SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   Custom Ear Plugs (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/custom-ear-plugs-11898/)

xecutech 06-22-2007 06:58 AM

Custom Ear Plugs

Ok, I need ear plugs. After riding, my ears are numb, especially after riding on the interstate.
I tried some of the orange rubber ones, but they are long and the helmet pulls them off as I slip the helmet on.

Someone said that there are companies who make custom molded ear plugs and I would like some advice on them. Do any of you have the custom molded type and are the do it yourself kits any good?

Randman 06-22-2007 07:22 AM

I get mine by the bag full at Home Depot...diff colors....soft spongy, roll em up, shove em in, and they expand...comfy...never fall out when slippin the Helmet on...

drew_c14 06-22-2007 07:45 AM

Foam is the way to go. I've been using ear plugs almost every day for the last decade and I've tried everything that there is I think. Small, foam, disposable....perfect.

trinc 06-22-2007 08:06 AM

i have custom silicone ear plugs. i'd say it's not a diy sort of thing. only because you can get too much silicone and it will hurt your outer ear - plus it needs to have the correct upper part of the ear filled ( thats what helps lock it in.

i got mine done at the track for $45.00

if you don't like the foam ( i don't either, they need to expand just right to work ) go to home depot and get the soft rubber ones - i think they fit better than the foam ones and stay in place better ( at least for me )

tim

marmaladedad 06-22-2007 08:32 AM

Or, for the orange rubber (they're rubber????) ones, you can snip off the end parts so they don't stick out and get knocked out by your helmet.

cliby 06-22-2007 08:37 AM

I've read tests on all kinds - silicone by far come off as most comfortable. You can trim excess, but for most they shouldn't protrude very far if you have them in right. Custom molds can be made, but you should go somewhere to have fittings done - (they put a plug deep in the canal right to the bony portion, and then inject to make an imprint of the canal, then use that to make a silicone plug. they comfortable. I think they are worth the money if you are using them with an audio plug set(earbuds) but otherwise no advantage over the soft silicone disposable plugs.

Arctic Fire 06-22-2007 09:18 AM

I agree with the soft, disposable foamies. Alot healthier and easier. I have a large bag of Peltor lasers that I snipped the bell-end off of, and the don't come off when the helmet gets slipped on.

One thing to try, and i know this may seem silly but it made ALL the difference for me. Reach around the back of your head with the oppisite hand and pull back and up on the top of your ear as you insert. It opens up your ear canal and makes a World of difference. Everybodys ears are shaped differently, and mine only accept earplugs using this method.

I really couldn't believe the diff, and I feel that I have been wearing earplugs improperly for years and years before trying this method. Good Luck!

I also really recomend you try going to Peltors website, pretending you are a contractor, and the will send you a very large sample pack of every kind they make. Very Handy indeed, thats how I found the ones I like! http://209.200.67.149/peltor.com/pel...peltornext.htm

superbling 06-22-2007 09:26 AM

I too wear the orange ones and keep extras with me; spare sets in my jacket, pants, and tankbag. That way I always have a clean fresh set whenever I lose one or the get dirty. Your fingers get pretty grungy during a stop after fueling up, checking the tires, chain, etc.

You can find the molded sets just about anywhere ear protection is sold; even wallyworld has them in the gun/sporting goods section. They seemed to be hit or miss with folks regarding comfort and effectiveness.

Duck007 06-22-2007 04:59 PM

+1 on Artic Fire's insertion technique.....didn't realize that's what I was doing until you described it!
+1 on the cheap foamies....Hearos I think...

ali_squidz 06-22-2007 06:20 PM

I have custom ones from scorpion racing, that ran about 45$.
they actually are uncomfortable in my helmet and do pull out when i take my helmet off anyways. its odd because they sit flush with my ear but whatever. they are what they are. I gave up and just use them for shooting. they are DOT approved tho.

Tonyizcool1 06-22-2007 06:24 PM

I work at a Safety company that sells Many different styles of earplugs. I may be able to send you guys some samples. Disposable and reusable ones. PM if yall are interested.

xecutech 06-23-2007 11:11 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to get some foamies today and will maybe purchase a custom set with earbuds at the next bike event that's selling them.

If you don't wear ear plugs now and never want to, do not get d&d carbon slipons... you will need ear protection with them. I love the sound they make, but my ears being numb after rides makes me a little nervous.

drew_c14 06-23-2007 11:17 AM

+1 on the insertion method described above

That is the "correct" way to do it. Never really made a difference to me, but it's worth a shot.

bluevtr 06-23-2007 11:29 AM

I'll vouch for the insertion also. BTW, never really wore plugs before, due to my other bike being a GL1800 Goldwing, and young and foolish prior to that, but since I did the bafflectomy, I decided to wear them on my last ride, and discovered I actually enjoyed the ride more. I also found that I was riding more in the powerband than I generally do. I think the reason is that since some of the mechanical clatter is muted, it doesn't sound so strained and rattly. YMMV

Zorbavtr04 06-28-2008 04:01 PM

Is not just the bike noise the wind noise is also a factor there is a table of limits of
time exposure per db. 95 db two hours etc. If you don't wear plugs and exceed
these limits you will damage you hearing. I think 60 mph will equal 95 db of wind noise
so if you add the bike noise to that you will probably excced the limits. 100db 30min
I don't have the table in front of me. (this is not a linear scale)

VTRumble 06-28-2008 05:48 PM

+1 on the Hearos, I used to get the orange ones from work and they work OK, but the Hearos seem softer and seal better. I got them at Wally World in the health care section, near the swim ear plugs.

comedo 06-28-2008 06:41 PM

One day I'll find the perfect ear plug that is cheap, comfortable and works well.
Whitehorse Press has an ear plug sampler kit for $25. You get 16 pairs of ear plugs of various types. You might find one that works particularly well for you.
I had a custom pair made a number of years ago but I rarely use them. It was hard to get them to seal well and, as ali squidz has said, they tended to fall out when I removed my helmet. I learned to take off my helmet a few steps before I stood near a toilet or urinal.

Erik S. 06-28-2008 08:20 PM

Also, when choosing your pair, try some that have different "dB" ratings. The higher the rating = less noise, and less comfort. We have 3 different ratings at work.

You may not want to block out everything, you might not hear and Emergency Vehicle.

VTRsurfer 06-28-2008 10:18 PM

I'm 61 and I've had tinitus (ringing in the ears) 24/7 for the last 8 years or so.
I told the ear Dr. that I ride a motorcycle (he does too, he drove the Dakar race about 15 years ago). He said that my hearing damage is mainly due to shooting on the range with no ear protection back in the late '60s while in the Navy.
Too late for me now, I'm used to it anyway, but protecting your ears is a good idea. If I go to a club with loud music, it actually HURTS my ears nowadays.:(

Zorbavtr04 06-29-2008 04:18 AM

A few years ago I had a custom set made ($60) at the motorcycle show in D. C.
they sort of screw on and off you insert them at the 3 oclock position rotate counter
clock wise to the nine oclock position and reverse to take them off, puling the top of
your ear to insert. I think the talent and skill of the person doing the fitting may
have a lot to do with the results. I swear by mine use them all the time.