.