SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   Help cleaning my arai! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/help-cleaning-my-arai-9552/)

98vtr1000 09-14-2006 06:59 PM

Help cleaning my arai!

I just bought another SH after having sold my first one 3 years ago. My helpmet RX7RRIV has been out of use until a few days ago. I HAVE to clean this thing. It is dirty on the inside form the hot SC summers I used to ride in and I wondered how I would go about cleaining it? I have removed the top/side pads (pretty easy) but now am sort of puzzled about the cheeck pads. How to they come out?
I searched google and the forum with no luck.

Thanks.

jonnykuhns 09-14-2006 07:42 PM

I believe I remember someone else doing this and I've done it with lots of hats over the years... the dishwasher. I wouldn't let it run through the dry cycle, but if you can't get the rest of the pads out it might be another option.

superbling 09-14-2006 08:02 PM

I douse it several times in the sink with lot's of warm water and some wool-lite soap. Rinse with cool water. I take the cheek pads out and wash separately since they are usually very filthy.

Humid down here so I need a fan to dry reasonably quick.

marmaladedad 09-14-2006 08:39 PM

Spray foam cleaner for quick cleans, Johnson & Johnson's shampoo for full cleanings.

Hawkrider 09-14-2006 08:56 PM

Okay, I did this about a month ago. Push back on the pads until the small retainer clip is clear of the chinbar inner trim. They will then come right out. Don't forget the upper pads snap in and out. The only part I've not been able to clean is the neck roll. Pay special attention to which liner goes to which pad if you decide to take them off the cheek pads. They only go on one way, and it's NOT intuitive.

98vtr1000 09-15-2006 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Okay, I did this about a month ago. Push back on the pads until the small retainer clip is clear of the chinbar inner trim. They will then come right out. Don't forget the upper pads snap in and out. The only part I've not been able to clean is the neck roll. Pay special attention to which liner goes to which pad if you decide to take them off the cheek pads. They only go on one way, and it's NOT intuitive.

I'll have to try again. I tried getting the cheek pads out but they did not "pop right out" and I was scared to break something. I undid the little plastic clip and then nothing happened. I'll keep messing with it - just wanted to know I was on the right track. Already washed the upper liner sink water and oxyclean - i love that stuff.

Thanks.

98vtr1000 09-15-2006 06:54 AM

okay, i'm a moron. The side pieces just "popped" out. I just needed to be a little more agresive with it.
Used oxyclean on the top liner and the cheek pads - holy cow they were freaking nasty! Sprayed some foamy cleaner (for my tennis shoes) on the bits that I could not remove (forehead and neck) and it worked great.

I'm looking forward to a clean house for my head!

Radiaoktiv 09-15-2006 10:44 AM

dunno about you, but if that helmet is more than 4 or 5 years old, i would look into getting a new one

98vtr1000 09-15-2006 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Radiaoktiv
dunno about you, but if that helmet is more than 4 or 5 years old, i would look into getting a new one

It is 4 or 5 years old. Would you get a new one due to safty concerns or just dirt/grime ect. ? or both?

I like the look of the helmet but it is damn loud on the highway. Tryin to keep the spending under control but if I can justify the new purchase under "safty related" i could probley pull it off. - yes, ther is a woman involved! I know you were thinking it........

RickB 09-15-2006 12:23 PM

a new model likely would have better ventilation, more safety technology and probably designed for less wind noise. Age can play a factor in the ability to absorb impact due to material breakdown but I wouldn't expect it at only 4-5 years old. Just my $.02

Hawkrider 09-15-2006 01:10 PM

I've got an RX7-RR3 that I still use occasionally. If the shell and EPS liner is in good condition then there is nothing to worry about. I bought a complete new interior for the helmet about 2 years ago, then I bought the Corsair. I actually like the softer material of the RR3 more than that of the Corsair, but the Corsair wicks moisture better.

Radiaoktiv 09-15-2006 03:15 PM

well depending on use and storage of course, they do need to be replaced as they are often exposed to the elements

i dont know about other manufaturers, but even my Shark owner's manual recommends replacing after 5 years

98vtr1000 09-15-2006 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I've got an RX7-RR3 that I still use occasionally. If the shell and EPS liner is in good condition then there is nothing to worry about. I bought a complete new interior for the helmet about 2 years ago, then I bought the Corsair. I actually like the softer material of the RR3 more than that of the Corsair, but the Corsair wicks moisture better.

I do find that the arai does not wick moisture very well and gets funky in a hurry but my main complaint with the thing is the freakin noise. I guess a $2 fix with earplugs makes more sense than a new $500 helmet! Shell is in great shape, I keep it in a bag and try not to ding it up. Also wax it sometimes to keep bugs and other crap from sticking to it so badly (plus it makes it shiney!). Guess no cause for alarm on an urgent gear purchase in the helpmet dept. I'll get back to sorting through the options for a winter jacket now... and new boots, ....and and.... and..... list list never stops...

Radiaoktiv 09-15-2006 03:27 PM

there is a lot of budget-priced quality helmets on the market these days compared to even 5 years ago

you dont have to spend $500 to get a good lid

sprhawk neil 09-15-2006 05:44 PM

after storeing mine for winter I wipe it down and spray it with fabreeze.they do reccomend replacing helmets after 5 years or even minor crashes but this comes from the same people who charge 100-500 $ for the helmets I'd say if it was stored it will be just fine ride-on dude!!!

98vtr1000 09-15-2006 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by sprhawk neil
after storeing mine for winter I wipe it down and spray it with fabreeze.they do reccomend replacing helmets after 5 years or even minor crashes but this comes from the same people who charge 100-500 $ for the helmets I'd say if it was stored it will be just fine ride-on dude!!!

Since it was taken care of, been in rain maybe 3 times ever, and never been in a crash and has been stored for the last 2 years of it's 5 year life - i'm gonna go for it and save some money for other fun stuff ont he list!