SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   gauntlet gloves (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/gauntlet-gloves-15590/)

Wolverine 07-28-2008 10:30 AM

gauntlet gloves

So I'm considering a new pair of AStar gauntlet sp-1 or sp-2's. I've never owned that style, so can someone give me the pro's / con's?

trinc 07-28-2008 11:28 AM

i'd say find a good store & try them on ( even if you buy them on the web ).
i was shopping for a new pair this spring & was suprised by the sizing. i have a small hand & it seemed i fitted into a medium (snug) or a large.

i tried a bunch of astar gloves so by model they may be different.
i ended up buying fieldsheer kangaroo but i've never heard anybody complain about astar quality.

tim

Condor 07-28-2008 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine (Post 173708)
So I'm considering a new pair of AStar gauntlet sp-1 or sp-2's. I've never owned that style, so can someone give me the pro's / con's?

had sp2's but they fit different in size large than my other astars gloves. i went to dianese for gauntlet gloves

Wolverine 07-28-2008 12:29 PM

I tried on AStars this weekend (not gauntlet), so I'm pretty sure on sizing. My hesitation is on the possibility of reducing my wrist movement. The short gloves I have now (Joe Rocket) just don't get along well with my AStars jacket. They don't fit well underneath the cuffs and I have to stretch my arm out to straighten the sleeve and get them lined up so to speak.

Condor 07-28-2008 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine (Post 173725)
I tried on AStars this weekend (not gauntlet), so I'm pretty sure on sizing. My hesitation is on the possibility of reducing my wrist movement. The short gloves I have now (Joe Rocket) just don't get along well with my AStars jacket. They don't fit well underneath the cuffs and I have to stretch my arm out to straighten the sleeve and get them lined up so to speak.

be careful with that. ihad a pair of SMX Astars gloves in large and assumed that all larges fit the same....i ordered my sp2's in size large and i figured ...theyre leather theyll stretch a bit...nope. too small after wearing them for a year...the large SMX's are perfect, but the large SP2's are a touch too small. they fit my hand like a medium would. but i have an astars jacket and the wrist of the gauntlet has never given me any concerns or problems with flexibility. i feel safer with both on...

cliby 07-28-2008 02:21 PM

for gauntlet that is the biggest concern - do you want the glove Over the wrist or potentially under. THe race-derived gauntlet gloves are clearly designed to go over tight fitting race leathers - a bigger/bulkier/all season coat might make the gauntlet a tight fit over the cuff - and then you have the worst of both worlds - won't fit over and too large a gauntlett to fit under. What do you wear for a jacket?

If they fit I think gauntlet is much safer, and keep bugs from flying up your wrist. Check out the Held gloves as well, very well made, last a long time and very protective.

Erik S. 07-28-2008 04:21 PM

My friend who rides all year round uses Helimot.com gloves. Made of buffalo. Custom sized to fit you, and about $150. Helimot also makes racing gloves and suits. I have no affiliation to them, they just have gotten good reviews, and 1 is from someone I know and trust.

Erik

Wolverine 07-28-2008 05:23 PM

I have an Alpinestars T-stunt full leather jacket. It has a snap that straps across the zipper of the cuff. I did drool over the Helds. Just too much $$! I'd like them to match the jacket.

newb007 07-31-2008 04:29 PM

I got some rhino gloves off of their ebay store. they fit great and have been a great glove so far.

MisfitToy 07-31-2008 05:51 PM

I got the alpinestar gp plus gloves their pretty nice but if youve never had your pinky and ring finger stuck together their a little weird at ffirst but I grew into them quick. Can get a lil hot when its almost 100 out but I like them The only big problem is with a longer throw in your brake or clutch the lil plastic spike sliders can get int the way of the lever

Wolverine 07-31-2008 06:24 PM

Thanks for the input. I've decided to try out the spx gloves from AStars. They are in between gauntlet and standard. I was a little hesitant going straight to full length.

FTMS 08-01-2008 04:10 AM

I have the SP1's, nice glove. They have plenty of flexabilty. They deffently run on the small size.

dproff2 08-21-2008 07:25 AM

I've owned a few pair of gauntlet style gloves and have really never noticed any flexibility problems with any of them (except for when I bought a jacket that was too big and the sleeve was pushing against the wrist strap of the glove :shock:)...could be luck, but that's not normally good for me :o

Anyone else that's currently looking...pick up the latest edition of Sport Rider magazine if you can, they just did a 12-14 page gauntlet buyer's guide with reviews.

j shizzy wizzy 06-02-2009 09:07 PM

I will only use gauntlets. When I went down, the outside edges of my wrists were rashed really bad.

krebcycle 06-03-2009 01:50 PM

I wear Cortech gauntlet gloves, they're great; the titanium in them really geeks me out.

Hotbrakes 06-03-2009 05:46 PM

If you're looking for gauntlets get some that have hard protection. The supple leather of the SP-1 and SP-2(~$60-100) does nothing for impact. I may be speaking for myself here, but I know my wrist comes in handy a few times a week and I would hate to lose its mobility. The A*s GP Plus($200+) have the best protection I've seen, a hard plastic shield that wraps around your wrist.

I currently have Cortech's (~$80)and love them. One finger has begun to pop through though, but I wear them all the time and dragging my hand on the pavement must have worn that finger out prematurely. I have a pair of Joe Rockets that are shorties, but the exact same design as their full gauntlet and they have completely self destructed from the palm out...low quality.

Wolverine 06-04-2009 01:16 AM

Holy dig up an old thread Bat Man:eek:. I made my glove purchase last year @ this time!!

5150 06-24-2009 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine (Post 220355)
Holy dig up an old thread Bat Man:eek:. I made my glove purchase last year @ this time!!

so update us on how they turned out after a year of wear? do tell all the pros and cons.

Wolverine 06-24-2009 08:50 PM

Started with these:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...97/SPXBLUE.jpg
Didn't fit me fer shit, so they went back. And I got these:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ovesmxblue.jpg

Total dirt style glove. Very thin with alot of feel. Probably won't offer as much protection if I go down hard. Wear is ok, for $60 I don't expect them to last real long.

Hotbrakes 11-27-2009 06:48 PM

Cortech Adrenaline or Scarabs...best protection for the price. Still loving mine and just got the winter Scarab's. They are pretty warm and comfortable now that they are broken in. Only complaint is they aren't waterproof.

Wolverine 11-28-2009 05:42 AM

I checked out the Cortechs @ my local shop. On two pairs the stitching was coming undone. Brand new gloves! I liked them, they fit good, but that issue scared me away. Good lookin gloves, just keep your receipt.
http://www.scooterunderground.ca/pro...ve_280x280.jpg

Hawkrider 11-29-2009 05:53 PM

Held Gloves. You get what you pay for.

zmaniv 11-29-2009 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 244698)
Held Gloves. You get what you pay for.

Agreed, I love mine