SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   Hot weather Helmet Advice. Need good flowing/venting helmet (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/hot-weather-helmet-advice-need-good-flowing-venting-helmet-20438/)

RPV-Hawk 10-13-2009 10:16 AM

Hot weather Helmet Advice. Need good flowing/venting helmet

I currently use a 9 year old Arai RX7 RR3. It's the best venting helmet I've ever worn...but it's getting very old, worn out, and it's been dropped a few times, so should be replaced. (I've contacted Arai about having it serviced, and Arai said they would remove the Cert sticker off the helmet, and would not reccomend anyone wearing it, as they claim it's past it's "servicable" 5 year life.)

I also have a KBC VR-2 Dragon. It's an awesome helmet, for winter/cold weather riding, as it has nearly NO venting. However, this makes it completely unbearable in HOT weather.

So I've got 6 months before the Hot Weather returns...I'm wondering what you folks reccomend in the way of the best venting/ best airflow helmet you've worn in hot weather.

Reccomendations please.

Stevebis1 10-13-2009 10:34 AM

I'll be interested to see what passes for good. I can tell you my ICON mainframe Hooligan is not. vents in the top and in the chin seem to be only for show.

VTRsurfer 10-13-2009 11:00 AM

I have an Arai RX7 RR as well, the Sete Giberneau model, and I agree with you on its great venting. Mine's over 4 years old, but still in great shape. However, knowing I will have to replace it in the future, the almost $900 list price of a new one is disturbing. I've had 4 Arai's.

My wife says her Shoei RF 1000 kept her happy on the 90 to 100+ degree days that we rode up until a couple of weeks ago. And hers is solid black. It was less than $500 if I recall correctly. So I might go with a Shoei next time since my heavy discount source for Arai's has dried up.

rhorsley 10-13-2009 11:18 AM

I have a Scorpion EXO-1000 that I am really happy with. It has a chinbar vent, a forehead vent, and two vents toward the front on top. Then there are "exhaust" vents near the top on the back below the "spoiler" and at the base in the rear/sides. Here in the Inland Empire of Southern California, I regularly see 110+ on the way home from work. Nothing will keep you cool in those temps, but the airflow makes it liveable. Except for the lowest exhaust vents in the rear/sides, all of the vents are closeable for those cooler days too. And with the built-in fighter pilot style sun visor, I don't have to deal with sunglasses or changing faceshields either.

motojoe 10-13-2009 01:56 PM

Shoei is coming out with their X-12, so you may find deals on X-11's as closeouts.
I've had an X-11 for a few years now and love it. When I ready for another lid I won't hesitate to get an X-12. The rep came by the shop and let me try one on. Fits like my 11 only better.

RPV-Hawk 10-13-2009 05:48 PM

It seems some stores still have old stock on the RX7 RR4's... I might get this one.
http://www.nengun.com/arai/rx-7-rr4-hayden-gp

http://image.nengun.com/catalogue/pr..._hayden_gp.jpg

lazn 10-13-2009 07:29 PM

I just soak my shirt, jacket and pants every stop with water and pour a little water into my helmet..

But then again, we are talking Phoenix hot: 125+ so by the time you stop ~80 miles later you are bone dry and verging on heatstroke again.

comedo 10-13-2009 08:15 PM

It's worth checking out the new Bell Star. I had Arai's for more than 15 years and suddenly developed a knack for breaking side pods when I installed the face shields. The Bell shield mechanism is excellent. It also vents extremely well.

uchi 10-14-2009 04:22 AM

my hjc breathes really well. i think its a cl15 or something along those lines. it seems to let in a good bit of air around and the vent system works really well in 100 degree days. my new shark i havent tried on hot days yet but on warmer days it was getting warm inside and i can see myself riding with the shield open come summer time. but it fits 100 times better than my hjc does. i use it now in the cold weather, was just under 40 the other day and my head was still warm. but for fit between the two ill stick with the shark rsi

JDRiderCoach 10-14-2009 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by lazn (Post 238754)
I just soak my shirt, jacket and pants every stop with water and pour a little water into my helmet..

But then again, we are talking Phoenix hot: 125+ so by the time you stop ~80 miles later you are bone dry and verging on heatstroke again.

+1 on the water soaking. Nearly the same dry, hot issues in Vegas as in Phoenix, although it rarely cracks 115. 110 is normal for the summer. A good whore's bath every hour does the trick. Dump water down your jacket, pants and helmet. Water evaporates =cooling effect on your body. Not sure what the original poster considers "hot", but as mentioned above, a good high quality Shoei or Arai is going to give better ventilation than some of the cheaper brands. I've had a few of both over the years and the Shoei X-11 had the best ventilation of any I've tried. Now sporting a RF-1000 that has adequate ventilation. The other thing that's a must in hot weather is a good tinted face shield. Better is one of the polarized, reflective ones. May not seem like much, but it does bring the temp in your head down a few degrees, just like tinted windows on your car.

RPV-Hawk 10-14-2009 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by lazn (Post 238754)
I just soak my shirt, jacket and pants every stop with water and pour a little water into my helmet...

Not an option when I'm riding to/from work. This does work if you're riding through the desert for extended periods, but not so well if you plan on looking "professional" once you get to the office.

Erik S. 10-14-2009 06:44 AM

I don't see 110+, maybe 90's in the summer here in RI. I like Shoei RF-1000. 1 chin vent, 2 forehead, 2 rear vents. My favorite feature for keeping cool is in the shield mechanism. You can pull the lock lever down and it will open the face shield slightly, and you get a nice small flow of air across the face. This way the shield is still closed and your eyes are protected, but you get extra ventilation.

Also, the Shoei has foam has troughs in it for airflow across the top of the head to the rear vents.

I like it.

FlamFlamMan 10-14-2009 04:22 PM

I ride with a Shoei TZ-R and I think it does a plenty good job venting. I've heard that the X-11 (and I guess now X-12) has better venting systems, but I've never tried them.
A hot day around here is around 105 F.

cliby 10-14-2009 04:42 PM

there are a couple new models out from several makes (I think HJC and shoe in particular) pushing their best vented models yet.

this site does a really decent job of reviewing helmets. lots of info

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

superhawk22 10-14-2009 06:32 PM

The best venting helmets are going to cost you but you can find closeouts. Shoei x-11, 12 is even better, Arai corsair 5, Bell star, AGV gp tech, and if you want to go cheap and ugly GMAX makes one. All of the helmets above you can feel the air almost as soon as you take off, I own the Bell Star and the rf1k and the shoei only sees the road when I get hit with rain and the bell has to dry out. My friend owns the x-11 and we swapped when I had the RF and I regreted not speending the extra money. Cycle gear has the x-11 starting at $469 for solid colors and $499 for race rep paint jobs. You can find the bell for around $350 if you search hard enough, I've tried all of these except the Arai and the are all great breathing helmets but if it's as humid as it is here it helps (a lot) but it's still HOT.